The Dirt - on Netflix

Gotta say, they did a good job, and unlike Queen, they didn't pull the punches. Worth the watch.
In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Comments

• M11M11 Posts: 837
    edited March 2019
    I had just commented on this movie on the "What are you watching?" thread. :lol:
    So I'll just repeat what I wrote there:

Saw this one on Netflix last night. Very entertaining and very true to the book which I read back in 2001 when it came out. It has all the debauchery you would expect from Mötley Crüe and the 80's (there's a scene with the famous "Ozzy snorting ants" story). They did though omit everything that came after Vince Neil rejoined in the 90's (which is covered in the book); the Generation Swine album, Tommy Lee marrying Pamela Anderson, their sex tape, and then Lee doing prison time for beating her up and the movie also omitted when Lee left and they replaced him with Randy Castillo and Samantha Maloney.

Post edited by M11 on
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    edited March 2019
    I've also watched it...

As did my wife, her review was: "If this was released 15 years ago I would've had to change my panties several times".
    I feel kind of the same, if I got this as a teen I would have been really excited and would probably love it, at 27 I am not so sure...

I do like it but there is a lot things that could've been so much better. The casting and music works much better than I imagined and the fact errors and messed up timeline didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
    My big concern is with how much ground it tries to cover though... It sort of brushes over a lot of stuff and cuts into montages a lot in order to be able to squeeze to content into a less than two hour movie... I think it would've benefitted from being made in a mini-series in six pieces or whatever, as it's on Netflix it doesn't really matter anway, know what I mean. It gets a bit too compressed...

Overall a lot better than I thought it would be and definitely a must watch if you like Mötley but still leaves the idea of how this could've been so much more...
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 601
    Crowley, I agree it was well done but could've been even better with a little more fleshing out.   Would've been better as a 2-parter I think.  For a movie I think they did as much as they could given the time limitations.  
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    It was entertaining, but the timeline of events was way out of whack, I can suspend disbelief, but when you know when or how something happened, it makes it hard... At least they broke the wall and acknowledged some stuff was fictionalized, and they didn't sugar coat all of it, like Bohemian Rhapsody, and while the timeline and specifics were scewed at least it wasn't made up out of a bunch of other bands stories like Rock Star.

On a side note, when the band formed, there was no such thing as Hulkamania, Brother, so Tommy wearing a Hulkamania shirt when he met Mick was an egregious mistake.
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    I really look forward to watching this, but it will have to wait until I get back home in mid-April. Judging from the trailer, it doesn't look like they got the guitars right.
  • Crowley, I agree it was well done but could've been even better with a little more fleshing out.   Would've been better as a 2-parter I think.  For a movie I think they did as much as they could given the time limitations.  

Yeah, I think this was the issue if there was one. They glossed over the last 20 years like it was nothing. And comparatively, I get why that is. But as it IS Netflix, they could have made it into episodes rather than just one 2 hour movie.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    From what I can gather, this thing has been in the works for years. I wonder if the movie format is a legacy of this, as NetFlix wouldn't have been a viable platform when work began.
    Sirion said:
    From what I can gather, this thing has been in the works for years. I wonder if the movie format is a legacy of this, as NetFlix wouldn't have been a viable platform when work began.
    MTV had the film rights, but never did anything with it. Considering that Netflix has had the film rights since 2017, and has been making original content since 2012, they could have done that, 4 one hour episodes would have been way better.

I don't mind the last 20 years being ignored, the book was published 19 years ago.

Reading the reviews is brutal, now I understand why everything needs to be sugar coated. Complaining that the movie treats women like trash... Well, it IS about Motley Crue.

• Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    i watched it Friday night on Netflix. Well, I LOVED IT!  It isn’t a perfect movie but it is very entertaining. The casting of Tommy was dead on!  Some really sad moments for Vince. Great band. Awesome sound track. A lot of stuff left out due to time but still a must see. That band just wanted chics and to have a good time. I support their cause. 
    https://youtu.be/7egCQt0mhQ8
    Here is the sound track. 
    Sorry I posted in the wrong thread.. What a band, glad they finished it together.  The final performance of Home Sweet Home from LA a few months ago was moving to say the least.

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    https://youtu.be/7egCQt0mhQ8
    Here is the sound track. 

Well, it is Mötley best of, more or less... But I just gotta say that those three new songs and Madonna cover they've done are among the most abysmal shit I've ever heard. And I don't see the point of making them either for the song as they have shitload of great music they can use. Weird.

Getting mixed reviews this far... Not really surprised, I haven't watched Bohemian so I can't compare but can't imagine it being that much better to be honest. Fucking credibility-dependent douchebags writing reviews.
    i watched it Friday night on Netflix. Well, I LOVED IT!  It isn’t a perfect movie but it is very entertaining. The casting of Tommy was dead on!  Some really sad moments for Vince. Great band. Awesome sound track. A lot of stuff left out due to time but still a must see. That band just wanted chics and to have a good time. I support their cause. 
    I know if someone other than me noticed the 2 dudes sitting on the floor, at the start of Nikki's OD scene, it's gotta be you.
    Yep, Slash and Duff. 
    Yep, Slash and Duff. 
    Shame on you... Slash and ADLER