Comments

• DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,773
    I agree100%

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
    I'm just thankful it wasn't in all caps.  :s

I too agree 100%
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,621
    One of mine:

Unless you play your instrument for a living you really isn't a musician you are merely a guy that plays music as a hobby - and that's fine. I don't become a constructor just becuase I build my own porch...
    I don't play music for a living - I does it merely becuase it brings me joy and therefore I only play and learn from music I enjoy playing and listening to. Easy.

Just my two cents. No offense intended.
  • Wow, talk about opening a can of worms...

I have never earned a single penny from music. Some people might say it's a hobby, but to me it's much more. I suppose in the end I am just a guy who fools around with a guitar...
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,794
    I'm not a serious musician, therefore I don't listen to genres and styles of music I don't like  :p
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,077
    This ^^^
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    edited March 2019
    I don't think the sentiment here is bad, to but to make it an imperative is ignorant at best and deceptive at worst, and moralist in any case. My big gripe with this is that it always tends to privilege genres that well… enjoy a privileged position: it might be that everybody should, say, try to learn from the Dixie Dregs, but try to convince their fans to give Winger a listen without preconceptions, and chances are that you'll get a lot of strange looks. Somehow, these calls for open-mindedness normally seem to reproduce hierarchical notions of musical worth, with jazz and classical at the top.

They are also surprisingly narrow: the faults in this line of thinking become even more obvious when considering non-western music. It might be possible to get a decent overview of mainstream jazz and classical, and even most branches of popular music, but how many people do actually go on to listen to, say, Javanese gamelan music? How many take the time to understand the subtleties of Chinese traditional opera, or to learn the differences in nuance between the Norwegian and the Scottish schools of folk fiddling? The uncomfortable (or wonderful, depending on your view) truth is that there is too much music to indulge in in one lifetime; I don't think you could really get even a superficial understanding of every significant music tradition in the few decades allotted to us. So by all means, listen to everything you come over and try to use it, but don't feel the need to look in the same places as everybody else, and feel free to call out people on their shit when they accuse you of now kowtowing to the right idols.
    Post edited by Sirion on
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,599
    i really don't give a shit about the Dregs, or Winger.  i mean, i guess i like Winger pretty good.  this whole thing of mine stems from an experience i had in my 20s, that led to a whole new world.  i was a decent rock guitarist, by '80s standards, at the time, but this whole town was simply ALIVE with live music in a way i lack the tools to describe, here.  a girlfriend of one of my brothers here, she had a guitarist back out of her gig, less than 4 days out.  he asked me to help.  this is a friend of mine, now.  i would have almoat died onstage to help her out. he's that kinda friend.  so, i learned her set in 4 days.  Tom Waits, Nick Cave, some Dinah Washington, Nina Simone, and Billie.  it was just she and me.  i had to stomp my foot on a mic'd piece of wood for drums, so i had to learn the groove for those tunes and focus on simplicity and efficiency.  man guess how that two piece gig went?  it was a medium deal, maybe 4-500 people outdoors.  we fucking MURDERED that shit.  DESTROYED it.  having a few hundred people LOSE their shit over the space of four or five songs..  man..  people can really affect you, when you affect them like that.  opened my eyes to a whole new dimension of what's possible.
    edited March 2019
    And yet, at least from what I am have seen here, your conception of music is as limited as the rest of us – and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. As for your life, we all have our eye-opening moments, and they can be wonderful experiences, which I suppose the meme touches on, meaning that it is not inconvenient, and since it describes an ideal that is impossible I would not regard it as true. I suppose it is a nice sentiment as long as one does not think one is achieving it, and at that point it might be pertinent to ask if a more realistic phrasing is possible.
    Post edited by Sirion on
    Sirion said:
    And yet, at least from what I am have seen here, your conception of music is as limited as the rest of us – and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. As for your life, we all have our eye-opening moments, and they can be wonderful experiences, which I suppose the meme touches on, meaning that it is not inconvenient, and since it describes an ideal that is impossible I would not regard it as true. I suppose it is a nice sentiment as long as one does not think one is achieving it, and at that point it might be pertinent to ask if a more realistic phrasing is possible.
    when i posted this, i had the idea that there would be a few folks that wouldn't get it.  i put two of my children through private school by playing live guitar.  it's not many places left in the world whereby a person has the year in, year out opportunity to make something like that happen.  probably, NY, Nashville, maybe Las Vegas, maybe not Las Vegas..  lol  but, my point, such as it is, is that you really can't allow yourself to be boxed in by what you want, to the exclusion of what others need, and what a given audience wants to hear.  over the years, your understanding of music, and ESPECIALLY, your relationship to your instrument, deepens exponentially.  necessity is a real motherfucker, and it will very quickly point you toward whatever shortcomings you have, as a professional.  the things we don't understand, often simply confuse us, at first.  then, after awhile, we come to grips with the work we need to do to get it done.  after a bit of time, i mean, it's a part of your ordinary mind.  like breathing or taking a piss.  once internalized, these lessons make themselves known in whatever genre you choose to play.  it can't be helped.
    edited March 2019
    So, by "listening and learning from all genres and styles of music", you basically mean "follow the money"? I guess either idea is fine, but I have a hard time seeing that they are terribly closely related. Oh well.
    Post edited by Sirion on
    Sirion said:
    So, by "listening and learning from all genres and styles of music", you basically mean "follow the money"? I guess either idea is fine, but I have a hard time seeing that they are terribly closely related. Oh well.
    don't feel attacked.  really.  unless you have daddy money, a trustfund, etc, it's just a decision you've gotta make, as an individual.  "do i love playing live music enough to swallow my own ego, and get some shit done?"  playing music in my bedroom is just not a thing i can get into, now.  i'm not 13 yrs old anymore.  i need a challenge, and there's no bigger challenge than to try to get on the same page with a sub that just shows up outta nowhere.  and man, if you can't do it, NOBODY GETS PAID.  the whole endeavor requires a larger focus.  i posted this in the non-dino section for a real reason.  lmao
    edited March 2019
    I'm fine, man; I can handle a disagreement. I must, however, admit that I have no idea of how what you are talking about now is connected to the opening statement, which is a much broader, more curious, and ultimately much more impractical idea. Your experiences ultimately seem to correspond with many a hired gun-type players I've met and talked to over the years, most of whom can handle a fair amount of genres, but nowhere near what the opening meme calls for. Ultimately, I think it is about me reading it literally, perhaps more so than its creator anticipated, and you reading your own experiences into it. All texts exist on the level of the reader, after all.

(I think this is going to be my last post on the matter: the tone is getting nasty, and whilst I love discussing semantics it is not worth souring the mood in here for.)
    Post edited by Sirion on
    Sirion said:
    I'm fine, man; I can handle a disagreement. I must, however, admit that I have no idea of how what you are talking about now is connected to the opening statement, which is a much broader, more curious, and ultimately much more impractical idea. Your experiences ultimately seem to correspond with many a hired gun-type players I've met and talked to over the years, most of whom can handle a fair amount of genres, but nowhere near what the opening meme calls for. Ultimately, I think it is about me reading it literally, perhaps more so than its creator anticipated, and you reading your own experiences into it. All texts exist on the level of the reader, after all.

(I think this is going to be my last post on the matter: the tone is getting nasty, and whilst I love discussing semantics it is not worth souring the mood in here for.)
    some people talk, some people do things.  it's always good to remember that, and as a result, endeavor to not live in your own box.  i hate boxes, me.  and i hate the perspective they engender.  ESPECIALLY over a few years' time.
    some people talk, some people do things.
    My experience has been that those who not only do, but get things done, are usually pretty good at both.