"Bohemian Rhapsody"

otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,688
I want to see it, but I don't.  You know, same way I felt about "The Doors."  "The Runaways" was pretty good, though.

It seems like they're going to be focusing mostly on Freddie.  I just hope it's not ta hit job like "The Doors" was on Morrison.

Kind of on the fence about this.  Y'all know Brian's my hero.  The guy playing him is uncannily like him.  The more I think about it, the hardest guy to get right is going to be John Deacon, because the guy is reclusive and doesn't do media at all.

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,926
    It's been established that the surviving members of Queen kind of pussed-out on this movie by ducking the issues of Freddie's sexuality and his death from AIDS. It forced Sacha Cohen (who was supposed to play Freddie) to say "fuck this shit" and bail on the project. 

The band had an opportunity here to do some greater good, and instead, they ducked it. Shame on them. 

That said, the trailer looks amazing and obviously I'll be seeing this -- if not in a theater, later at home.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,240
    Looks like they have the looks of everyone on target. I'm curious to learn more. It will be the first non-MCU or Star Wars movie I'll see in a long time!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    Wow....the trailer looks really good. I will definitely go see it. The guy's voice playing Brian May sounds identical...and the guy playing Mercury appears to nail it.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,926
    It's gonna be very tough to watch.  I was getting a lump in my throat just with the trailer. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,672
    I can separate their lifes from their job. I think that isn't a biopic, but the history of the band.
    Yes, Freddy is iconic for the most part of the world (we, here at DRG know that Queen was a four piece of talente guys band), so, myself, as producer, I would make the same decision, put the eye on FM, and search the target.

If you search on YTB, you can watch part of the filming for the Live Aid scene. Incredible; when you have enough money, you can put the real stage on the real place.

And, also, you can feel the same "lump in the throat" if you watch the Making Off Bohemian Rapsody.

Maybe, it's recomended: watch the doco, and after, the movie:

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,014
    I am really looking forward to this. The trailer looks great.
  • ...It forced Sacha Cohen (who was supposed to play Freddie) to say "fuck this shit" and bail on the project. 
    That’s too bad. This role could have done for him what Ray did for Jaime Foxx.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    ...It forced Sacha Cohen (who was supposed to play Freddie) to say "fuck this shit" and bail on the project. 
    ...hosting a game show?
  • German Shepherd German Shepherd Posts: 50
    edited June 2018
    Duojett71 said:
    ...It forced Sacha Cohen (who was supposed to play Freddie) to say "fuck this shit" and bail on the project. 
    ...hosting a game show?
    LMAO! Touché, that was a good one, But Jaime did score an Oscar for Ray and (at least for a while) Had a few more doors open for him as a result.
    Post edited by German Shepherd on
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    Saw the trailer when I went to see Dead Pool 2 and Solo, looks like it’ll be good.
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,627
    Very much looking forward to this!! B)
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,688
    Went to see it with two of my nieces.  It was VERY GOOD.

The amazing thing is that it really was about Freddie and Mary's relationship, with the band as central characters.  The middle act was really the only thing that was about his sexuality.  They really did a good job of showing how the others were contributing songs.  Brian coming up with "We Will Rock You" as an audience participation number, John coming up with "Another One Bites the Dust."  A part about their special relationship with Japan.  Freddie's strained relationship, and ultimate reconciliation with his family.  A credit reel showing the real band members.

Really, the only things missing for me, were the development of "The Prophet's Song" and "Under Pressure."  I'm guessing they just couldn't find an actor suitable to play David Bowie.

If you haven't seen it, it comes highly reccommended by this board's resident Queen freak.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,240
    I saw it in November when it came out. I liked it. I thought it was good, but not great. My wife absolutely loved it and has started becoming quite a Freddie fan herself.

I am very pleased to see the accolades the movie is receiving in the way of the awards shows. I generally don't give a rat's ass about any of them, but I am hoping BR takes Best Picture and Best Actor Oscars this year.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • I thought the performances were great, but the script wasn't.  If you weren't already a Queen fan, this could really turn you on, but if you were already a die-hard who knows the real stories, the artistic license, pulled-punches, and PG-afying, could piss you off.  So while Amy hated it, I liked it, but felt it could have been so much more if Brian and Roger hadn't pussed-out so much. 
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,057
    I thought the performances were great, but the script wasn't.  If you weren't already a Queen fan, this could really turn you on, but if you were already a die-hard who knows the real stories, the artistic license, pulled-punches, and PG-afying, could piss you off.  So while Amy hated it, I liked it, but felt it could have been so much more if Brian and Roger hadn't pussed-out so much. 
    That pretty much sums up my feelings on it too Dave. My two sons loved it and definitely made them appreciate the band more and I thought the acting was excellent. But as a fan from right back in 1974 the inaccuracies in the time line really pissed me off!