Comments

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 790
    Cool interview. Lot's of new stuff as well as the old stuff he always says. He must be an interesting person to meet. I know I would love to.

I got a kick of the fact he criticized Yngwie for being so tall. But he did acknowledge that he knows his theory. BTW. i did meet Yngwie a few years ago and he indeed towers over most people... LOL.
  • SirionSirion Posts: 2,952

So, in retrospect, we now know what the end pin on the headstock of Ritchie's old neck was there for: to prevent him from putting on clip-on tuners.

Cool interview, though!
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,262

What traits or qualities to do you look for in musicians to work with?

Somebody who likes to drink is obviously important. [laughs] You can make a joke of it, but I’ve met people who say, “I don’t drink at all. I stopped drinking five years ago.” And those people I’ve always had problems with. They might not drink, but they do everything else that’s crazy. If someone says, “I don’t drink much; I just like to have a few,” that’s fine. But it’s when they make that big statement that I say, “Oh dear, then, what’s your real problem? I might be dealing with the wrong person here.”

LOL! 

Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,777
    Checked my mail after work today....and I couldn't believe it, finally Blackers on the cover of Guitar World again, in my mailbox on April 14, 2018. 

Happy Birthday Ritchie!!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,447
    I wonder who the bass player is that he referred to that was flashy and ran around waving his hands? Interesting interview...
  • Lonesome CrowLonesome Crow Posts: 591
    Duojett71 said:
    I wonder who the bass player is that he referred to that was flashy and ran around waving his hands? Interesting interview...
    Dollars to donuts it's Billy Sheehan.
    edited April 17
    Duojett71 said:
    That was my first thought as well. The only other option I can think of is Steve Harris, and the Foreigner reference makes no sense then.
    Post edited by Sirion on
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,571
    Awesome.  I just received my issue in the mail today and can’t wait to read the interview.  Imagine my surprise when I revived the issue with one of my favorite alltime players on the cover and I am briefly featured myself on page 16.  Doesn’t get any better than this.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,447
    Sirion said:
    Duojett71 said:
    That was my first thought as well. The only other option I can think of is Steve Harris, and the Foreigner reference makes no sense then.
    Blackmore was an Iron Maiden fan early on....it was actually him that turned Martin Birch on to them when Maiden released their first album.....so I am sure he knows Steve Harris fairly well and respects him.

The only person I can think of that makes sense is Kip Winger....but Kip wasn't a flashy bass player.....maybe it was Billy Sheehan.
  • g_stringg_string Posts: 1,647
    Great read. I liked that the interview gathered video links for referenced material.

Good timing with this too for me as I've been on a bit of a Ritchie Blackmore kick recently. I liked all the bits in the interview that deal with being the f*ckin' man! Leading a band, schooling in music, staying in castles! =D The gear sections of the interview are interesting too. His whole approach to sound resonates with me. Magical. I hope this Rainbow incarnation does an American tour. I'm just thinking how many of my top favorites I haven't seen live... hmm.

Anybody here a fan of Blackmore's Night? I have a sweet spot for female vocals (if I like a girl's voice I'm f*cked!) and have brushed over some their songs but haven't listened in depth. I liked what I heard though.

"The whole point of music, from the beginning of time, is to be happy." - Robert Plant
    g_string said:

Anybody here a fan of Blackmore's Night? I have a sweet spot for female vocals (if I like a girl's voice I'm f*cked!) and have brushed over some their songs but haven't listened in depth. I liked what I heard though.
    I like some of it for what it is, even though I haven't felt the need to buy any new albums for a decade or so. I remember them as having some interesting, moody material, but also being too long, and having a fair amount of filler. Of the older ones, I thought Fires at Midnight was the best one.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,262
    Maybe it was Sarzo?
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,271
    edited April 18
    It's a great interview. Whenever I read or watch an interview with Blackmore I thoroughly enjoy it. The man knows how to keep it interesting, that's for sure!

As for the bass player I immediately thought of Jeff Pilson. Isn't he in Foreigner? I think so, he might be playing guitar though - the only thing I remember from watching the a few years back (having had waaay to much to drink that day) was that there was an helluva lot of guitar players on stage. But maaan, that dude prance around the stage, at least he did back in the day...
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 790
    Say what you will about Blackers, it's impossible for that man to not be interesting...
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,153
    Maybe it was Sarzo?

That was my first guess, but as a player he's not really flashy.