Do You Rank Jake's Two w/ Ozzy the Equal of Randy's (GUITAR ONLY)?

123457»

Comments

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,321
    As far as the overall package goes Dio, Gillan and Tony Martin eras of Sabbath from the same period is WAYYY better than Ozzy's solo career for me. That's just incredible albums one after another until Forbidden. 

But on topic, if we're just evaluating just guitar playing across those 4 albums, both rhythm and lead playing - I enjoy Jake's work a little bit more than Randy's. 
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,799
    As far as the overall package goes Dio, Gillan and Tony Martin eras of Sabbath from the same period is WAYYY better than Ozzy's solo career for me. That's just incredible albums one after another until Forbidden. 

I have to thrown in the Glenn Hughes era too, because Seventh Star is of sentimental value for me.

Still, I have to hold up Flying High Again, Mr. Crowley, Rock 'n Roll Rebel, and a couple of others as songs that I feel Osbourne should be proud of....even given his apparently minimal writing involvement ;)

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Duojett71 said:
    The Headless Cross is a great album. I really need to get another copy of that. I wish Tony would do a proper reissue.
    He won't. Ozzy won't let him do anything Sabbath related he's not involved in.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    Sancho said:
    He won't. Ozzy won't let him do anything Sabbath related he's not involved in.
    And people wonder why I can't stand the Osbourne camp anymore...
    Sancho said:
    Duojett71 said:
    The Headless Cross is a great album. I really need to get another copy of that. I wish Tony would do a proper reissue.
    He won't. Ozzy won't let him do anything Sabbath related he's not involved in.I

I've got that on cassette and olllld CD. That and Eternal Idol. I don't know why I still have these cassettes. Maybe sentiment, because that's how I first got them.

I even have a copy of In Trance on cassette, still!

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,700
    Haffner said:
    Sancho said:
    Duojett71 said:
    He won't. Ozzy won't let him do anything Sabbath related he's not involved in.I

I've got that on cassette and olllld CD. That and Eternal Idol. I don't know why I still have these cassettes. Maybe sentiment, because that's how I first got them.

I even have a copy of In Trance on cassette, still!

I have several cassettes on a case back at my mother's house. Stuff like RATT's Out in the Cellar, Leppard's High N Dry and Pyromania. I also have Uli era Scorpions and Priest's Defenders of the Faith on LP. I'll never get rid of that stuff...

I have several cassettes on a case back at my mother's house. Stuff like RATT's Out in the Cellar, Leppard's High N Dry and Pyromania. I also have Uli era Scorpions and Priest's Defenders of the Faith on LP. I'll never get rid of that stuff...
    It's unlikely I'll ever play them again, but...it's a nostalgia thing I guess. Plus, it reminds me how long Jasmine and I have been together, as both cassettes and cds were still at least somewhat in vogue in 2002.
  • JohnnyJohnny Posts: 81
    I voted "Yes". I could argue that Randy had a little edge in songwriting but overall Jake is an insane player. Jake did ridiciulous things on his guitar, I think that objectively he had a better command over the instrument than Randy. And Randy was ridiculously good. It's just that Jake is very underrated in mainstream circles.
  • German Shepherd German Shepherd Posts: 50
    edited April 2018
    I’ve watched several live vids of Jake & Zakk and like both well enough.

I think Jake just had the misfortune of following Randy so soon after his death and Zakk was lucky enough to come around after sentiment over Randy had faded a bit. I wonder how perceptions would be if Their positions had been reversed.

As far as the original question goes, I know it’s considered sacrilege to screw around with Randy’s solos, but I don’t hear many messing around with the solo to Bark At The Moon.
    Post edited by German Shepherd on
  • Y'all know how I voted. I think overall Jake is/was a better player than Randy. His tone was better too. That said, I like Randy's songwriting better. One of my very favorite solos is the outro in "Tonight". I can't think of anything by Jake that moved me quite like that solo.