Amp issues

Hey all,

So I have an issue with my amp and I thought I'd consult with you guys before doing something about it. 

I have an Orange Dual Terror (basically, a 2-channel Tiny Terror amp).  During practice about 2 months ago, I lost gain on one of the channels.  I was still getting sound from that channel, but I was only getting relatively clean sounds (despite driving the gain all the way up), and the tone I was getting sounded a bit off (a lot of the bass was gone, so it sounded really trebbly).  I continued to use the amp on the other channel, thinking I'll deal with the defective channel later. Well, a few weeks later, the same thing happened to the functioning channel, so now both channels sound like shite.

I'm guessing this is a tube issue, as I've had this amp for approximately 7-8 years (and I bought it used).  The tubes haven't been changed since I've bought it, and the history of the tubes that came with it is unknown.  I was going to just go ahead and replace all the tubes, but I thought maybe I'd run it by you guys first before I drop $150 bucks on this issue.

What do you all think? Tube replacement? Should I get an amp tech to look at it?
Tagged:

Comments

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 976
    It's probably due for a full retube anyway, unless it's biased really cold. At minimum, replace the preamp tubes.  
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,700
    i'd start with the preamp tubes. 
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,581
    It is probably the preamp tubes, sounds like it.
    But I do want to stress that you should take it to an amp tech - DO NOT fuck around within a tube amp unless you really know what you're doing.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    You usually don't have to fuck around inside the amp to change the tubes.
    New tubes would be my first suggestion too.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,488
    edited May 2018
    It is probably the preamp tubes, sounds like it.
    But I do want to stress that you should take it to an amp tech - DO NOT fuck around within a tube amp unless you really know what you're doing.
    it ain’t rocket science.  if you can mow a lawn without cutting your leg off, you can probably change your tubes or do other, even slightly more complicated service procedures.
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,480
    Stupid question -- are you by chance running through a wah pedal that is accidentally ON?
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,693
    I have no idea how many preamps tubes a Dual Terror has, but If it’s anything like other amps I have seen I would be willing to bet it’s the second preamp tube...
  • Disciple83Disciple83 Posts: 380
    Haha, regarding the wah pedal being accidentally on.  In the past, that has happened me (didn't realize the wah was on).  This time, it's definitely not the wah.

Sounds like maybe I'll purchase new tubes - I'm thinking I might as well replace all of them since it's been a while and they're all probably due soon (4 12AX7 preamp, and 4  EL84 power amp tubes).  Based on previous threads here at DRG, sounds like people recommend the JJ ECC83s and the TAD-EL84-STR, so I'll go with those.  From what I've read also, seems like I can do this myself.  For the Dual Terror, there's no biasing required either - so it sounds straightforward.  

Thanks for the input everybody!  This is my first tube amp, so I thought I'd consult the experts here. 
  • Disciple83Disciple83 Posts: 380
    Out of curiousity, Tatosh, what makes you say the problem is with the second preamp tube?
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,480
    Haha, regarding the wah pedal being accidentally on.  In the past, that has happened me (didn't realize the wah was on).  This time, it's definitely not the wah.
    You laugh, but I fell pray to that and re-tubed my OTT . . .  and then got a Fulltone wah with an LED  so it would never happen again.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.