Def Leppard inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame...

13»

Comments

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,699
    edited February 2019
    I never got the Lep hate. Or maybe i did get it, just never shared it. I guess they went too commercial for some people, kinda the general hatred for Turbo-era Priest. Great album, but too radio friendly?

I had a close friend in high school, our tastes were almost identical, except I liked old Leppard and he didn't. Also, he hated Queensryche. Go figure.

In the end, it's always about the songs, the hooks and the melodies. And Def Leppard had those. Nothing wrong with that.

That said, I fully concede I never listen to Hysteria. Too glossy for me, but i still listen to Pour Some Sugar on Me if it comes up in the radio. To me, it's all about High N Dry and Pyromania. There's some great stuff there.
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701

That said, I fully concede I never listen to Hysteria. Too glossy for me, but i still listen to Pour Some Sugar on Me if it comes up in the radio. To me, it's all about High N Dry and Pyromania. There's some great stuff there.
    Their first album is the only one I really like... strong album, with a genuine heaviness, and a good production job by Tom Allom to boot. High'n'Dry is consistent, but much more generic sounding IMO, especially with the AC/DC stylings here and there. I'm not a fan of Pyromania, but it is probably as good as 80s glossy glam metal can be - it's a blueprint of the genre, in fact. A striking thing, for me, is how Joe Elliott's vocals became increasingly grating with each of these releases. 

• Their first album is the only one I really like... strong album, with a genuine heaviness, and a good production job by Tom Allom to boot. High'n'Dry is consistent, but much more generic sounding IMO, especially with the AC/DC stylings here and there. I'm not a fan of Pyromania, but it is probably as good as 80s glossy glam metal can be - it's a blueprint of the genre, in fact. A striking thing, for me, is how Joe Elliott's vocals became increasingly grating with each of these releases. 

I never fail to get a kick of the High N Dry total worship of Highway to Hell. I wonder how much were the Lep guys and how much was Mutt Lange.

I don't like all of Pyromania, but what I like I like a lot. Too Late for Love, the Hunter... those are great songs. Plus the guitars still sound like proper amps, unlike Hysteria.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Big fanboy here. Def Leppard were part of my awakening to Dino Rock, along with Iron Maiden, Journey, AC/DC and Ozzy.
    Started with Pyromania, then went back to the first two, and kept buying their albums up 'till X. I managed to find something I liked on each one. Stopped after those, so don't really have an opinion on anything from Yeah onwards. Worth getting? 
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,654
    I loved both Willis and Clark in Def, and I never got on with Phil Collen's playing. That's not a knock on Phil at all, I just prefer the playing of the other two guys more. I am a huge fan of Willis' guitar playing on the first two albums. Watching some of the live stuff on youtube, its kind of funny how small he was. He sounded 6'3". Def lost me after Pyromania. If you dig Hysteria, that's cool too, but I have never been much of a fan of Mutt Lange. I prefer For Those About To Rock over Highway to Hell as well. 

I started with High and Dry and went back and grabbed On Through The Night, which is a great album. 
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,143
    I saw Def Lep the first time opening for Ozzy in 1981. If it had been any other show, you could say that the opener was going to blow the headliner off the stage... but then Ozzy and Randy came out and, well, you know!

Saw them again open for Billy Squier in 1983. This time, with Collen in the band, they did blow away the headliner.

Third time was the round Hysteria tour, 1988, Queensryche opened. It was a draw.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 996
    To me, it's all about High N Dry and Pyromania. There's some great stuff there.
    This. I don't care about anything else they did.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,581
    I couldn't care less about this Hall of Fame-thing. I think it's pointless and I definitely can not see why bands (that are much more famous than the Hall itself) do care. It is ridiculous. Do they get paid well to attend the ceremony or something? I guess the museum is cool though, not gonna deny that.

But the reason I replied is because I thought Amy nailed it with this:
    I spit, curse, and outright will take down haters of the Lep.  To deny that band is to deny quality and I fucking HATE people who do so.  Def Leppard are.....the missing next link between where a band like The Sweet end and a band like AC/DC begin. It's heavy ass Glam Rock, with a dash of modern metallic and it's POP ALL THE WAY AT THE CENTER.  Fucking LOVE DEF LEPPARD.   
    That's exactly how I feel. I love Def Leppard as well and even though I regard High n' Dry as their peak I do immensely enjoy the other albums (up until Slang that is, don't like that and everything after that has been kind of meh to me. The covers album, Yeah! I think?, got some cool stuff though, liked that when it came out when I was about 14 and haven't heard the originals).
    On Through the Night is kind of raw but I like the energy. Really ballsy! Wasted is a bona fide classic IMO.
    Although they worked with Mutt on High n' Dry I think he more or less "just" produced that album. Maybe taught them a few things about songwriting, as it is much more focused, rather than working with them.On Pyromania they really started to create the sound they got famous for. It is so well crafted it is insane really. The whole album is perfect. Every note is meticulously choosen. And there are tons of them. I have listened and watched stuff where they pull this stuff apart and there are so many layers and it all has a purpose. Hysteria might not be that well regarded around here but I loved it to death in my teens and I still think it is really cool. It is the perfect pop metal record. It is so very '80s sounding. It might have benefited from a rawer production (and not having mountains of coke in the studio) but OTOH they took what they started on Pyromania and ran with it. They kind of maxed out and created a whole new sound. I think it is really cool and it is also really well done. Have you tried recreating those guitar tones? It is more or less impossible becuase you have to layer a shitload of them. It is much easier actually to recreate a lot of the stuff that is held in high regard here as the ingredients are just so much more basic and the concept ain't that complex.
    I loved how they took pop sensibilities, cutting edge technology and rock n roll and just meshed it all together and made this really grand sounding album. I would love to have been there and been a part of it becuase I bet it was really exciting. I've always wanted to do that sort of the thing in the modern age but I ain't talented enough :lol: 
    Adrenalize is cool but it is a weird vibe over the whole thing becuase of Steve's passing IMO. He was a cool looking guy and had a cool style but I am not sure he actually was much of a driving force behind the band's success. I think it had more to do with Elliot's vision and Mutt's ability to make something out of it. 

This is by the way how I feel about Bon Jovi as well. Even if you're not head over heels about the music (which I am though) there is no denying the impeccable craftmanship that went into their music. It is really well done. It ain't easy to craft those hooks and write those mega big arena riffs, that's why there are so few bands that actually make it to that level...
  • i've seen Leppard live twice.  never with Steve Clark, sadly.  the last show i caught was 2004.  they sounded as big as a damn barn.  the comments about arena-sized riffs are spot on.  they can play to 10,000 people at a time like no other.
  • They are heading to Vegas for a long haul later this year, like they did a few years ago when they played Hysteria front to back. Viv said that in an interview I saw earlier today. I have never seen them live and I wouldn't mind it at all, come to thing about it.