Guilty Pleasures

bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,542
today at the bar, somebody played Hootie and the Blowfish.  Hold My Hand is a great song, and it makes me happy every time i hear it.  back in the '90s, i marveled at the sheer power that band was capable of, with no Marshall stack in sight.  Darius Rucker's big as a barn voice helps a lot, there.  anybody else have a guilty pleasure that brings a smile to your face, every time?
Post edited by bourbonsamurai on

Comments

• Duran Duran for me lately ;)
  • Duran Duran for me lately ;)
    i love that band.  back in my cover band days, we did a lot of Duran Duran.  Ordinary World brought the house down everytime.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,768
    edited February 2019
    Going back to my teenage yrs (I was 17)...still love this band! No one here knows these guys.....you had to have been there…. 1970. The Drummer played with Jeff Beck way back then...

Post edited by Donthegreek on
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,436
    Duran Duran for me lately ;)
    That shouldn't be a guilty pleasure. That is a great band.

I heard that Adam and The Ants song "Goodie Two Shoes" the other day and I had not heard it in a while. That put a smile on my face. I think that is a great pop song....but most of what I heard by him was cool. I used to love that song "Stand And Deliver". I recently inherited a stack of albums and one being the 'Prince Charming' record. His songs really bring me back to being a kid and the early days of MTV.

• shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    edited February 2019
    Used to like Lone Justice back in the mid 80s & have been spinning them lately. A more recent guilty pleasure has been K T Tunstall who does one of these 1 man band with a looper pedal type thing.
    Post edited by shaggy on
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,763
    Here are a few songs I like, in spite of them being totally foreign to my usual tastes in music:

Kylie Minogue - Confide (too bad it doesn't end with an electro-pop version of the Electric Eye intro riff).  
    ELO - Last Train to London
    Blondie - Heart of Glass and Call me. 
    Kiss - I was made for loving you -- in fact, pretty much the only Kiss song I like  =)
    Pretenders - Brass in Pocket, and a couple of other songs. I like Chrissie Hynde's vocals. 
    America - Horse with No Name.  Whenever I hear it, it's stuck in my head for days. And I don't think I've ever heard another song of these guys. 
    Björk - Joga, Bachelorette, Human Behavior, and some other songs. 

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,195
    edited February 2019
    I started liking Country music in the 90s when I became dissatisfied with the state of Rock music at the time. I don't listen to it as much nowadays, but every now and then some act or artist catches my ears and eyes and makes me smile. In 2018, I hit upon Kitty Hawk, a trio of super talented ladies based in Nashville. Each member has a career of her own as a side to other artists, but as a group they totally bring it. I caught their live show on a trip to Nashville last October, and I'm a fan.

They can do the kitschy thing too!

Post edited by cvansickle on
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,628
    Miranda Lambert. I love the songs she writes and the sound of her voice. Just wonderful.

Taylor Swift. I don't own much of her work, (a handful of songs), but I recognize her mastering of the "hook". When it comes to hook lines Paul McCartney has always been, in my opinion, The King. Taylor just may be The Queen.

Al Stewart. The songwriter I believe comes closest to the output of Lennon / McCartney. He's produced a huge catalog over the years and I own everything he's ever released.

Pepperoncini. An Italian pepper I was served with a roast beef sandwich at "Scubby Subs" in Pensacola, Florida over 35 years ago. To date ...... I buy two jars of these every week and eat them with any "beef" meal for that week. Anything from hamburger to roast beef to steak or whatever. If I'm eating beef I'm also eating Pepperoncini peppers.

Whenever I eat hamburgers raw onion slices and mustard are mandatory. This comes from my teenage years eating at "Steak & Shake". Back then it pissed me off that, if you didn't specify condiments, your steak burger came with onions and mustard. Oddly ..... after numerous mistakes on my part, I fell in love with this condiment combination.

V6 car engines. I love them. Todays V6 engines can equal or beat the V8s of yesteryear, (60s & 70s), in both horsepower and torque. Better gas mileage while retaining a nice exhaust note and plenty of power. I've owned four cylinder engines and hated every one of them. I've test driven turbo fours but disliked the late power surge and pussy exhaust note. Sadly ..... my favorite brand, Honda, deleted the V6 from the 2019 Accord and replaced it with a turbo four. I may be looking elsewhere in the future.

Doubling up long underwear when temperatures dip below 20 degrees F.      Summertime .... briefs. When temps dip below 40 degrees F. at night I switch to long johns. Below 20 F. ...... long johns doubled up. I do feel guilty about this but it's certainly a pleasure.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,050
    edited February 2019
    I've never bought into this 'guilty pleasures' thing. It assumes we should follow someone else's rules about what is OK to listen to or not.  I listen to plenty of non-Dino music but I never feel any guilt or shame about it ever....bollocks to that, life is too short! Its all music at the end of the day surely.
    Post edited by Osky on
  • Osky said:
    I've never bought into this 'guilty pleasures' thing. It assumes we should follow someone else's rules about what is OK to listen to or not.  I listen to plenty of non-Dino music but I never feel any guilt or shame about it ever....bollocks to that, life is too short! Its all music at the end of the day surely.

Absolutely.....i do enjoyment, that's it!

• None of these are really guilty pleasures, in my book. Most of it is pretty cool stuff. It's just not dino, but there's nothing wrong with that.

If you like it, you like it. screw everything else.