VH book by ex tour manager Noel Monk

Has anyone read this? In excellent new UK magazine Rock candy ...this guy was their tour manager 78 to 84.. There's a 4 page interview with him and the comments are pretty explosive ... Planning to purchase at some point .... 

Comments

• VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,487
    I hope it’s better than the last VH book about their early days. That one felt like reading the worlds longest Wikipedia entry with a bunch of sourced quotes with author provided transitional
    phrases. 
  • Venomboy said:
    I hope it’s better than the last VH book about their early days. That one felt like reading the worlds longest Wikipedia entry with a bunch of sourced quotes with author provided transitional
    phrases. 
    Yes  I hot that after positive reviews on here and must admit its pretty much stayed on the shelf ever since  
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,350
    I read both. And found both to be enjoyable and informative. The book by Monk is the better of the two though, but Rising gives insight in the earliest workings of the band.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,487
    Rising was interesting as a history book but didn’t hold my attention. Felt 1 step above a Popoff book...endless quotes from other sources. No climax. 

But what it did reinforce is that hard work pays off and if you want to kick ass then you better practice. 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,350
    Rising is about as for removed from a Popoff listicle as a bio gets :open_mouth: 
    I agree it doesn't exactly breathe research, but it's a smooth read, for one.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,447
    I need to pick the Monk book back up....I read the first 40 or so pages and got so busy with other things that I forgot about it. What I did read was good and well written.
  • kneprockkneprock Posts: 637
    I liked the Monk book. Neither Van Halen brother comes off looking good, but I learned more about the business side of touring during that era.