New Paul Gilbert Album coming out

Gonna be an instrumental, apparently.  
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/paul-gilbert
Watch the video

I saw him last night in NYC and he had a scratchy throat and couldn't sing other than croaking his way through a couple of Hendrix numbers. 
I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,659
    I pre-ordered the album which was released on Monday so I may already have it waiting for me at home.  I also have tickets to see him Friday for the first time since one of the G3 tours.  Unfortunately I am in the hospital for emergency surgery and may have to miss the show.  Not happy!
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    edited September 2018
    I saw Paul Gilbert giving a Master Class a few years ago, he's a funny guy, a great player, I bet he's a great teacher too, but I just don't get the appeal of his music...  I'm familiar with two of his albums: Burning Organ and Vibrato (I actually bought the latter at the end of the Master Class), and I find them completely insipid...   not sure why, maybe I expected something more personal or flamboyant. 
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • Yep. That was the show. He played great, but the set was a little disappointing.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    I knew old school fans would be somewhat disappointed after I heard the set. They wanted Scarified and Technical Difficulties. Pretty much what he played last time he was here. This was a whole different set. He wanted to try something different. I get it. 

• I wanted him to SING his non-instrumental songs -- which are my favorite things he does. But his voice was wrecked.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,444
    Don't what's inside the album, I'm buying it.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,444
    edited October 2018
    Jesus! the slide played song on minute 22 or so. The way I try to play the slide.
    OMG on 38'
    Post edited by eduardoritos on
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,108
    Fuck, why is Paul Gilbert trying to be Joe Bonamassa?
    I know that there is a lot of money there but Fuck is that all that he has left? 
    Paul is one of my biggest influences but I wish to Hell that he would hire Freddy Nelson to sing again and Rock out.
  • i like Paul Gilbert much more since he's learned to bend and leave some space.  i will buy his new record.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I tried watching his September live gig from the Iridium. Three songs in and I turned it off.
    Don't kid yourself Paul, this is wankery. It just isn't fast or interesting wankery.
    I can't believe you sat through that, Dave. That's worse than ALD, Gary's bluzak or Viv's rhythm comping in Leppard.
  • I actually like his song-oriented albums where he sings. I thought I'd be seeing that, or at least SOME of that plus some instrumentals.  
    I'll take his non-instrumental solo albums over the instrumental ones any day of the week.
    But this was a far cry from Flying Dog or Burning Organ.
  • Space Ship One was the last very good solo album.
    After that, two of the three Mr.Big where VERY good.