Football!!!!

The 2018 season is here and as always very excited about my favorite sport. As I write this I am watching the Lions/Jets game on the first half of MNF. The Jets actually look decent...and even though young QB Darnold started off with a pick 6 on his first NFL pass...he looks good.  Yesterday my band played a day show but I was able to catch some early games at the sports bar across the street from the club. I focused mainly on the Pats/Texans game which ended up being a very good game. Brady and Gronkowski looked great. Saw pieces of other games including the bizarre Steerlers/Browns game that ended in a tie. The Packers/Bears game sure was interesting. Rodgers really came back with a vengeance in the second half after being carted off in the first.

I am really gearing up for my Raiders tonight against the Rams who are the favorite. Looking forward to watching Gruden on the sideline. No matter what you think of him....he is entertaining. Always loved the guy....great analyst that I think will translate well to his return to coaching. I really hope the Raiders can bounce back from a disappointing 2017 Season. 

So week one I thought was a pretty exciting week of football. Anyone have any early season predictions?

Comments

• That GB-Chicago game will go down as one for the ages.  Rodgers ON ONE LEG played better than most QBs on two.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,195
    I know most of you guys are into pro but it's college football for me. The family spent all day Saturday watching Georgia, Auburn, and more. I think we had the games on from noon to midnight. Our living room was one big tailgate party!

I'm a Georgia grad, my wife's an Auburn grad. We support each other's teams all year, except for that one weekend in November when we play each other and we're a house divided! The smack talk with the kids is especially entertaining. Since we've been together, Georgia has won four of the last five meetings, including last year's SEC championship. The good thing is we all share a common hatred of Alabama (sorry Lou)!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • I know most of you guys are into pro but it's college football for me. The family spent all day Saturday watching Georgia, Auburn, and more. I think we had the games on from noon to midnight. Our living room was one big tailgate party!

I'm a Georgia grad, my wife's an Auburn grad. We support each other's teams all year, except for that one weekend in November when we play each other and we're a house divided! The smack talk with the kids is especially entertaining. Since we've been together, Georgia has won four of the last five meetings, including last year's SEC championship. The good thing is we all share a common hatred of Alabama (sorry Lou)!
    the ironbowl is usually my favorite game of the year.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,195
    I know most of you guys are into pro but it's college football for me. The family spent all day Saturday watching Georgia, Auburn, and more. I think we had the games on from noon to midnight. Our living room was one big tailgate party!

the ironbowl is usually my favorite game of the year.
    Last year's Iron Bowl was fantastic! Auburn beat Alabama when Alabama was ranked #1 and undefeated, just as Auburn had beaten the #1 ranked undefeated Georgia a few weeks earlier. Nothing like an unexpected spoiler to make a season more interesting.

This year I'm keeping my eye on Vanderbilt to play spoiler too. They're usually a pushover, but Vandy sure showed a ton of heart against Nevada last weekend. They get a real test against Notre Dame this week.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,435
    edited September 2018
    I just can't get into College Football.....its like 3 months of preseason....

Jesus.....that second half of both Monday night games were rough. Both Detroit and Oakland just folded in the second half. Derek Carr looked more like David Carr....seemed like he and Stafford completed more passes to the opposing team....I will say this....the Rams are the complete package and may be the team beat in the NFC. The Jets didn't look too shabby either...Sam Darnold was impressive. Jared Goff is really good....looks more like a seasoned pro than a guy with only 2 years pro experience.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • My team, the Seattle Seahawks, are in a bit of a rebuilding year so expectations aren't very high, although we could surprise as we still have a top tier quarterback and some good pieces. Probably too many holes to fill though for a playoff run.
    That GB/Bears game was unbelievable!
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    Speaking of GB, my beloved Vikings will be playing them Sunday. I'll be hovering over the mute button in case Joe Buck breaks out yet another rendition of "Endless Love" while talking about Aaron Rodgers. 
    TravisW said:
    Speaking of GB, my beloved Vikings will be playing them Sunday. I'll be hovering over the mute button in case Joe Buck breaks out yet another rendition of "Endless Love" while talking about Aaron Rodgers. 
    Pretty much all the analysts and commentators are in love with Rodgers....and rightfully so. The guy is pretty amazing. The game against the Bears last weekend is just another example of why. I still can't believe what I saw.
    Duojett71 said:
    TravisW said:
    Pretty much all the analysts and commentators are in love with Rodgers....and rightfully so. The guy is pretty amazing. The game against the Bears last weekend is just another example of why. I still can't believe what I saw.
    Yup - he's a phenomenal talent. That said, I'm guessing they'll play him since it's the Vikings and it's a divisional game. And, I'm pretty certain there'll be at least one sack, especially since he has a knee sprain. If he gets hurt again, it'll be the same "now if Aaron Rodgers was healthy..." jibber-jabber that popped up in every divisional game last season. 

I am curious about Rodgers condition for this coming weekend. On one hand it is a division game....on the other hand GB could potentially lose him for the season if his injury gets worse...
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,707
    edited September 2018
    TravisW said:

I watch all Giants games without sound unless I need to hear a call explanation or something. I can't stand the commentary.  Doesn't matter who it is, really, but I particularly hate Chris Collingsworth and anyone who was once a Cowboy. 

Once you know the game and your team's players numbers well enough to know what you're looking at, I find the commentary annoying as fuck.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    Duojett71 said:
    I am curious about Rodgers condition for this coming weekend. On one hand it is a division game....on the other hand GB could potentially lose him for the season if his injury gets worse...
    That would be my worry if I was GB, but I suppose there are a lot of good reasons they aren't knocking down my door asking my advice. 

Speaking of Rams/Raiders, I was at least hoping for a closer score. Rams look tough on paper and in practice so far. 
  • i fuckin' love football, but Joe Buck is pretty sorry.  c'mon now!  he's as if Herb Tarleck from WKRP were calling games, except Herb would be unintentionally funny.
  • That sure was a punch in the gut for my beloved Bears. I despise the Cheeseheads as much as anybody,but you
    gotta give #12 his due.He's clearly the best QB right now. Da Bears are young,with a rookie head coach,so there's
    going to be growing pains.But the level of talent is improving,so they should be more fun to watch at the very least.
    And Mark,I'd like to thank Gruden and the Raiders for letting Khalil Mack get away and join the new Monsters of the
    Midway.Can't believe they let him go,but very happy they did!