›

Johan - Ibanez Tube Screamer: NEW -vs- 1981 ORIGINALS - TS808 and TS9!

Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,266
edited March 2019 in Effects Forum
He didn't do much playing in a lead context (which is where it would have really mattered), but still, quite honestly, they all sound so similar to me that I don't hear ANY difference worth worrying about. 808, 9, old, new -- it doesn't matter very much. They all sound good. Perhaps that's the internet and the listening environment, but for me, this is kind of debunked. And that's where Johan really shines -- he's the Guitar Tone Mythbuster.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
-- David St. Hubbins.

Comments

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    I thought the old and new TS808s sounded similar. The newer reissue sounded maybe a bit brighter with more definition but that could be good or bad. The original TS808 was loved because of its darker full bodied tonal quality. An overdrive pedal approach to mid gain the way the Big Muff was to fuzz.

The original TS9 was developed to provide slightly more gain, brightness and definition to players that considered those qualities a better match for their tonal desires and the majority of players jumped to the TS9. I too, at the time, purchased the TS9 but found it couldn't replace some of what I loved about the TS808 so I kept and used both pedals as needed.

I could get by with either of the TS808s demo'd in the video but slightly prefer the original just because it sounds exactly like it did when I first used them. The newer TS808 demo'd sounds like the original with a touch of TS9 added to it. Still very good but not exact.

The TS9s demo'd, to my ears, sounded very different from one another. The original sounds perfect for the tones its meant to create. The newer version had a harsh / kind of nasty tonal quality that I would never use and would totally shut down a purchase if I were trying out the newer pedal in a guitar store.

Three of these pedals I could happily own and utilize but ......  The newer TS9 .......... no. Just no.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,648
    I believe I do hear a difference between the 808 and the 9 but it is very slight. Between the old and new pedals, if there is any it is so miniscule I can't tell.

Johan does really good videos and seems to come up with a lot of great ideas with things to try out. I hope he keeps it up :) 
  • I believe I do hear a difference between the 808 and the 9 but it is very slight.
    Yeah, I heard that too. The 9 has a little more gain (assuming they're set at identical settings)  It's just so slight it doesn't matter to me AT ALL.  

Also if they are set at identical settings, couldn't I just roll that gain on the 9 back a touch and be in 808 territory?

So I don't really see any practical difference in which pedal to own (other than cost and availability), and I don't hear any significant difference that matters in my world. 
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    The TS808 works better with singles because of the thicker bump in the mids. The TS9 works better with humbuckers because it allows for more string definition to come through and has more at the high end. Also, the differences between the two are more apparent when using single coils.
  • Those are good points, Rick.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,638
    inmyhands said:
    I thought the old and new TS808s sounded similar. The newer reissue sounded maybe a bit brighter with more definition but that could be good or bad. The original TS808 was loved because of its darker full bodied tonal quality. An overdrive pedal approach to mid gain the way the Big Muff was to fuzz.

The original TS9 was developed to provide slightly more gain, brightness and definition to players that considered those qualities a better match for their tonal desires and the majority of players jumped to the TS9. I too, at the time, purchased the TS9 but found it couldn't replace some of what I loved about the TS808 so I kept and used both pedals as needed.

I could get by with either of the TS808s demo'd in the video but slightly prefer the original just because it sounds exactly like it did when I first used them. The newer TS808 demo'd sounds like the original with a touch of TS9 added to it. Still very good but not exact.

The TS9s demo'd, to my ears, sounded very different from one another. The original sounds perfect for the tones its meant to create. The newer version had a harsh / kind of nasty tonal quality that I would never use and would totally shut down a purchase if I were trying out the newer pedal in a guitar store.

Three of these pedals I could happily own and utilize but ......  The newer TS9 .......... no. Just no.
    in the '90s, before Klon and Fulltone kicked off the boutique explosion, most guys i knew that stacked pedals used an 808 to color the sound, and a ts9 to drive the amp.  a friend of mine still uses this configuration, and i really don't hear the difference between his set up, and those i've heard costing 3 or 4 times as much.
  • RoadRacerXRoadRacerX Posts: 852
    My new gold TS9 sounds best because, well......it's gold! =)
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,798
    I have the Mooer copy, and it's great. No need for more.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,932
    Interesting video. I didn't hear a difference between the two TS-808's. I thought the new TS-9 sounded a bit thinner and more plastic-y than the vintage one, but maybe I'm nitpicking. Overall I liked the TS-808 more, it sounds more "throaty". Then again, I don't use OD pedals, so...  moot point.