Joel Hoekstra is kind of a MONSTER

2»

Comments

  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    Duojett71 said:
    Sancho said:
    Kip Winger claims Beavis & Butthead killed the band. 
     for such a strong debut album....the second Winger album really sucked. I blame the lame songs and Kip Winger's image for killing that band.  Beavis and Butthead and Metallica didn't help for sure. I will say this though. Their last couple albums seem really strong and those guys know how to write really good songs. They aren't short on talent.....

    I'm going to have to disagree on this one, at least to a certain extent. From what I can gather, the hit rockers on that album were added as afterthoughts, and you can hear that they are less worked through that on the previous album. That album is all about the proggier deep cuts – Rainbow in the Rose, In the Day We'll Never See and In the Heart of the Young – and those are, in my opinion, excellent.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I do find it odd that Reb seems to be fine with playing second fiddle to whoever the blonde star guitarist in the band is.
    I suspect after the nineties (which he refers to as the dark times or something in his home video) he doesn't want to rock the boat and risk his gainful employment.

    FWIW both Reb's Masquerade and Joel's 13 albums are totally killer releases.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,144
    Winger existed to divest teenage girls of their underpants.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    edited July 2018
    If you really think so, I suggest you listen to those records again – you'll thank me. They are very produced-sounding records, but there is more musicianship and craftsmanship in their stuff than in virtually any work of their contemporaries. They always had a populist strain in their writing, but in many ways I think it was a didactic one: they were trying to educate the ears of their audience by writing more advanced songs in a popular style. In that respect, it is fitting that they were piled on by Beavis and Butthead: they represent exactly the kind of metalhead who wouldn't get it.
    Post edited by Sirion on
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    Sancho said:
    I do find it odd that Reb seems to be fine with playing second fiddle to whoever the blonde star guitarist in the band is.
    I suspect after the nineties (which he refers to as the dark times or something in his home video) he doesn't want to rock the boat and risk his gainful employment.

    FWIW both Reb's Masquerade and Joel's 13 albums are totally killer releases.
    That sounds reasonable. I have heard stories of him going bankrupt and having to sell off a lot of memorabilia from his earlier career. It could be that Elsie wants a tall blonde LP player as the main guy, and since he is known to be a fair payer, it might be that Reb accepts that for what it is.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    Yes, I suspect Reb is just being pragmatic. I've read that Elsie wants someone to do the Sykes stuff, and someone to cover the territory that Vai brought. That's Rebs job. But it's not a major part of the sound, so his role is limited. 

    As for Winger, I think they're great. Sure, there are some pretty cheesy lyrics (17 anyone?) but the music is pretty complex, some of the riffs aren't straightforward to play, and Kip has a great rock/metal voice. 
    The new albums since they reformed are all pretty good - there's some strange stuff on VI but very clever, and the last two just Rock. 
    Also, Kip's solo releases are interesting. Some are too mellow for me, but Thisconversationseemslikeadream is one of my desert island albums. 
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    Dr Nick said:
    (17 anyone?
    Seventeen is indeed quite dumb, but it seems to me like Winger gets a lot more shit for it than Kiss does for Christeen Sixteen and Mötley Crüe for All in the Name of… – and whilst one might retort that those bands are known for many more things in addition, and I like all three bands, Winger to me is the more interesting musically.

    I really need to sit down and give IV a proper listen. The two later releases are great but very accessible in comparison.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    Dr Nick said:
     Sure, there are some pretty cheesy lyrics (17 anyone?)
    That's a killer riff there.
    I feel I ought to send a request for that song to a BBC radio station, just to witness the resulting shitstorm!
    Actually, probably best not to do that under my own identity...
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    Snoogans said:
    Dr Nick said:
     Sure, there are some pretty cheesy lyrics (17 anyone?)
    That's a killer riff there.
    I feel I ought to send a request for that song to a BBC radio station, just to witness the resulting shitstorm!
    Actually, probably best not to do that under my own identity...

    Go for it, and record the result!
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,551
    Sirion said:
    Sancho said:
    I do find it odd that Reb seems to be fine with playing second fiddle to whoever the blonde star guitarist in the band is.
    I suspect after the nineties (which he refers to as the dark times or something in his home video) he doesn't want to rock the boat and risk his gainful employment.

    FWIW both Reb's Masquerade and Joel's 13 albums are totally killer releases.
    That sounds reasonable. I have heard stories of him going bankrupt and having to sell off a lot of memorabilia from his earlier career. It could be that Elsie wants a tall blonde LP player as the main guy, and since he is known to be a fair payer, it might be that Reb accepts that for what it is.
    Reb is good, but I remember seeing a recent live show on youtube and  I thought Hoekstra was much better: musically, technically but also more fire maybe ?
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    I know this shouldn't matter but I gotta say it....visually Hoekstra looks a little off to me. He dresses the part....has the the right hair....but he looks like the love child of Nicko McBrain and Sebastian Bach.....and is it me or is his head too small? Kind of in a Beetlejuice way.....
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    It shouldn't matter but yes, he looks weird. Still, I'd trade my Father Christmas Midlife Crisis looks for his any day if it meant I could play like him.
Sign In or Register to comment.