favorite non-dino solos

i have a bunch.  lots of James Burton and Cliff Gallup, in particular, but this is my current favorite.  Edge channels Mick Ronson excellently here:

https://youtu.be/5Y1YFH9A3Bw
Post edited by bourbonsamurai on

Comments

• bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 915
    edited April 4
    i’d also throw Jay Graydon’s Peg, Larry Carlton’s Kid Charlemagne, and Skunk’s Rikki Don’t Lose That Number in the mix.
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
    Skunk is a whole category by himself, here, and i’m excluding his steel guitar contributions:  as far as Doobies, How Will The Fools Survive, and Take Me In Your Arms.  Donna Summer’s Hot Stuff.  holy shit, tastiest MFer ever.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,153
    edited April 4
    Non-dino (though some are borderline cases IMO), and more generally non-metal:

Steve Hackett: "Firth of Fifth", "After the Ordeal" and in fact pretty much everything he did on classic Genesis albums. 

David Gilmour:  countless examples, let's say "Time", "Shine on...", "Comfortably Numb",  "Young Lust", and so on.

Martin Barre:  "Aqualung", "Beastie", "Seal Driver", among others. 
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,495
    My favourite solo of all time is decidedly non-Dino. It's the one in Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights". Not flashy, just simple, soaring and melodic, fits the song perfectly. Ian Bairnson is the man responsible. To me, it sounds like a LP running P90s through an old Marshall.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 790
    Way too many to mention, I would say. Some are definitely not dino while others are almost there, I suppose. There's some by Santana, like Europa. There's Gilmour (Comfortably Numb is definitely one of my all time favorites) Don Felder played some great stuff in the Eagles. And then there's the heavier metal stuff like what Friedman played in Megadeth (Tornado of Souls) or Skolnick played in Testament (Practice what you Preach and a couple others). There's some excellent stuff there.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,515
    25 or 6 to 4
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 790
    Haffner said:
    25 or 6 to 4
    Great one!
    Another one is the playout solo on Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street". You very rarely get to hear it in entirety, 'cos that's where the radio DJs always fade it out
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,571
    How about almost any solo by Elliott Easton on the Cars stuff.  All really cool.  
  • OskyOsky Posts: 871
    For a melodic one Snoogans beat me to it with Kate Bush but kind of in a similar 70s pop vein...

For a WTF face melting one, this changed my life... goto 1:57 and 5:28 if you just want the solos

and another great solo over a funk groove...

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,262
    George Harrison's solo on Something comes to mind. 
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 871
    Is Vai a Dino or not? ...borderline I'd say but either way PIL definitely aint but this is my fave solo of the Italian Stallion

Osky said:
    For a melodic one Snoogans beat me to it with Kate Bush but kind of in a similar 70s pop vein...

For a WTF face melting one, this changed my life... goto 1:57 and 5:28 if you just want the solos

and another great solo over a funk groove...

That solo in Goodbye To Love is probably the most wonderful solo with the most teeth-gratingly awful fuzz tone in recorded history.
    And you nailed it with Reasons To be Cheerful. The Blockheads were a monster funk outfit. Those geezers could give Nile Rodgers and Co. a real run for their money!
    George Harrison's solo on Something comes to mind. 
    yeah that’s a pretty great example!
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,719
    I always loved and still do The Walkers Brothers No regrets, bit like the carpenters stuff, a great guitar solo just bursts out of the song from nowhere, same as My Love by Wings, they hit you when you least expect, but mighty fine they are.