Old Wonderful Guitars / Brands Available Prior To 1970.

I'm wondering about the guitars available at the birth of Classic Rock / Hard Rock. My recent purchase of a Rickenbacker turned out beautifully. Now I'm wondering about other hidden gems from the "past", (dark ages to some of you), might be available. Back when men were men and women washed, ironed, cooked, were pleased by a new vacuum cleaner on their birthday and lived to please their sorry ass man's needs. No. I'm not going to say those were the good old days. B) Vacuums were pretty costly back then.
       So i'm thinking about brands Like Gibson, Fender, the original Epiphone, Gretsch, Hagstrom, Burns, Guild, Rickenbacker, Kay, Danelectro, Airline, Domino, Teisco, Penncrest, Norma, Harmony, EKO, Univox, Silvertone, etc. etc..
       Anybody here have any loves, wish lists, unfulfilled electric guitar desires from this time period.
       Just to increase the responding pool I'd like to give a special welcome to any member who's mom and dad weren't even born during this time period.It's cool. Many electric guitar players show a strong interest into the history of their instrument. Your opinion is important to me.

Comments

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,669
    Like most of us here, I'd love an old Tele/Broadcaster, a 50's Strat and a TV yellow LP Jr.  However, I've recently started to take an interest in Mosrites. Never played one, but they look damn cool!
    It's probably due to my multiple readings of The Strat In The Attic , a truly glorious little book about discovering old guitars. I cannot stress enough how much you need to read it...

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,862
    Like everybody here, I would love a 50's Les Paul and a pre CBS Strat. Oh, and a pre production Charvel hehehe. Not very original, I know, but that would be awesome.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,763
    I'd love to own:
    - Gibson SGs from the '60s, including a white '63 SG custom  (though the vibrola and the third pickup might be an annoyance more than a bonus), 
    - a Les Paul Junior like Leslie West,
    - an old Telecaster,
    - a Rickenbacker bass. 

The other brands mentioned don't have a lot of appeal to me. 

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,195
    My Holy Grail guitar is a 1957 Gibson Les Paul Custom with three pickups. The second grail would be a 1954 Custom with the P90 and Staple pickups. My wife is determined that someday she will buy for me the '57. I told her a Custom Shop VOS Reissue would be close enough!

The vintage guitar game is very hit or miss. Been to a guitar show lately? You'll discover quickly that what some dealers claim to be vintage is really just old shit!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,890
    The only Les Pauls I have ever owned/own have three pickups, must be the Ace thing, I just love em! I think they look really cool to, Peter Frampton's one a classic case as well.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,628
    Chris,
           Cherish your wife in every way possible. Remember to be humble when she places the '57 in your hands.
           Maybe in return you could buy her a new toaster or splurge on a dishwasher. =)

....... or the dream vacation she deserves in return.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,628
    I've considered a '62 Gretsch Country Gentleman like George Harrison's but I just don't like the dark walnut stain. Then again, without the proper color it wouldn't fill the bill. I'll probably take a pass on this one. Maybe a Tom Petty type Ric! =)