Do You Rank Jake's Two w/ Ozzy the Equal of Randy's (GUITAR ONLY)?

Comments

• SkyeSkye Posts: 1,660
    Haffner said:
    Skye said:

But anyway to me Randy stands apart as the pinnacle of Ozzy's solo output. Nothing is as affecting to me as those first two albums.

Really? None of the Sabbath?
    Of course. I meant Ozzy as a solo artist. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,804
    Skye said:
    Haffner said:
    Skye said:

But anyway to me Randy stands apart as the pinnacle of Ozzy's solo output. Nothing is as affecting to me as those first two albums.

Really? None of the Sabbath?
    Of course. I meant Ozzy as a solo artist. 

Sorry Skye...I just seemed to  remember you kinda liking Sabbath...a lot :) \m/
    edited March 2018
    Oh I definitely do, both Ozzy and Dio eras. But I was just talking about how Randy stands up for me vs. Jake or even Zakk. 

I was in 5th or 6th grade the first time I heard Sabbath, and it was a little much for me. I was 14 or so in 1980 when Blizzard dropped, and I was at a better age to instantly love that, then I kind of backtracked to the earlier Sabbath stuff. 
    Post edited by Skye on
    Skye said:
    Oh I definitely do, both Ozzy and Dio eras. But I was just talking about how Randy stands up for me vs. Jake or even Zakk. 

I was in 5th or 6th grade the first time I heard Sabbath, and it was a little much for me. I was 14 or so in 1980 when Blizzard dropped, and I was at a better age to instantly love that, then I kind of backtracked to the earlier Sabbath stuff. 

That's a really cool way to be introduced! To me Geezer's lyrics more often than not had more depth that those of Daisley (proof is all over Vol.4, for one example).

But that's just my opinion.

Yeah I would probably agree with that, but I love Bob's lyrics too. I also think Bob Daisley is one of the truly great rock bassists in history, I really love his bass lines, I think they are inventive, powerful and grooving.

Yeah I'll never forget I was at my friend Tom's house sleeping over and him and his older brother pulled out the greatest hits album We Sold Our Souls For Rock and Roll, with the fold-out of the chick in the electric coffin. Their room was up in the attic. Turned out the lights, cranked up the song Black Sabbath, and proceeded to blow my mind! Definitely made a big, somewhat scary impression on my 5th grade ass!! 
    Skye said:
    Yeah I would probably agree with that, but I love Bob's lyrics too. I also think Bob Daisley is one of the truly great rock bassists in history, I really love his bass lines, I think they are inventive, powerful and grooving.

Yeah I'll never forget I was at my friend Tom's house sleeping over and him and his older brother pulled out the greatest hits album We Sold Our Souls For Rock and Roll, with the fold-out of the chick in the electric coffin. Their room was up in the attic. Turned out the lights, cranked up the song Black Sabbath, and proceeded to blow my mind! Definitely made a big, somewhat scary impression on my 5th grade ass!! 

That's killer!
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,488
    this thread is awesome.  simply incredible how deep the roots are on the Sabbath/Ozzy/Dio tree.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Let me throw two more cents in the discussion, since Black Sabbath was mentioned : I'll take the Tony Martin era Sabbath albums (and Seventh Star for that matter) over anything Ozzy did after No Rest For The Wicked.
    Sancho said:
    Let me throw two more cents in the discussion, since Black Sabbath was mentioned : I'll take the Tony Martin era Sabbath albums (and Seventh Star for that matter) over anything Ozzy did after No Rest For The Wicked.
    Substitute Ultimate Sin for No Rest For the Wicked and I feel this.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    Sancho said:
    100% agree with this. It's not even close IMO.
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 584
    Duojett71 said:
    Sancho said:
    100% agree with this. It's not even close IMO.
    I feel exactly the same.  I'll go even further and say that I'd rather listen to anything that Iommi played on in the 80s and beyond than anything Ozzy has done post-NMT.  On the original topic, I always thought that Jake's stuff was more challenging technically but Randy generally had the better and more memorable parts, solos and songs.  Both are fantastic players that I love equally.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    I must admit I've not really listened to NRFTW.
    I liked NMT at first, but I can't really remember most of the songs from it, which doesn't say much. Whereas I can sing/play/hum pretty much everything from Blizzard right throught to Ultimate Sin. 

And I really like Eternal Idol. Not really listened to anything past that though. And I prefer Ray Gillen's vocals. 
    Dr Nick said:
    I must admit I've not really listened to NRFTW.
    I liked NMT at first, but I can't really remember most of the songs from it, which doesn't say much. Whereas I can sing/play/hum pretty much everything from Blizzard right throught to Ultimate Sin. 

And I really like Eternal Idol. Not really listened to anything past that though. And I prefer Ray Gillen's vocals. 
    There's some great songs after EI, Nick. Headless Cross is often considered the "Paranoid" of the Martin years. I also happen to be a fan of Cross Purposes; though I went years unfairly dismissing it because Dio had been fired. About half of CP is really good Metal with excellent vocals imo. And it was the last Black Sabbath album (except for Devil You Know, which didn't have the name) that was worth owning by Black Sabbath imho.
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 584
    I blew off the Martin Era for many years, but I've got a nice compilation called Sabbath Stones I spin often lately.   It has mostly tunes from the Martin-era albums (a few from other 80s,90s Sab albums),  and it's got some killer tracks.  I'm not sure about albums as a whole beyond EI/CP, but there are at least a few great songs on each release.  
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    edited March 2018
    The Headless Cross is a great album. I really need to get another copy of that. I wish Tony would do a proper reissue.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on