New (old) Kramer models (NIGHTSWAN CONTENT!)

SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
edited January 2019 in General Guitar Discussion
I honestly don't know if anybody but me cares, but apparently Kramer under Gibson is now reissuing two of their classic models, viz., Vivian Campbell's Nightswan and the Ritchie Sambora model. Both models are legendary amongst enthusiasts, and are fetching prices that are higher (at least in number of $) than when they were new, so if these are done well, they might create some interest. I can already see some unnecessary changes in the specs, but nothing too serious.

Note also that the Stagemasters in new colours.

I really hope this is the beginning of a new era, where the Kramer name is seen as an asset in the revival of Gibson. I will have to wait and see how the build quality is, but if these are any good…

Post edited by Sirion on

Comments

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    Shit!

You were right! :D 

This is awsome. I am with you. I really hope they try to revive Kramer. They got some really nice models now. The Stagemasters they've had these last years I've been seriously interested in. The blue one here is tits!
  • Oh man, this sure takes me back!!

I still have old Circus magazines from the 80's with pictures of Sambora playing that guitar. I am pretty sure I also had the ad of Viv playing that Nightswan in my college dorm at some point.

A couple weeks ago some dude at the duncan forum speculated they were reissuing these. There were "hints" he said. He was of course totally right and I am actually digging these.
  • I own a Japanese Nightswan, the exact same polka dot colour scheme as per the image above. The neck on it is in dire need of attention though but they are great guitars.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,047
    I had a lightning sky NightSwan that was a great sounding guitar. Unfortunately, the neck felt like a mandolin to me. 

I love Kramers, though. 
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    TravisW said:
    I had a lightning sky NightSwan that was a great sounding guitar. Unfortunately, the neck felt like a mandolin to me. 

I love Kramers, though. 
    This one seems to have an R2 neck rather than an R1. The purists are up in arms about it, but it makes it more playable for most people (not the undersigned).
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,600
    edited January 2019
    The Nightswan looks cool....I wish they had done the lightning graphic instead but its nice. Based on the specs I bet these are built in China. Gibson doesn't have anything built in Korea anymore that I am aware of. I love Kramer Barettas but I can't say I care for these. I would rather see them with the rosewood fretboards and the 3 colors should have been white, black and metallic red. Would prefer the black headstocks instead of the matching. That's just me...
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
    I agree regarding rosewood fretboards, but maple is huge with a lot of Kramer heads because of Eddie. As for the colour, it is perfect for those Sammy Hagar and George Lynch moments. :)
    This image recently surfaced:

Here, it looks like there will be two JBs in the Nightswan after all. Note also that the humbuckers have logos here, unlike in the ad. Since most Duncans are supplied with that these days. Not that it is that big a deal.

This genuinely surprised me!

Schaller tuners! Those aren't cheap, so it looks like they might put some actual effort into making a good instrument after all!
  • With Fender reissuing the HM Strat, Gibson coming with what looks like a good lineup after al these years, Marshall with the 20 watt amps and now this... I am starting to think that (gasp) the industry is finally starting to get it... should I dare dream??
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,807
    Now, somebodyshave to put good money on bands playing actual guitar oriented music. 
  • Now, somebodyshave to put good money on bands playing actual guitar oriented music. 
    That's actually what I was thinking just the other day... with all this great stuff coming out, where are the players?
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    Now, somebodyshave to put good money on bands playing actual guitar oriented music. 
    That's actually what I was thinking just the other day... with all this great stuff coming out, where are the players?

I am pretty sure this is aimed at people 40+ that have fond memories of dreaming of having those guitars when they were the shit... And a few guys like me as well, trying to keep the flame alive. Though I don't do that much anymore outside of my bedroom :bawling: 

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,047
    Resurrecting this based on my buddy's NightSwan that I just played. He put a Full Shred in the bridge (like the original) JB in the "middle". Both he and I owned NightSwans - he had two, and I bought his second one. We both had the same problem - the neck was too narrow. The R2 is the change that makes it much more comfortable. I didn't exactly give it the suspicious eye of quality control, but it played and sounded great. My old NightSwan was probably my favorite guitar for distorted rhythm and this had a lot of the same qualities that I liked. 

Now they just need finishes other than polka dot. 
  • Eclipse IIEclipse II Posts: 319
    TravisW said:
    Resurrecting this based on my buddy's NightSwan that I just played. He put a Full Shred in the bridge (like the original) JB in the "middle". Both he and I owned NightSwans - he had two, and I bought his second one. We both had the same problem - the neck was too narrow. The R2 is the change that makes it much more comfortable. I didn't exactly give it the suspicious eye of quality control, but it played and sounded great. My old NightSwan was probably my favorite guitar for distorted rhythm and this had a lot of the same qualities that I liked. 

Now they just need finishes other than polka dot. 
    Apparently they are bringing out the Aztec finish next