New "Last Alchemy Profile" - Paul Gilbert!

2»

Comments

• eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,446
    edited August 2018
    I'm a full time fan of Paul Gilbert since listened to the starting run on Addicted to That Rush on 1992.
    A blast on my head, and an eternal love for Paul and the band.
    When I'd accesed to his solo work, my love, if that could be, has grown to the infinite.
    Punk-rock-r&r-metal-prog-ballad-blues in every album; instrumental or vocal, whit his family (Raw Blues) or solo.
    Not affraid of doing shows with some of the best in the world (Nuno, Marty Friedman...) and playing rithm for them, showing a satisfaction smile while playing for other. Yeah, because he's self-confidence about "I could do it so" .

The final journey on Mr.Big with a sick Pat Torpey is a plus of friendship.

So, yes, I vote for Paul everiday.

The whole Paul's playing is here:

Post edited by eduardoritos on
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,402
    That was awesome Amy! Very fun and well deserved profile.
    Personally I'm a huge PG fan, and he greatly influenced my playing, back when I was obsessed with alternate picking (thanks in this part to this forum) his videos were my Bible.
    I really like all eras of his carrer but it's Mr Big that connects with me the most. I find they have the perfect balance between flash and chops on one side, and songwriting, melodies, hooks, arranging and vocal harmonies, between Hard Rock, rawness and agression and Pop and slick production. This is something I think the band Extreme achieved as well. Plus, both bands are latecomers to the hair band party, and are both much known as one hit acoustic wonders, and they are both amazing live. Curious.
    The one thing I'm going to differ with the profile, is Paul's ability as a riffer. Although some are more "lines" that riffs, I think he has come up with some great ones, in Mr Big alone: Addicted to that Rush, Green tinted sixties, take cover, Daddy brother lover little boy. Most of them have a very tight rythmic stacatto feel that has always been a PG trademark thing for me.
  • The one thing I'm going to differ with the profile, is Paul's ability as a riffer. Although some are more "lines" that riffs, I think he has come up with some great ones, in Mr Big alone: Addicted to that Rush, Green tinted sixties, take cover, Daddy brother lover little boy. Most of them have a very tight rythmic stacatto feel that has always been a PG trademark thing for me.
    It's not really "a big differ."

It says: Sure Paul certainly can write a tasty riff — like Everybody Use Your Goddamn Turn Signal, but he’s not really known for being a hooky riff-writing machine ala Iommi, Blackmore, or even Hoffmann and the guys in Maiden and Priest.    

I don't think you're suggesting he's a "hooky riff-writing machine," are you?
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    edited April 2019
    This is something I think the band Extreme achieved as well. Plus, both bands are latecomers to the hair band party, and are both much known as one hit acoustic wonders, and they are both amazing live. Curious.
    You are absolutely right. I love both bands, both for their music and for putting a nail in the coffin of the stupid, stupid, STUPID! ideas that new acts in genres inevitably decline in quality, and that the death of a genre means that its opportunities have been exhausted. That was never true, and those bands, who were true top-of-the-heapers who never really got the chance to achieve lasting fame, prove it better than any other examples I can think of.
    Post edited by Sirion on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,711
    It's not really "a big differ."

It says: Sure Paul certainly can write a tasty riff — like Everybody Use Your Goddamn Turn Signal, but he’s not really known for being a hooky riff-writing machine ala Iommi, Blackmore, or even Hoffmann and the guys in Maiden and Priest.    

I agree. When I think of Paul, I think chops, super musicianship, great songwriting and insane speed.

I never think riffs. He might be able to write one or two here and there, but he isn't exactly Iommi on that department.

That said, the comparison with Extreme is spot on, i think...
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,402

"A machine" might be and overstatement, but I would say he's written a few good riffs