Viv and his 10 lb signature LP -- in LiL, sounding very average

I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

Comments

• BytorBytor Posts: 1,547
     It's a youtube... Nothin wrong with that track imo. I understand it isn't studio quality..  I liked it B)
     Yer bein a lil harsh there me thinks ;)
  • Bytor said:
     It's a youtube... Nothin wrong with that track imo. I understand it isn't studio quality..  I liked it B)
     Yer bein a lil harsh there me thinks ;)
    Wasn't really talking about the track, though I agree with Andy's assessment above.

Yeah. Some fool on FB said Viv was "ripping it up," on this, and I said: "Sorry. No he isn't."
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    LiL is a thoroughly underwhelming band. Drab and plodding.
    From what I've heard from both, I actually prefer Dream Child. But I didn't exactly run out to buy that either.
  • I read the comments above and clicked on this expecting to be fully disappointed and well, I don't know how to feel about it.

It's not a bad song, but it's not exactly good either. Kinda underwhelming, if that makes sense. It's starts with some potential, but the chorus bored me to tears by the second time it showed up. It tells a lot on a songs quality when I am fully expecting the solo to start. And I thought it was gonna be a bad solo for sure...

And it totally wasn't. I actually liked it, specially compared to other stuff being released nowadays. I thought Viv had great tone, but as luck has it, I had just seen a live Dio clip on my FB feed right before I came here. And guess what? No comparison.

Maybe i am not being fair, as 80's Viv was a monster, and maybe all those years playing second fiddle to Collen in Leppard are difficult to shake off. On it's own, I liked the solo (I think it's the best part of the song) Compared to what he used to do, it's mediocre at best.
  • Maybe i am not being fair, as 80's Viv was a monster, and maybe all those years playing second fiddle to Collen in Leppard are difficult to shake off. On it's own, I liked the solo (I think it's the best part of the song) Compared to what he used to do, it's mediocre at best.

It's not an ability issue. He can still play the old solos.  Skip to 18:09 or 1:02:14

It's a taste issue.  He's choosing to not play that way on new material. Which seems like an odd choice to me given he's in a band that's LITERALLY based on those classic songs and solos. 
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 996
    Sancho said:

That was the problem with latter-day Dio. Dull chord progressions, painfully WEAK melodies, plodding pace and no energy, with SHIT/no riffs. Just average filler. With average (at best) lead guitar (Doug excepted).

If you're going to plod, the song had BETTER be something special. Otherwise it's snooze fest. Come on guys - raise the tempo, light a fucking fire. LiL are a class act with a killer singer and a real pedigree. This song does very little for me.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Andy G said:
    Come on guys - raise the tempo, light a fucking fire. 
    This is the problem with most older bands. They're content to spew midtempo drearfests.
    The new Heir Apparent should have been a shoo in for album of the year but because every song is the same snail's pace, it's not.
  • Andy G said:
    Sancho said:

That was the problem with latter-day Dio. Dull chord progressions, painfully WEAK melodies, plodding pace and no energy, with SHIT/no riffs. Just average filler. With average (at best) lead guitar (Doug excepted).

If you're going to plod, the song had BETTER be something special. Otherwise it's snooze fest. Come on guys - raise the tempo, light a fucking fire. LiL are a class act with a killer singer and a real pedigree. This song does very little for me.
    I once read an interview with RJD when they specifically asked him why most of his newer songs were of the slower kind. He was quite vocal on this coming straight from him, as he preferred them like this (age catching up, I guess) and also that those songs gave give the ability to stretch his lyrics and vocals, or some other horseshit like that.

It also has been made quite clear to me over years and years of reading interviews and articles that most guitar players were encouraged to keep their rhythm guitar parts really simple, to not interfere with his vocal lines. It's the reason Jake E Lee was fired after a couple weeks. Viv and Doug figured a way to work with that, the rest obviously didn't.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,804
    edited November 2018

I must say, perhaps it is some peripheral Ronnie thing, but I'm about a zillion times less impressed with the singer than some here are. I've met singers that do that style a lot more Dino-engagingly. No offense meant to fans of him or the group, I just don't see much of a future for this project. Perhaps Vivian needs a name vocalist, or one of the more supersonic guys out there.

The solo really was both recycled and tiresome, Vivian Campbell was the opposite of that on the Dio albums imo. He was one of the best out there 1983 to 1986. I mean,  he wasn't Gary, but he was full of explosive licks and...aw, hell, the sound of feverish YOUTH.

Geez, I really go on sometimes, don't I?

Post edited by Haffner on
  • Haffner said:

I must say, perhaps it is some peripheral Ronnie thing, but I'm about a zillion times less impressed with the singer than some here are. I've met singers that do that style a lot more Dino-engagingly. No offense meant to fans of him or the group, I just don't see much of a future for this project. Perhaps Vivian needs a name vocalist, or one of the more supersonic guys out there.

The solo really was both recycled and tiresome, Vivian Campbell was the opposite of that on the Dio albums imo. He was one of the best out there 1983 to 1986. I mean,  he wasn't Gary, but he was full of explosive licks and...aw, hell, the sound of feverish YOUTH.

Geez, I really go on sometimes, don't I?

...and SO creative!  in his heyday, Viv had the most unique approach.  he really made maximum use of all his vocabulary.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 976
    What's with the last bend of that solo? It jumps in pitch like a bad correction or the discovery of the next fret. 

Aside from that, here are my main problems:
    • The most interesting riff in the song is the prechorus.
    • The verse and chorus are basically the same thing, and it's not that interesting a thing. 
    • The solo isn't interesting enough to exist. 
    As somebody who can easily and sometimes rightfully be accused of writing ponderous mid-tempo music, I'm ironically pretty sensitive to it when others do it. So I always blame it on the idea of trying too hard to write a "good song". At least if you try and put together a song with some cool riffs, if you miss the mark of "good song" at least you have good riffs to fall back on. As a million wannabe Dylans can attest, if you write a simple song that isn't very good, you really don't have anything to fall back on. 
  • I bought this when it came out.  Like everyone else, I was overly optimistic in hoping that Campbell would return to form finally.  I listened to it exactly once, then filed it away with the hundreds of other C grade releases that I've bought.  It's competent (the song, the whole album) but nothing really sticks.  Wishing it were better doesn't make it so.  For latter day Campbell playing, I thought the last Riverdogs album was much better.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    I liked the song and the solo....but I can understand the complaints when compared to the first 2 Dio albums. I am a big Vivian fan( not enough to buy the Def Leppard albums he is on however..) I like LiL and the new Riverdogs. I like his current approach to soloing because it is heavy on feel and powerful bending. To me that can be very heavy and aggressive along with being super melodic. 
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,751
    edited November 2018
    ooops.

Post edited by Donthegreek on