Joel Hoekstra is kind of a MONSTER

i’ve been recently digging some of Hoekstra’s YT instructional vids.  that dude flew under my radar for a long time.  a lot of TSO guys are really great players, but don’t always grab your attention right away.  some of those recent Whitesnake videos highlight what crazy pentatonic chops that dude has.  i like a lot of his stuff much better than Zakk, even.

Comments

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    He's awesome. I think he's a better fit for Whitesnake than Doug. Better tone too. Doug's tone in Whitesnake was always very buzzy, Joel has a great classic tone.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    He is a great player for sure but doesn't really grab me most of the time. He is featured on the Michael Sweet album 'One Sided War' and plays some cool stuff on that and he was impressive when I saw TSO in 2016. I prefer Doug's playing though. I feel Doug digs in more.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Mark, didn't he play at the RRR show? He's pretty badass and so is Doug.
    Venomboy said:
    Mark, didn't he play at the RRR show? He's pretty badass and so is Doug.
    Yeah he did and the guy has all kinds of chops no doubt....but he is almost too good. The one guy that falls into that category that I absolutely love is Chris Poland....who is a freak of nature...
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,674
    I rather prefer Reb over Joel, even Doug. I like him since the start of his career. He's something special, not an ordinary player.
  • Andy GAndy G Posts: 1,058
    Sancho said:
    Doug's tone in Whitesnake was always very buzzy, Joel has a great classic tone.
    Yep. I've been trying to figure that one out. He's always been a high-gain player, but Doug had GREAT tone on pretty much everything I'd heard him previously. The sound he got in WS makes it seem like his amp is broken. Just Awful.

Those last couple of Whitesnake albums sound as if Coverdale's ears are broken.
    Horrible, bass heavy muddy mess.
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    I rather prefer Reb over Joel, even Doug. I like him since the start of his career. He's something special, not an ordinary player.

Agreed. Winger gets a lot of crap, and most of it unwarranted, but Reb was always a gem.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,610
    Sirion said:

Agreed. Winger gets a lot of crap, and most of it unwarranted, but Reb was always a gem.
    winger is unfairly maligned
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,687
    edited July 2018
    I think we all agree on Reb and how great he is and how unfairly maligned Winger is/was.  Jesus they also have one of the greatest drummers ever.
    What confuses me is that when I saw Snake Doug was clearly the #1 and Reb was #2.  When I saw them a few years later with Joel I expected Reb to ascend to #1 but Joel was clearly #1 with Reb remaining #2.  Perhaps Reb prefers this position in the band.

Post edited by Jay G on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,016
    edited July 2018
    Personally I have always blamed Metallica. They were caught on video saying Winger sucks and it just escalated from there. Kip getting offended and defending his band didn’t help either. People figured they couldn’t take a joke.

As for Doug, I was very impressed by him when he got the Dio gig. i saw that tour and he knocked my boots off, to be honest. But his ultra high gain tone is not my cup of tea nowadays. Oddly enough it never bothered me with Sykes...
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
    Kip Winger claims Beavis & Butthead killed the band. 
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    There is probably some truth to both. In addition, it was 1993, which seems to have been the last year classic hard rock/heavy metal bands had a chance of making a splash; a decline was probably unavoidable. That being said, there has never been a revaluation of Winger, and that is long over due.
    Sancho said:
    Kip Winger claims Beavis & Butthead killed the band. 
     for such a strong debut album....the second Winger album really sucked. I blame the lame songs and Kip Winger's image for killing that band.  Beavis and Butthead and Metallica didn't help for sure. I will say this though. Their last couple albums seem really strong and those guys know how to write really good songs. They aren't short on talent.....
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,610
    ya know, another unfairly maligned band from that era was Slaughter.  Stick it to Ya was a superbly produced record as well.