GRAHAM BONNET Relaunches ALCATRAZZ With Guitarist JOE STUMP; New Studio Album In The Works

2»

Comments

• axeaxe Posts: 953
    Well thank you sir!
    Great to see you too.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,473
    Once a decade, Steve?  ;)

I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    I know guys and I apologize for skipping out on my moderator duties. I had much turmoil in my life and was trying to survive.Things are looking better now though!
    Great to see this place again!

axe
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,473
    Not much moderation required anymore.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    And that my friend is a good thing.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,684
    I saw Stump live about ten years ago. It was a killer gig. He played his own stuff along with Purple and Yngwie songs. We chatted before and after the gig, took pictures (Which I have NO idea where they might be) and had a great time all in all. Alcatrazz suits him as a glove, IMHO. Hopefully they tour and I get to see them (Graham is one of my favorite singers and one of the few I haven't seen live.)

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,314
    edited January 8
    I was excited when Joey Tafolla got the gig with the Graham Bonnet band. I thought he would be perfect for an Alcatrazz reunion...since he is from that neo classical guitar style of the 80's and was a Shrapnel guy. Jimmy Waldo from Alctrazz is also now in Bonnet's band....so I thought it would turn into that. I always loved Joey as a player and loved his 'Out of The Sun' record. I then saw the Graham Bonnet band with Tafolla playing live on Facebook at Daryl Hall's club....and Tafolla completely botched most of Malmsteen's solos. Not sure if he was having an off night or if he just has lost something since the 80's and 90's. 
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,791
    Duojett71 said:
    I was excited when Joey Tafolla got the gig with the Graham Bonnet band. I thought he would be perfect for an Alcatrazz reunion...since he is from that neo classical guitar style of the 80's and was a Shrapnel guy. Jimmy Waldo from Alctrazz is also now in Bonnet's band....so I thought it would turn into that. I always loved Joey as a player and loved his 'Out of The Sun' record. I then saw the Graham Bonnet band with Tafolla playing live on Facebook at Daryl Hall's club....and Tafolla completely botched most of Malmsteen's solos. Not sure if he was having an off night or if he just has lost something since the 80's and 90's. 
    I'm wondering if he might have just tried doing his own thing with those solos. 
    Haffner said:
    Duojett71 said:
    I don't think so....at least not how I remember it. He was trying to play the solos how they were on the record and he kept flubbing notes and his playing was very sloppy. Almost like he was nervous. I did find this video from the show where Joey pretty much nails everything on "Too Young To Die..". Maybe it was just one or two songs and that is what stood out.

• Andy GAndy G Posts: 996
    Duojett71 said:
    Haffner said:
    Duojett71 said:
    I don't think so....at least not how I remember it. He was trying to play the solos how they were on the record and he kept flubbing notes and his playing was very sloppy. Almost like he was nervous. I did find this video from the show where Joey pretty much nails everything on "Too Young To Die..". Maybe it was just one or two songs and that is what stood out.

The guitar playing in the video doesn't match the audio...
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,684
    Andy G said:

Yeap. Neither do the vocals for that matter. Foul play definitelly detected.
    Andy G said:
    Duojett71 said:
    Haffner said:
    Duojett71 said:

Wow....your right. I just rewatched it. I found the Facebook link where the gig was aired live. Joey's tone is noticeably different. His playing on the Malmsteen stuff is as bad as I remember it. I am sure for even a guitarist at that level, Malmsteen is hard to copy....but Tafolla used to be better than this. Even his playing on the Schenker stuff isn't great. Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/darylshouseclub/videos/1685422598190408/
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 579
    edited January 11
    Damn Bonnet sounds fantastic.  Tafola does a decent (not great) job except for the Malmsteen solos....Jet to Jet was painful...
    Post edited by MelodicGrit on