Janick Gers is not terrible.. change my mind.

2»

Comments

• OskyOsky Posts: 1,043
    edited November 2018
    As a 15 year old in 1981 I hated Gers purely because he wasn't Bernie Torme, which looking back was rather unfair as some of the stuff he did with Gillan wasn't bad in retrospect. These days I never listen to the Gillan LPs that feature him though. He always seemed like bargain basement Blackmore and that felt wrong as I was so used to Gillan singing with the man himself. Torme wasn't without his influences either and obviously loved a bit of Hendrix but he still sounded more original to me than Jannick and the band as a whole gelled better on those first 3 LPs.

As for Maiden like Andy says he's good to watch if not to listen to. 
    Post edited by Osky on
  • That video Dave posted is the best i have ever seen Gers play, as in, ever. He is channeling Blackmore and it works.

On the other hand, that Holy Smokes video shows why he is so wrong with IM. Murray sounds stellar on his solo compared to him.

Heck, even Maiden Japan (which I love and regard as Maiden's best live album) is full of bends which are off by a mile.  

Yeah, Murray was (in)famously pitch challenged in those early records. But somehow it works, plus I think Birch made him study his theory and somehow managed to get him on track. Gers on the other hand regressed as a player as the years went by. His work in the mid 90's is atrocious.

I've never heard him play a solo I wanted to ever hear again.  I'm sure he has his fans but for me his tone, phrasing, vibrato, bends... it's borderline unlistenable.  To put it in perspective, I'd by far rather listen to a Kirk Hammett, Mark St. John or Vinnie Vincent solo than anything by Janick Gers.
    I am gonna have to agree with you, and this is something I had never realized. I have never heard a Gers solo I liked. Wow.

Even Hammett has played more stuff I like than him. Fade to black, Blackened, Ride the Lightning. Geez, now this is scary...

• I agree with all of this. Met JG in pub once, soon after Rainbow, Hammersmith 1995. He was with Doogie and slagging off Yngwie who was also at the show. Anyhow, in Gillian I grant you some good moments , Sunbeam........... amazing solo.... feel, tone .....MAD.....same, fantastic Ritchie esque brilliance ......aside from that I can't stand the guy. His playing, antics and can't understand why Steve tolerates him. Suspect some deal w his best mate Bruce perhaps.
    Anyhow, in Gillian I grant you some good moments , Sunbeam........... amazing solo.... feel, tone .....MAD.....same, fantastic Ritchie esque brilliance ......aside from that I can't stand the guy. 
    MAD was Torme not Gers.
  • .aside from that I can't stand the guy. His playing, antics and can't understand why Steve tolerates him. Suspect some deal w his best mate Bruce perhaps.
    I understand why Bruce had him on TM and why he joined IM... His lifelong obsession with Gillan, just like YJM hiriing the guys who played with RB. But that still doesn't explain why Harris kept him around when Bruce left. I suppose they must really like the guy. He's become "one of the boys".
  • Osky said:
    Anyhow, in Gillian I grant you some good moments , Sunbeam........... amazing solo.... feel, tone .....MAD.....same, fantastic Ritchie esque brilliance ......aside from that I can't stand the guy. 
    MAD was Torme not Gers.

Yes, but when Gers came in, he added a solo at the end which I don't believe Bernie ever did. Check out the live disc on Double trouble.
  • .aside from that I can't stand the guy. His playing, antics and can't understand why Steve tolerates him. Suspect some deal w his best mate Bruce perhaps.
    I understand why Bruce had him on TM and why he joined IM... His lifelong obsession with Gillan, just like YJM hiriing the guys who played with RB. But that still doesn't explain why Harris kept him around when Bruce left. I suppose they must really like the guy. He's become "one of the boys".

I guess so but I've heard Adrian say how critical Steve would be re mistakes on stage.  I get the impression Geri is pretty loose to say the least
  • I guess so but I've heard Adrian say how critical Steve would be re mistakes on stage.  I get the impression Geri is pretty loose to say the least
    Yeah. That's what got Adrian out of the band actually, because his heart wasn't fully into it anymore. If Harris was so critical of him, and then moved to Gers... well, something doesn't add up.

I met some of them back in the Blaze days, during the mid 90's. We stayed in the same hotel. I ran unto Murray and Gers in the gym. They were talking soccer (predictably) I was probably 19 and they didn't really acknowledge my being there. Murray signed my ticket to their concert later that day, Gers didn't. The bastard...

I have it on good authority Blaze enjoyed some groupie attention that day. Some of the female employees of the hotel were actually complaining that he was quite the pervert with them. I also saw Nicko frolicking with a hot blonde at the pool. Years later i met Harris in Vegas, he was vacationing with his family and we run unto each other in the Luxxor lobby. He was by far the nicest of them to me. Just saying...
    edited November 2018
    Osky said:
    MAD was Torme not Gers.

Yes, but when Gers came in, he added a solo at the end which I don't believe Bernie ever did. Check out the live disc on Double trouble.
    Cool thanx... you've prompted me to get a copy of Double Trouble now... not only to check that out but also as the recent 2 disc remaster has the Torme era set from the Reading Festival 1980 as a bonus.

Bernie did used to play a solo at the end of MAD live too, check out the BBC Rock Goes To College footage

Post edited by Osky on