Viv and his 10 lb signature LP -- in LiL, sounding very average

Comments

• VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,916
    The song i thought was ok, not blown away, but the solo wasn't bad, it is a least nice to see Viv playing more like well Viv really. 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    edited November 2018
    I'm not hearing a lot of the young Viv in it, actually. You know, the guy that riffed his ass off. Instead of strumming a bit...
    And while that solo does indeed incorporate several trademark Viv licks, they're all played at half speed.

I can see why people want to like this but sorry. This is just generic modern rock.
    Post edited by Sancho on
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,916
    I hear what your are saying Sancho, sadly as with a lot of dino heroes we are not ever going to hear the playing from them we once held dear, old father time has put paid to that,  the cockiness of youth, the swagger of a point to prove,  none of our heroes have that anymore, some have kept their chops better than others for sure and still play very well, others are sad shadows.
  • Sancho said:
    I can see why people want to like this . . .

I think that's the real issue here. Fans of old Viv are dying to like this, but IMO he isn't even meeting them half way.  I never said it was "bad." I said some fool on FB said Viv was "ripping it up." And I said no.

Yes, it nice he found it in his heart to try and play leads again. And the solo he played on this is fine if you ignore context.  But there's no fire or attitude that harks back to old band.  Which might be fine if he was doing anything other than a DIO cover band. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • I saw that singer in Vegas with Doug Aldrich at the Rock Vault show.
  • i hadn't realized at the time this was posted, but Viv apparently has cancer.  that'll take some wind out of the sails, for sure.
  • Viv has had cancer for several years (at least 5). I think it predates LiL.   It's why his hair was short for a while.  I think he's in remission, fortunately. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Viv has had cancer for several years (at least 5). I think it predates LiL.   It's why his hair was short for a while.  I think he's in remission, fortunately. 
    i had just read this.  some kind of autoimmune drug has him in remission.  i hope he stays that way.
  • I just saw this on my facebook:

https://metalwani.com/2018/12/vivian-campbell-shares-the-latest-update-on-his-battle-with-cancer.html

Guess he is doing ok so far? Hope everything turns out ok.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    I just saw this on my facebook:

https://metalwani.com/2018/12/vivian-campbell-shares-the-latest-update-on-his-battle-with-cancer.html

Guess he is doing ok so far? Hope everything turns out ok.
    So it sounds like they are "managing" the cancer rather than it going into remission. On one hand it is good that they are controlling it....but the fact that it is not going away makes me think that some day it will take over. I hope I am wrong about that....
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    Speaking of his Les Paul signature, Kramer just posted the following sneak shot ahead of NAMM:

That is not the standard Kramer headstock, but I have seen it on exactly one model before. Kramer is owned by Gibson now; are they and Viv FINALLY bringing back the Nightswan?

• Sirion said:
    Speaking of his Les Paul signature, Kramer just posted the following sneak shot ahead of NAMM:

That is not the standard Kramer headstock, but I have seen it on exactly one model before. Kramer is owned by Gibson now; are they and Viv FINALLY bringing back the Nightswan?

Yes, please!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    Sirion said:

Yes, please!
    Yeah you can have your very own Nightswan signed by Viv for $5k or only $4k without the signature...
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,627
    Sirion said:

That would be cool! Wouldn't hold me breath though - did they ever do a Nightswan with maple? The dots doesn't match the original either. With that said, they might be changing it up a little for the sake of modernity ;)
    I've never played one (almost bought one online way back though) but was always intrigued. I thought the middle p'up thing seemed great in theory as I usually think the neck is a bit dark... No idea if it would work out for me. Lots of people claim it gets in the way of the picking.

Doesn't Buddy Blaze still produce these but they say 'Blaze' on the headstock?
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    edited December 2018
    You are correct on both points. I wonder if they are lightly changing them up to avoid people passing them off as the originals, which have become terribly expensive on the used marked (finding one under 2000$ is tricky!). But we'll see. Personally I prefer the ProAxe, that was a either (1) a development of the Nightswan or (2) a trick to cheat Viv of further royalties.

They've posted another photo (see below) that hints at the Ritchie Sambora signature (the only Kramer I know of that featured gold hardware):

Post edited by Sirion on