2»

Comments

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,321
    Saw the first 3 minutes of that Iridium thing on youtube. *BARF*
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    It's nasty, isn't it?
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,321
    Between this and Bob Daisley's tribute album for Gary Moore, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to listen to even genuinely good blues rock for a while.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I am taking great care to avoid that abortion.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    He's the best guitarist with the most mediocre songs. I took a lesson from him and it was pretty much life changing. Bought a solo record and was like, meh. He knows soooooo much about music and is so awesome about explaining and teaching. But writing? Not so much.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,799

I have a couple of his videos (love them). I can't get into Paul on studio recordings much (I didn't like Racer X, studio or live, to be honest).

I think he's a freeky great and quite personable guitar player who has respect for those whom came before him. His picking is supernatural imo, unbelievable technique.

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,486
    edited November 2018
    Venomboy said:
    He's the best guitarist with the most mediocre songs. I took a lesson from him and it was pretty much life changing. Bought a solo record and was like, meh. He knows soooooo much about music and is so awesome about explaining and teaching. But writing? Not so much.
    I completely disagree with that assessment.  He writes great POP songs. It may not be the style you want to hear. If you don't like pop, you won't appreciate it. And there is a humor aspect to his songs, but his non-instrumental songs are undeniable. 

Here is my Paul Gilbert playlist: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5YcKAxQXyfbe9q3SIhNDTz

Check it out.  These are really good songs, filled with great pop hooks. They're a lot of fun.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    edited November 2018
    Venomboy said:
    I completely disagree with that assessment.  He writes great POP songs. It may not be the style you want to hear. If you don't like pop, you won't appreciate it. And there is a humor aspect to his songs, but his non-instrumental songs are undeniable. 

Here is my Paul Gilbert playlist: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5YcKAxQXyfbe9q3SIhNDTz

Check it out.  These are really good songs, filled with great pop hooks. They're a lot of fun.

He does have a way with a tune, very engaging...though I can imagine those looking for the Dino side might be disappointed.
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,486
    edited November 2018
    Haffner said:
    He does have a way with a tune, very engaging...though I can imagine those looking for the Dino side might be disappointed.
    Yeah, if all you want is very straight-forward riff-based Dino rock or metal, he's using way too much humor and pop sensibilities to satisfy that itch in his non-instrumental solo work. His musical roots are in Liverpool, not Birmingham.  He writes goofy songs using a lot of classic pop-structures.  I personally find it refreshing that as frightening a musician as he is, he doesn't take himself too seriously. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    Haffner said:
    Yeah, if all you want is very straight-forward riff-based Dino rock or metal, he's using way too much humor and pop sensibilities to satisfy that itch in his non-instrumental solo work. His musical roots are in Liverpool, not Birmingham.  He writes goofy songs using a lot of classic pop-structures.  I personally find it refreshing that as frightening a musician as he is, he doesn't take himself too seriously. 

The thing I like about his videos most is his likeable personality. To me he's really affable and I like his quirky side.

As far as roots in Liverpool well geez that's a real good place for roots!

I actually liked a couple of the songs you shared more when I listened to them again. Good stuff, and now that I think about the Fab Four when listening the appreciation goes deeper.

I do think a couple of his instrumentals are absolutely, maniacally good (it freeks me out how relaxed he looks during this):

• Haffner said:

The thing I like about his videos most is his likeable personality. To me he's really affable and I like his quirky side.

Yeah, even in the gig at the start of this thread, the most enjoyable part of the show was him talking to the audience between songs. He's very entertaining.  It's like Greg Koch -- he's a bad-ass guitarist, but he is hilariously funny, too.

Basically Amy and I covered all of this in Gilbert's Alchemy Profile.  People may not dig his music, but no one can deny his frightening playing ability. 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,588
    edited November 2018
    I see five on your Spotify list from "Burning Organ". I remember posting here that that was my favorite album in like 20 years. I still rank it not only as Paul's best but also one of my all time "best" albums. "I am Satan" is probably my favorite when it come's to Paul's super cool humor but "Amy is Amazing" is pop rock taken right over the top. Truly ..... Amazing!
    Post edited by inmyhands on
  • If you liked Burning Organ, you'd like the other non-instrumental albums as well.

They're in the recommended listening section of his profile:

http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/1053
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    I love his sense of humor but his songs are forgettable. I love pop music too. Just not his.