favorite non-dino solos

Comments

• shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    edited July 2018
    Another guy with loads of nice melodic solos is Steve Rothery. Dave Gilmour is his biggest influence but I can hear a bit of Schenker & Blackmore in there.
    Post edited by shaggy on
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    I Want You, (She's So Heavy), from The Beatles Abbey Road.

• bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,559
    probably my favorite James Burton ride @ 1:56

https://youtu.be/JlOE_Q1Yobs
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,559
    I forgot Todd Rundgren's solo on Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell.  
    yeah, Rundgren and Kortchmar too, belong in the thread.  no doubt.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    I forgot Todd Rundgren's solo on Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell.  
    Absolutely! chills down the spine playing! Love this clip from the Classic Albums DVD where you get to hear the isolated motorcycle guitar straight into the solo. Wish the isolated guitar for the whole of the song was available!

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Dammit - now I need to know what guitar Todd was using!
    I never realised that the wang-bar abuse was the same track as the solo. Could that have been a very early Floyd Rose?
    edited July 2018
    Snoogans said:
    Dammit - now I need to know what guitar Todd was using!
    I never realised that the wang-bar abuse was the same track as the solo. Could that have been a very early Floyd Rose?
    I doubt it was a Floyd as the LP was recorded in 1976, dont think they were around until 1979 but I could stand corrected on that. My best guess is it was a Fender Mustang which he seemed to be using a lot in the late 70s

Post edited by Osky on
    Todd 78.jpg 95.8K
    All this Todd talk has reminded me of another tune where he's in Dino mode...

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Gilmour or SRV. Take your pick.
    I'd say Rory, but Rory is a Dino to me.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Osky said:
    I doubt it was a Floyd as the LP was recorded in 1976, dont think they were around until 1979 but I could stand corrected on that. My best guess is it was a Fender Mustang which he seemed to be using a lot in the late 70s
    I thought BOOH was recorded in '77, but I'm quite prepared to be proven wrong - I didn't bother looking it up or anything!  I know there were some prototype Floyds floating about around then.
    (See what I did there?)
    budum! tish! LOL

Yeah I thought 1977 too, but assuming Wikipedia is correct it was recorded 1975 - 76. I know they spent the best part of a year trying to get a record deal afterwards as it was mentioned in the Classic Albums DVD.
    Does it also count if the person in question is a Dino doing non Dino things?  Case in point, nearly every single solo Steve Lukather has taken for other people?  One of my faves of his in a non Dino way is the acoustic solo on Lionel Ritchie's "Hello" and from there the blazing electric solo on  "Runnin' With the Night"  And of course....a gazillion others but I think he's considered a Dino here (I can't remember it's been a long time).  Certainly the outro solo to Rosanna is just mindblowing. 
    Lukather is definitely Dino in my book even if the tunes he's playing on aren't. I love his stuff with The Tubes like Out of the Business and Talk To Ya Later.
    If we are counting Dinos playing on non-dino material then perhaps the most influential example would be Eddie on Beat It. Afterwards everyone and their dog started cramming hard rock solos into their pop tunes for a while.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    edited July 2018
    How about Keith on Sympathy and Gimme Shelter?
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    Joan Jett's guitarist Ricky Byrd on I Love Rock n' Roll.  Some bad-ass attitude and TONE in that.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.