GRAHAM BONNET Relaunches ALCATRAZZ With Guitarist JOE STUMP; New Studio Album In The Works

From Bravewords:

Jimmy Kay from Canada's The Metal Voice spoke to Graham Bonnet at this years NAMM show. Graham told The Metal Voice that they were planning on relaunching the 80's band Alcatrazz.

Bonnet said in the interview, "We have just put the band together and we have a new guitarist. Basically we will be going out and  playing the Alcatrazz songs live and we will be recording a new Alcatrazz studio album. Also on the studio album we will be having a few guest players so some good surprises coming up."

Graham Bonnet manager Giles Lavery explained in more details that the guitarist for the relaunch of Alcatrazz will be Joe Stump (Reign Of Terror, Holy Hell) and that a new double live Alcatrazz album will be recorded (and filmed) on the upcoming Japanese tour. The live album will feature the entire Alcatrazz No Parole From Rock And Roll album and the entire Rainbow Down To Earth album. Plus rarely performed tracks from Bonnet's days with Impellitteri and Blackthorne.

Alcatrazz keyboardist Jimmy Waldo also added in a separate interview: "The last two Graham Bonnet Band albums stylistically have essentially been Alcatrazz albums as we were aiming for that direction anyways. With our new guitar player Joe Stump we feel we can take Alcatrazz to the next level. Due to popular demand it's time to bring the name back."

More details to be announced on upcoming Alcatrazz studio album which will feature many guests from Graham's musical past.

Alcatrazz lineup:

Graham Bonnet - vocals
Jimmy Waldo - Keyboards
Joe Stump - Guitar
Beth Ami Heavenstone - Bass
Mark Benquechea - Drums

Comments

• I can play full NPFRR too (as it's on my YTB channell). Graham, CALL ME!

Seriously, Joe Stump can reproduce note for note Yngwie and, at least, they're two original members.
  • Saw Stump live a few years ago. He is more Yngwie than Yngwie. At least the band will sound like people expect Alcatrazz to sound...
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    I don't understand why Gary Shea is not the bass player....well I guess I do because Beth Heavenstone is Graham's girlfriend.....but Gary did the reunion tour in Japan with Bonnett and Waldo as Alcatrazz a year or so ago. Having Gary on board would make it more legitimate imo. Having said that this is cool news and I will be interested in the new studio and live albums. I was a fan of all three original Alcatrazz albums....even the more commercial pop of 'Dangerous Games'.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,627
    Everything Alcatrazz ever did was pretty darn good though I regard the No Parole with Yngwie as their finest hour. Joe is a good fit. This might be really good if Graham's voice holds up. I am not so sure, but hopeful :) 
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,058
    This might be really good if Graham's voice holds up. I am not so sure, but hopeful :) 
    From the live videos I've seen recently, Graham sounds quite incredible actually... He's absolutely nailing Hiroshima Mon Amour, Stand in Line, Since You Been Gone, etc. in a way he never did back in the 80s. some folks have suggested he's miming much of it.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,787
    Lots of bands are playing with backing tracks these days. Doing it 100% live is becoming a thing of the past. :'(
  • Lots of bands are playing with backing tracks these days. Doing it 100% live is becoming a thing of the past. :'(

That's unacceptable, why gig in the first place if you can't hack it

• this is a cool idea.  i hope it happens.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,688
    Joe Stump is the best person if not Yngwie or Steve.
  • Am I allowed to say that Joe Stump is the most unfortunate name for a guitar guy?   Coz it is.  Also if I am late to that opinion and this is already a common giggle?  Sorry, I can be late to things sometimes.  My question is this.  Graham Bonnet is already....part meme to begin with.  Why not skip this half assed shit that won't work for a band this old, this cult or this ummm.....that and go STRAIGHT to hologram?  
    Graham Bonnet is kind of a meme.  lol  love the guy, too, but..  yeah.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,113
    edited February 2019
    I saw him several months back at the Michael Schenker Fest show & he was head and shoulders above all the other vocalists, by far.... I was close enough to verify that it was all him too, no miming or whatever; and I'll say this: he still has it, big time.Then back last October, the Graham Bonnet Band blew through town, unfortunately I couldn't make it but a couple of my friends did & here's an exact text message communication between myself & my friend Mike: he sends me two cel phone vids, here's my response >>> Stitsel: "wow he has the raw power still....how was the guitarist?Did they do any deep Rainbow cuts or just the standard fare?" >>> Mike:"Dude,the show was awesome,He kept this up for almost an hour and a half.I thought his lungs were going to fly out of his mouth.His guitarist was a total Yngwie clone all the way down to his looks.The bulk of the show was actually Alcatrazz material with other cuts from his career.Just a few Rainbow and Schenker tunes as well as an Impelliteri number". >>> Stitsel: "And I'm kicking myself now for being weak :s
    Post edited by Stitsel on
  • axeaxe Posts: 953
    Joe always wanted to be in Dio. I think this is the next best thing for him.

axe
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,931
    I far preferred a full studio album with Michael Schenker Group, but this is cool.

Joe is a fine player and has been a very good email friend. I imagine playing the Rainbow stuff will be a great thrill to him because, though he feels put upon to play a lot of Yngwie-styled licks (audiences want Shred a lot these days), his favorite guitarist is actually Blackmore and his favorite band Rainbow.

I've actually asked him to check this place out, as he is a die hard disciple of the above players as well as Uli, Michael, and Gary. But he's always doing shows and getting recordings together.

I definitely prefer Joe to Tafolla, though they're both really good.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,931
    Lots of bands are playing with backing tracks these days. Doing it 100% live is becoming a thing of the past. :'(

That's unacceptable, why gig in the first place if you can't hack it

This is a great point, but audiences today don't seem as picky about that now. They seem to just want the performers to perform.

From what I've heard (from several, pretty trustworthy sources besides here at DRG) he really is nailing a lot of those songs these.days. I know I freeked out when I heard him obviously, nakedly sing Assault Attack a couple of years ago. That's a real bear to sing.

But even if he did use backing tracks, I really wouldn't care. I just want to see him succeed. At one point he was a good friend, and was there for me when my little brother died.

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    axe said:
    Joe always wanted to be in Dio. I think this is the next best thing for him.

axe
    Dude....great to see you back. Where the hell have you been?