Dave's New (York) Rig!

So when I played the holiday gig with my company band (with my FEINTS rig), I KNEW I needed re-think my rig for my new lifestyle. As much as I love lunchbox heads and as portable as they are, they are still too much gear for an on-foot/subway musician carrying a guitar on my back.  And my 65-70 lb pedalboard was WAY too much to schlep ANYWHERE without a car.  

So the first step was getting the Bluguitar Amp1 and figuring out how to scale down with the effects.  Here is what I have come up with:

Roadrunner pedalboard bag, roughly $30.

The floor of the bag is velcro friendly, but not stiff enough to support the weight.

So I added a removable 3/8" pegboard. The two metal discs are the Easylocks to attach the Blug.

Adding velcro loop strips for the pedals. 

Version 1.  Blug, Phase 90, Golden Cello Boost/Delay pedal, Dunlop MINI volume and wah pedals. BTW, very impressed with the mini wah. This is kind of my bare minimum for effects.  Still room for a chorus pedal if I want to jam one on there.  I also decided to forgo the tuner pedal for a (much lighter) headstock tuner. 

Total weight: 24lbs including the guitar and cab cables.  Hold it in your hand, or throw it on a shoulder strap. 

You can play it from IN the bag, or remove the pegboard and put it on the floor.

And remember, this rig is WITH the amp! With 2 clean and 2 crunch gain stages. With ONE pedal providing both boost AND delay. 

So now all I need to rehearse or gig is a CAB.

Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
rig0.JPG 4.4M
rig2.JPG 2.3M
rig3.JPG 2.7M
rig4.JPG 2.5M

Comments

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 790
    That's totally awesome. I actually recommended the Blug to a friend yesterday based basically on your experience with it, since I have never even seen one in person. Now that you are basically done I could actually see myself gigging with that. Now I know you are using this for the company gig, but do you think you could pull off a dino rock /metal gig with this?

I also decided to forgo the tuner pedal for a (much lighter) headstock tuner. 

Oh boy! Sancho is gonna have a field day with this!! :#
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,262
    That's totally awesome. I actually recommended the Blug to a friend yesterday based basically on your experience with it, since I have never even seen one in person. Now that you are basically done I could actually see myself gigging with that. Now I know you are using this for the company gig, but do you think you could pull off a dino rock /metal gig with this?

True, but unless he wants to fly over and roadie for me, I'm going with lighter/easier.
  • That's totally awesome. I actually recommended the Blug to a friend yesterday based basically on your experience with it, since I have never even seen one in person. Now that you are basically done I could actually see myself gigging with that. Now I know you are using this for the company gig, but do you think you could pull off a dino rock /metal gig with this?

i’ve got a TC Polytune clip on, and i’ll never go back to a pedal.  if the aesthetics bother you, you don’t have to leave it on the headstock.
  • hey Dave, check out Paul Gilbert’s fly rig.  it’s fun how he breaks it all down:  https://youtu.be/rMevX0WBiWI
    Now I know you are using this for the company gig, but do you think you could pull off a dino rock /metal gig with this? 
    Sure. In fact, I think Uli is using one now.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 875
    edited March 25
    Now I know you are using this for the company gig, but do you think you could pull off a dino rock /metal gig with this? 
    Sure. In fact, I think Uli is using one now.
    I know he had one on his 10-acre pedalboard a year ago. David Klosinski was using one through a Marshall 1x12, and it sounded really good. 

I also have to say that after my most recent gig, I'm looking that and considering how much easier it would be than the head, bag, and 4x12. 
    Post edited by TravisW on
    It would somewhat defeat the point of scaling down, but I could see running TWO Blugs in stereo sounding great, one set dirty on the crunch channel, one set somewhat cleaner, like say the clean + boost.  
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,350
    But... But... But...
     :s 

Whatever works for you man. But please, help Baby Sancho sleep at night : take the tuner off when playing...
    I see plenty of room there for a Pitchblack that weighs what, 100 grams?
    ;)
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,898
    Sancho said:
    I see plenty of room there for a Pitchblack that weighs what, 100 grams?
    ;)

Or a t.c. electronic PolyTune Mini, which provides for silent tuning too.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,777
    edited March 25
    I still haven't figured out how to post pics on here but I have a killer little mini pedalboard I made up for my Marshall Class 5 combo amp a couple of years ago......PedalTrain Nano powered by a PedalTrain Volto  >>>it goes ( right to left )  guitar in>>> TC Electronics Polytune Mini,AMT Japanese Girl mini-wah, Ibanez Tube Screamer Mini, MXR Carbon Copy delay into original mini Ditto looper >>> out to amp.....the Nano pedalboard came with a small carrying case that will include pedals mounted & it has a handle for carrying.....I love this thing & the pedals attached are all I really need. The Volto will power the thing for a good 2 hours of jamming,& really eliminates the need for an external power source, so it's pretty self contained.I think I'll get another Volto for backup.It mounts underneath the board very snug & unobtrusive too.I use the 1/4" patch plugs for this board too; no cables except guitar in & out to amp.....in this case I don't use a wireless 'cuz I dig the compactness of this little 'board.

It's fun having a mini setup! 
    Post edited by Stitsel on
    edited March 25
    Stitsel said:
    I still haven't figured out how to post pics on here 
    Really? Click the dog-eared page icon (9th from the left) where the tooltip says: "attache image or file." If you need further instructions from there, say so.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    So does the Pitchblack, for that matter. I have never used a Polytune but my next pedal tuner may well be one as the regular Pitchblack seems to be discontinued.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,898
    Sancho said:
    So does the Pitchblack, for that matter. I have never used a Polytune but my next pedal tuner may well be one as the regular Pitchblack seems to be discontinued.

I think they all do now, which is why I stopped making my Pedalboard Junction devices. I became obsolete!

Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
    Took the bag to rehearsal last night, and it worked pretty darn well. The bag is nice a compact, the handle well padded and it weighs about 24 lbs cords and all. So no real problem lugging it 3 blocks with a guitar on my back.  

Once I got there, I opened the bag, left everything IN the bag and used it from within the bag. I plugged into an Orange 2x12 cab. I used the Blug on the Clean + boost a lot last night, and it sounded great. Phase 90 sounds fantastic with the Clean + boost. I kicked in the crunch channel for leads and used the Cello (boost + delay) as well.  The only issue is trying to get the correct volume balance between the clean and crunch channels. But that's just my inexperience with the Blug -- I got it after some tweaking. I need to get some tape out and mark the settings with a sharpie.  I'm also still fiddling with that trying to find the best settings on the MP Cello. It's a pretty noisy pedal. Jury's still out on the Cello. I should figure that out while I can still return it.