New "Last Alchemy Profile" - Paul Gilbert!

Been a long time since we've done an Alchemy profile and we didn't (and still don't) have plans to do anymore. However at one time we were going to do a Paul Gilbert profile. Work got started, but it never took off.  However, recently, Amy was looking for something to alleviate the boredom of recovering from surgery this summer and decided she wanted to do one.  So she did!  Came out great, too. So here is the decade overdue Paul Gilbert Alchemy Profile

http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/1054
I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

Comments

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Just read it - made me smile. 
    Your take on him is very interesting. I love his solo albums. Mr Big I find patchy, but he's the best thing about them. 
    I have to say that I find Paul Gilbert's lead playing quite distinctive myself - he has a way of phrasing notes which does have a certain unique personality, if I can put it that way, especially with slower playing. 
    He has this thing where he picks a note, bends up a semi tone, then picks it again back to pitch with vibrato at that semi tone that I love. 
    And he likes pentatonic scales using wide stretches on the same string thanks to his massive hands. 

Totally get the tone thing, he doesn't have a signature tone as such. The best one IMO is the one on the United States album. 
    But as you said, we're being ultra picky - the man is a genius and a delight to listen to. 

Glad you're keeping busy Amy - hang in there. 

• Dr Nick said:
    Just read it - made me smile. 
    Your take on him is very interesting. I love his solo albums. Mr Big I find patchy, but he's the best thing about them. 
    Same here, Nick. The early stuff honestly doesn't do much for me but I really enjoy his solo albums -- which, to me, and what I enjoy and value most about PG -- seem get better with each release as he becomes tastier the more he matures. 
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,582
    edited August 2018
    Great read! Thank you :)

I do mostly enjoy his work in Mr. Big actually, I feel it is the most musically coherent but as stated in the Alchemy: he is just plain awesome. I always click videos on YouTube if he's in them :) 
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,709
    Great profile!!! I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks! Paul is a monster player, no doubt, and he deserved a spot here.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    Great work there! Thanks you two, I really enjoyed that.
    If anyone else was as good as PG, we'd be consumed with jealousy and hate them. But he's such a loveable goofy guy you just can't!
    Obviously I'm  a fan of all his stuff, but I frickin' love the first two Mr. Big albums. Oh, and the Racer X Extreme Volume Live album. That's just nuckin' futs!
  • Last night I realized I'd been enjoying MOST of his albums on Spotify. I figure I'd done that long enough so I bought like 6 of them.

Spoitfy is great, but when it's something that I'm gonna listen to on the regular, I figure I owe it to the artist to pay them beyond the pittance they get from Spotify. 
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Love the first 2 Mr Big albums (especially Lean Into It), from then on I found them patchy. 

LOVE his first solo album and Burning Organ. Need to listen to more of the rest. 

In fact, we played "Undertow" at my 25th Wedding Anniversary/50th birthday gig recently. And as a semi-joke, also played "Vinyl" as a semiautobiographical (imaginary) story of how my wife and I met...
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,660
    Great, very insightful and well written!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    I was a huge Racer X fan in high school....had the first two albums on vinyl and the first live album on cd. 'Second Heat' is a kickass heavy metal record. Paul and Bruce Bouillet  along with Andy LaRoque and Pete Blakk might be the best shred guitar duos of all time. I also bought the first Mr. Big album when it came out....and while the music was quality that band never stuck with me. I need to check out Paul's solo albums. I have a feeling I would like those a lot. I read most of the Alchemy profile.....I had to skim through it because it is late and my attention span is fading.....but very well written and it peaked my interest in Paul again. I will read more thoroughly when I have more time.....great job! 
  • Great job writing this Amy! (and Dave). Paul had to have one of these for sure. Personally his playing never connected with me the way other players did, but I love the early Racer X stuff and early Mr.Big records...some great songs and playing going on. One thing I really do love about Paul is that he's all about the music...he's not trying to play rock star, even though he is one. Like you guys said...nice guy, fantastic player, inhuman chops and one of the best teachers around. And these days he lives in my neck of the woods (Portland, OR area). He's been spotted out and about a few times.  
  •  Personally his playing never connected with me the way other players did

His shred playing -- as impressive as it was and remains, never connected with me either. What I like most about him are all the other things, particularly his songs.  He makes really good music.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,709
     Personally his playing never connected with me the way other players did

His shred playing -- as impressive as it was and remains, never connected with me either. What I like most about him are all the other things, particularly his songs.  He makes really good music.
    This. I love him as a player, as a person, as an entertainer. But his shred playing is the one thing i never really went crazy for... I was hugely into shred as a teen for 5 minutes or so, and loved Yngwie, Becker and Friedman in Cacophony, and even MacAlpine, but Paul was the one guy who I was impressed with but never clicked with.
  • to me, PG got a lot better after he started playing slower.
  • DargavelDargavel Posts: 601
    I think a big point to me was him doing g3 with Satch and Petrucci. His gain tone for noticeably less trebly, and a lot more fuzz based, which sounded great to me as a change of pace. It was the first time I saw him live and his tone sounded incredible, which was always his weakest point imo. 
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,751
    Finally got around to read this. Well done Amy!