"Bohemian Rhapsody"

Comments

• M11M11 Posts: 815
    I'm with Osky and Dave on this movie. I found it hard to suspend my disbelief with all the creative licenses they took and Brian and Roger pussying out as Dave well put it. But then again... they did work with professional screenwriters and the movie won Best Motion Picture at the Golden Globes and is nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, so what do we Queen nerds know... 
  • I didn't mind the "artistic" license they took. It's a Hollywood movie, after all. Just saw Blackkklansman last week and they changed way, way more stuff there compared to Bohemian Rhapsody.

I thought it was absolutely amazing as far as a cinematic experience goes. i loved the music (but I knew that before I walked in, obviously) and I thought, the cinematography was excellent and the acting was cool too.The guy who plays May, Jesus!! Talk about great casting. Some of the editing left a bit to be desired to my taste and I am quite surprised it's getting an Oscar nomination in that category but oh well.

I especially like the fact that it seems to be getting younger people into better music. That's a plus in my book.
  • My opinion, goes on those ways:

The Movie: GREAT.
    If you want a movie about the birth and developement of a rock band and the moving life of his leader, with amazing music scenes, that's the one you need.

The Biopic: Not so great.
    Because they are some aspects or licenses not very accurated.
    It's bland in some parts, but, maybe, not necesary watching Freddy parting again and again, or hanging with young beautyfull guys. That part (in my opinion) is sugested in the right way.

The Freddy Tribute: PERFECT.
    It's a gift to Freddy, the fans, the family and Mary.
    The movie recognises Freddy's magic on writing, playing and performing and stablished how Freddy was the catalizer for the talent of all four.
    The way the love/drama history of Freddy and Mary is narrated it's beautifull, with great respect for Mary and Freddy.

I think Brian and Roger have pay some duty or something with Freddy (and John, by the way), and that's the way they're doing it.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,305
    saw it today and I enjoyed it for what it is. Not sure how factually correct it all is but still, I found it very enjoyable and even got emotional during several scenes. Rami Malek was on point as Freddie. It may or may not win them any new fans. I go way back with Queen. I got their first album right after it came out, not knowing anything about them but liking the cover. I went on to see them during their Night At The Opera tour. The only time I saw them. I say see it and make up your own mind. 
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,751
    edited March 2019
    The movie has been a mega hit worldwide. Like it or not. Watch out, sounds like a 2nd one may soon be in the works where the 1st one left off....nothing is official yet, but because it broke box office records...there will be another one. Just my opinion.
    Post edited by Donthegreek on
  • I bet this summer's Elton biopic with be better. I don't think EJ will pull his punches. 
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,582
    The movie has been a mega hit worldwide. Like it or not. Watch out, sounds like a 2nd one may soon be in the works where the 1st one left off....nothing is official yet, but because it broke box office records...there will be another one. Just my opinion.
     Wasn't that shot down by the band?
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,751
     Wasn't that shot down by the band? 

Hmmm...don't know.....it still can happen weather the band ok's it or not. Time will tell.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,591
    I've yet to see it. I may never see it. I have a hard time watching actors playing people I've watched closely over a number of years. No matter the actors skill it just strikes me as too much too soon. I can watch someone play Washington, Edison or Patton. I can watch movies about WW1, WW2, or Korea. I can watch classics about famous western heroes or gunslingers, historical European monarchs, etc., etc. When it's about someone or something that occurred that I can identify with on a personal level, (The Rat Pack, Vietnam, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Cold War, Major '50's, '60's, '70's, '80's bands or celebrities the bar is raised to a super high level that is seldom, if ever, attained.
                  I can't even imagine a movie called "Imagine" that I would watch. My car license plates read LENNON.  I would never watch the release of the film. If I live my life on the planet at the same time as a particular person or event I just never find a movie, TV series or whatever equal to the task of truly recreating and revealing the truth of the person or event. Somehow, despite the studio's best intentions, they all fail to capture the truth of the depth of thought, personality, belief or jigsaw of parts that make the person or event even close to my personal observations.
                  Movie makers should wait until those who lived it have passed. Something "lived" is as set in stone as your last name or mothers family or favorite pet as a child. The slightest misstep strikes a discordant chord that drags your memory into places you know from the "git go" don't even exist.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,707
    I bet this summer's Elton biopic with be better. I don't think EJ will pull his punches. 
    I really want to see this one. I am nowhere as big a fan of EJ as you are, but I am sucker for music biopics and these bunch are from a very special era, close to my heart. My wife loves his stuff, so we are totally gonna see it. Might be a little harder to make her sit thru "The Dirt", that said... LOL.
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,402
    I saw it, it was good, not great, but good. Rami Malek really did an excellent job, great acting. 
    What I like about this is the fact that it has brought Queen's music to the mainstream again, maybe it could start to bring some attention to some good new rock bands, with good songs and musicianship. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    I saw it, it was good, not great, but good. Rami Malek really did an excellent job, great acting. 
    What I like about this is the fact that it has brought Queen's music to the mainstream again, maybe it could start to bring some attention to some good new rock bands, with good songs and musicianship. 

You're probably right with the younger audience.....but man did Mike Myers and Dana Carvey really breathe new life into that band from that one scene in 'Wayne's World'. That song had more of a cult following before that movie...and afterwards it became the band's signature song and became a huge hit. Queen was super successful in the 70's and 80's.....but really became a household name in the early 90's and their music became relevant again. I really wonder what the spike in their album sales were after 'Wayne's World'....because that was well before music downloading came into play.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,488
    You're probably right with the younger audience.....but man did Mike Myers and Dana Carvey really breathe new life into that band from that one scene in 'Wayne's World'. That song had more of a cult following before that movie...and afterwards it became the band's signature song and became a huge hit. Queen was super successful in the 70's and 80's.....but really became a household name in the early 90's and their music became relevant again. I really wonder what the spike in their album sales were after 'Wayne's World'....because that was well before music downloading came into play.
    that's a good point, for sure.  i think you're the first person i've ever heard mention this.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,873
    Simply, Live Aid was the spike for the band imho, us fans of the band knew that Queen were one the best bands ever live, on that day in July the whole world knew it to. 
  • DivasaurusDivasaurus Posts: 56
    @Duojett71 TOTALLY!  Hence the inside joke casting where Mike Myers played the record exec that nearly didn't let the song ever see the light of day in the Bohemian Rhapsody movie!  LOL!!! 

Having seen both Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, both biopics-one a more blow by blow accounting and one a fantasy Bwy musical version- both of which were made by extremely savvy British biz rockers who knew the works should be crafted as to welcome in a younger generation, who live on YT and are really into their parents music and are starting to feel like they are discovering it themselves in their own way with these reaction videos that they make (btw...you should see these kids this will blow your minds!).....

My biggest umbrage about Bohemian Rhapsody, aside from the fact that they never thought to get Rami Malek some brown contacts (FFS you got the teeth part perfectly but you can't get him some brown contacts???), is that I feel that the film ultimately dishonors the LGBTQA community outright, and that in 2019 to treat HIV and AIDS with the same tone as if it's still something to hide, like it's still 1989 is regressive and unfortunate.  Freddie lived, as did Elton, and as did Rob Halford trapped, unable to speak their truths for the fear of losing their audiences.  Even though the obvious was there for all to see all along, admittedly in the 1970's what with Glam Rock and Androgyny and Sexual Gender Bending this was easier to overlook than the glare of 1980's hyper-masculine and sadly hyper-misogynist pose, these men had to profess to be that which they were not, and the silence ultimately killed as much as the disease did.  That they toned down rock and roll debauchery and excess to a place where it was palatable for little Judy and Johnny to go with Mom and Dad and make it a fun day for the whole family doesn't bother me NEARLY as much as THAT does.  In 2019 to watch this be glossed over, no less historically inaccurately, and then not have the audience have to go through the agony, of watching this glorious hero, this Zeus-ian God, and epic talent....who really just wanted to be loved and find acceptance and who proved to be as human as any of us, DIE.  So creative license, historical inaccuracies, bending truth, all of it?  I don't love it, but I also want every single biopic to look and feel like Almost Famous, so I get that it's not going to be about what I want.  However, I'd have felt better with the things I didn't like if they'd forced the world to have to have their fucking hearts SHATTERED into a gazillion fucking pieces the way so many of us had their hearts broken.  That man, did not HAVE to die.  In 1989, the stance was very much that this was gay cancer and no one was really looking for a cure until STRAIGHT people started to get sick.  Freddie was glorious, crucial and heroic.  I wanted the audience to feel the gravity of the loss and the gravity of a nation and a world that allowed him to fucking die because he was gay.  I'd have personally been a lot happier had he died, and then the film end BACK at Wembley for the huge all star tribute.