iRig HD2 + AmpliTube review

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
-- David St. Hubbins.

Comments

• My next buy for sure. I am glad there's no latency, that was my main concern.

Were I to face the same issue you had with the amplitube software, is this something that can be corrected ina way that doesn't involve the IK crew? By that I mean, is this something I could fix by say, asking you about it, to unlock the full version? (since you already did it) or is this something only they can setup for you?

Also, is the stuff they include enough (say a decent Marshall type amp, and a couple effects?) or do the extras really make a difference? I understand you might not know this since you might not have the cost extra stuff, but is the included stuff decent sounding enough? I do not intent to use this for recording as of now. This is a practice, learning device for me.

Thanks for the review.
  • It's $100. Don't expect the moon.  For Dino stuff, you get like a generic JCM800 kind of amp and some generic effects and some presets. If you want the better stuff (specific amp models, cabs, and pedals), it's paid upgrades. But if it's truly "a practice/learning device," you can EASILY get by with what they give you with the basic purchase. In a practice use case, I need a workable tone, not GREAT tone. If you need to upgrade from there, it's not all that expensive -- less than $100 I think to get to the next level.
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • My problem with Irig is: If I'll need a control board for live playing (patch change, wah, on/off for fx), I'm keeping with my current pedalboard. It fits my sound need and It have 0 latency, and sounds the way I like, without any adaptation for normal use.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,272
    edited February 2019
    My problem with Irig is: If I'll need a control board for live playing (patch change, wah, on/off for fx), I'm keeping with my current pedalboard. It fits my sound need and It have 0 latency, and sounds the way I like, without any adaptation for normal use.
    Despite the claims, I couldn't see using iRig live. 

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • It's $100. Don't expect the moon.  For Dino stuff, you get like a generic JCM800 kind of amp and some generic effects and some presets. If you want the better stuff (specific amp models, cabs, and pedals), it's paid upgrades. But if it's truly "a practice/learning device," you can EASILY get by with what they give you with the basic purchase. In a practice use case, I need a workable tone, not GREAT tone. If you need to upgrade from there, it's not all that expensive -- less than $100 I think to get to the next level.
    Because of the baby, my current practicing is completely unplugged. So anything is an improvement over that.

I don't need a good tone for that. But it would be nice if it doesn't suck. I tend to play longer/better when I have a good sound to work with. But then again, don't we all? ;)
  • I use my old iRig into my IPad and run Bias FX. It’s a great practice tool. 
  • Just pulled the trigger on this one. Got a good price thanks to black friday sales. Should be here this week. Will let you guys know how it works for me.
  • I had to replace their USB cord because it crapped it out.
    Here's a tip
    Find or get yourself a better quality USB cord than what they provide. It's a fairly common cord -- you may already have one around the house. 

Using a better quality USB cord has been a very good  upgrade. It stabilized the connection considerably, so that it doesn't lose the connection every time you bump it.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • I had to replace their USB cord because it crapped it out.
    Here's a tip
    Find or get yourself a better quality USB cord than what they provide. It's a fairly common cord -- you may already have one around the house. 

Using a better quality USB cord has been a very good  upgrade. It stabilized the connection considerably, so that it doesn't lose the connection every time you bump it.
    Good to know. I think I have a couple around. if not, nothing Best Buy and the like can't fix.

I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the tip!
  • Got it yesterday, but I haven’t even gotten it out of the box. I am coming into what seems a bad cold and need all the rest I can get. So no playing for me now.
  • Feel better and rest up. You'll need your strength to deal with IK Media's license activation schemes. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • Feel better and rest up. You'll need your strength to deal with IK Media's license activation schemes. 
    oh yeah, you mentioned those. I might ask for your help if that's ok... I have a couple macs (a 2012 Mac Book Pro and an iMac from last year), and my iPhone, and I am planing on using this with all of them. Wonder if it's as difficult as you mentioned for all of those?
  • You have to download their Authorization Manager and unlock all their bullshit. Pain in the ass, but once done, you don't have to do it again.
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,803
    edited December 2019
    You have to download their Authorization Manager and unlock all their bullshit. Pain in the ass, but once done, you don't have to do it again.
    Those damned italians! 
    Post edited by eduardoritos on
  • So, I have had this small unit for the last 2 months, and while I haven't spent enough time with it as I probably should, I have spent enough to help me get a good idea of what it does.

I am happy to report that it works exactly as advertised, and, what I intend it to do, it does in spades. Because as I said above, I mean to use it as a learning / practice device.

Dave, maybe it's the fact I had already read your review and was expecting to do it, but the whole instalation process wasn't a big deal at all. As far as I can tell, I have the full versions working now. Not the paid amps and the like of course, but everything else is here. I have used amplitube both on my iMac back home and on my iphone. Works great on both so far, but the USB cable is quite flimsly indeed.

The sound is better than I expected, to be honest. I have always been a guitar - amp guy. I never had any pedals as a kid and now that I do I use them sparingly, because as soon as I start getting an overly wet signal it kind of distracts me. So things like phaser or delay are placed very subtlely, usually. The default settings you get with this have things I have never used in the past, like compressors and noise gates, and it gives me the chance to try stuff that otherwise I would have never bothered with.

I am also glad the unit reacts to things like the guitar knob volume, which actually cleans the signal the way a real amp would, unlike a 90's multieffects unit I bothered with for 5 minutes back in the day. Last night I waited until my wife and daughter were sleeping, plugged my strat into my phone, with headphones (good ones) and started banging on chords. I set a crunch type tone, which is actually quite clean if you just touch the strings but gets heavier if you really go at it, and was quite surprised early today when my wife told me that she woke up during the night and could actually hear me playing, and I was in another room and with a closed door. Of course, because I had headphones, she could only hear me as if I were playing an unplugged guitar, so I must have been really attacking the strings, the way I would with a real jcm 800.

Also, while the presets aren't the best, they do a decent job at emulating the sound they are supposedly copying, good enough for me to play along to songs that were recorded with the real amps. In the Mac version, I found a british Pig setting, which apparently is a Marshall Major setting, and it sounds close enough to machine head era Blackmore to make me a happy dude. I have also joined a facebook group where the members share presets, and I have already downloaded a bunch that might interest me, but I haven't used them yet.

What's more important, this allows me to play anywhere, as long as I have a guitar with me. I am now considering getting a cheap ass guitar to leave at the office and practice during lunch time, the way Dave does. The iRig is so small I can carry it along on my laptop bag, and play at night back home too if I get the chance.

Good and small piece of gear. Would recommend.