Janick Gers is not terrible.. change my mind.

i liked Tattooed Millionaire..

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    I am not really familiar with the Gillan or White Spirit stuff he did....but I have heard its good and he was good on that stuff. I may check it out one of these days. I also thought he was good on Tattooed Millionaire....he wasn't amazing by any means....but good....and he really benefits from good songs(that he cowrote)....

....however his playing with Iron Maiden really falls short most of the time. He is going for that whole Blackmore thing that he can't really pull off....or you just don't want to hear it. There are flashes of good things here and there. He does that whole controlled sloppiness thing live(him still trying to be Blackmore) and it comes across as very annoying. I keep wanting the guy to play a good solo. Play the guitar instead of using it as a prop. Those live Iron Maiden albums with him in the 90's are pure garbage. The unfortunate thing is that Dave Murray plays off who he is playing with live. So in the 80's Murray played excellent rhythm guitar live because he had to keep up with Adrian.....but in the 90's he was playing off Gers.....and all you have to do is listen to the 'A Real Live/Dead One' albums to realize what a train wreck it is. With Maiden Gers' rhythm work is just as bad as his lead work. Fortunately Adrian continues to keep the band tight live these days. 
  • I'm not a fan of Tattooed Millionaire, and I still think he's superfluous in IM. But he can play.  His best work IMO was with Gillan. Below he is channeling Blackmore. 

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • I figured he sucked back when I couldn’t even tune a guitar. I remember I got A Real Dead One and couldn’t understand why it didn’t sound as good as Maiden Japan (to be fair, few things do, but tell that to my 16 year self). I don’t particularly dislike him as a person and I understand he was good in the early 80’s, but he is useless in Maiden. I figure Harris must like him enough to keep him around, and Smith is a good enough player to keep the thightness of the band even if the others are sloopy. 

A friend once told me he had a theory, that Gers was playing air guitar live, since he was mostly goofing around and didn’t look like he was really playing, even if sound was obviously coming out of the speakers. LOL.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,828
    White Spirit might change your mind. 

• VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    He’s awful but has gotten 3% less sloppy in recent years. I really dislike the Dickinson stuff prior to Accident so I can’t comment on his playing on those records. 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    He's shit.
    I have to admit there is some decent playing on the Gillan albums. That makes it even worse that he's such a joke in Maiden. If he would put his mind to it, maybe he'd be OK.
    White Spirit is dross. Gers isn't even the worst thing about that band, go figure...
    Sancho said:

White Spirit is dross. Gers isn't even the worst thing about that band, go figure...
     :o 
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,619
    edited November 2018
    I can't warm to his soloing. That Gillen clip was OK, but the White Spirit stuff was just soooo sloppy - dodgy/absent vibrato, missed/dead notes, off-key bends, iffy timing...everything that annoys me. 
    Especially on a record - no excuse. Play it again and fix it. 

His solo in Holy Smoke is unforgivable. Sounds like an amateur. Full of mistakes. Can't believe they put it out.  
    Post edited by Dr Nick on
  • pdf0427pdf0427 Posts: 178
    I remember being excited by the idea of Maiden with three guitarists when Adrian first came back, but I’ve been disappointed ever since.  To my amateur ears, Maiden has never done anything terribly innovative with the extra guitar.  Instead, they’ve just split up the guitar three ways instead of two.  I don’t think Janick is bad, but he is clearly not as good as Adrian or Dave.  Less Adrian and Dave is a net negative for the band.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,610
    edited November 2018
    pdf0427 said:
    I remember being excited by the idea of Maiden with three guitarists when Adrian first came back, but I’ve been disappointed ever since.  To my amateur ears, Maiden has never done anything terribly innovative with the extra guitar.  Instead, they’ve just split up the guitar three ways instead of two.  I don’t think Janick is bad, but he is clearly not as good as Adrian or Dave.  Less Adrian and Dave is a net negative for the band.
    less Adrian, in any way, is a negative now.  Maiden would not have survived this last 18 years without him
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
    Dr Nick said:
    I can't warm to his soloing. That Gillen clip was OK, but the White Spirit stuff was just soooo sloppy - dodgy/absent vibrato, missed/dead notes, off-key bends, iffy timing...everything that annoys me. 
    Especially on a record - no excuse. Play it again and fix it. 

I must admit I'm a bit partial to White Spirit, Angel Witch, Tygers of Pan Tang and others for sentimental reasons, being 14-15 when the NWOBHM became a big thing.  A lot of those young bands were rough around the edges, their recordings were raw as fuck, but they had attitude and good SONGS. Heck, even Maiden Japan (which I love and regard as Maiden's best live album) is full of bends which are off by a mile.  
    I think the sloppiness in Janick's leads (like the end of the solo of Red Skies being a mess) has something to do with him trying to channel someone out of his league (Blackmore).  But it's nowhere near as bad as the "noise" solos he later did in Maiden... 

• I'd have to agree with Dave on this one.  Janick can "play" but whether with Gillan, Bruce or Iron Maiden I've never heard him play a solo I wanted to ever hear again.  I'm sure he has his fans but for me his tone, phrasing, vibrato, bends... it's borderline unlistenable.  To put it in perspective, I'd by far rather listen to a Kirk Hammett, Mark St. John or Vinnie Vincent solo than anything by Janick Gers.
  • Venomboy said:
    He’s awful but has gotten 3% less sloppy in recent years.
    I need the maths for that sentence! =) =)
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,240
    Where's Nobby when we need him??
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,931
    edited November 2018

I never had a problem with Gers outside from the fact that he was the third guitarist...Iron Maiden wasn't a Southern Rock (or Uber-Prog) band with a need for that imo. It just seemed strange. But Janick has his moments imo. He's also kind of fun to watch sometimes.

Can you imagine if JP added a third guitarist?

Post edited by Haffner on