Disco Slosh - the next chapter

Now the the company band is thankfully behind me, yesterday, I embarked on a new phase of guitar playing.  Session work. As many of you know, Amy is a rising star in the dance music world. She has several projects singing for high visibility people in the genre, and is about to have a few more. Her first single under her own name is being released on DFA records. And of course she has her own projects creating original dance music with people she enjoys working with.  As such she asked me if I would mind occasionally putting guitar solos on tracks when she thinks they're needed. As I have little else going on now musically, I said sure.  She said, "I need you to come in and be Slash . . .  Disco Slash!"  To which I said, "I'm more like Disco Slosh."

Yesterday, I cut the first such solo after taking a couple of weeks to figure out what I wanted to play and composing it.  This solo was a minute long -- which I feel is pretty long time to wank, but with dance tracks, this kind of thing is going to (I think) be very wanky work. There was also some whammy stuff leading into it. I cut all of it using the Chubtone Superstrat.  I'll have to tell Curt this was likely the first time one of his guitars was used on a dance track.  :p

I set up my 1x12 cab in Amy's sound-treated vocal booth (a walk in closet), threw a 57 on it, and ran the Bogner Atma through it from out in the control room.  I was able to set it at 1 watt, and get a pretty gainy, fluid lead tone (in this genre, the lead tone doesn't have to be anything specific). This worked pretty well. The sound was well contained and didn't bother anyone in the building. 

Because I was prepared, it went pretty quickly (couple of hours). I don't know when the track will come out, but when it does, I'll post it so y'all can hear "Disco Slosh," and his wanky guitar!

The irony is that because DJs spin these tunes all over the world (they play Amy on the BBC now) WAY more people all over the world are going to hear this track than ever heard Feints. Amy says it could lead to more, similar session work. Which would be fine if it does, I enjoy doing this kind of thing.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Comments

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,195
    Sounds like a cool gig. At least you have a good boss!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,768
    :)  Sounds awesome to me.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,050
    edited August 2018
    The irony is that because DJs spin these tunes all over the world (they play Amy on the BBC now) WAY more people all over the world are going to hear this track than ever heard Feints.
    Great news on both the session sloshin look forward to hearing the results! But also great to hear Amy is getting airplay on the Beeb! What artist and songs should I listen out for? Which station plays her stuff? Presumably either Radio 1, 2 or 6? Probably Radio 1 I'm guessin. 
    Post edited by Osky on
  • I honestly have no idea which stations.  I'm guessing it's whichever ones play EDM.  You'd hear her on tracks by Horsemeat Disco, and The Crooked Man among others.  She can probably provide more info.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,435
    Very cool....sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats!