Do You Rank Jake's Two w/ Ozzy the Equal of Randy's (GUITAR ONLY)?

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,933

I'm first to admit there's quite a gaping discrepancy between number of great songs on the Rhoads albums vs. the Jake (though the latter have a few striking exceptions imo). This thread is about the guitar side of things, as abstracted from the whole as much as possible (of course the songs always have something to do with the solos, or at least we all like to think that way).

This is not written to troll or irritate anyone. I stand by the strongest Ozzy/Randy songs and solos as being like a 9th wonder of the world...however, solos like BATM, Rock 'n Roll Rebel, Never, Killer of Giants, etc. To me those are no joke whatsoever, even in light of Randy's superhuman effort.

Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts, and hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

You do not have permission to view polls.
Post edited by Haffner on

Comments

• VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    I don’t listen to the Jake records as much as the Randy records because the songs aren’t quite as good. I don’t really care for a lot of Blizzard though. So song wise the Randy records win by just a touch. 

Both guitarists are badasses. Just a bit different. But I think some of Jakes solos are just as good as Randy’s. 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    No. I rate em higher.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    I think the Randy-era songs are a bit better, but from a guitar standpoint I like Jake's tone better. Playing-wise, they're very different. I like the structured element of Randy's playing, but Jake sounds smoother to me. 
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,610
    jake’s solos are great, but not only is the level of the level of consistency absent, song-wise, so is the level of innovation, compared to Randy.  Randy always sounds fresh, because for most, that was the first time you heard a guitar played like that.  i hear Blizzard, Diary, or ESPECIALLY Tribute, and i’m right back in that same place again, staring blankly in slack jawed amazement.  Jake is just riding his wake, like so many others.  and Jake’s awesome as could be.  i rate Jake’s Badlands stuff much higher than his Ozzy stuff, though.  i feel like that’s his true voice and contribution to the lexicon.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,828
    I prefer Randy's playing. His solos have a composed and melodic quality which makes them more memorable to me. Jake's solos have lots of flash, but I just can't remember a single one as I'm typing, whereas I find it easy to "hear in my head" the solo of Diary, Revelations, Flying High Again or Mr Crowley. 

As for the albums...   give me Diary, add 4 songs off Blizzard (you can guess which ones) and that's all I'll ever need of Ozzy's solo output. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,933
    edited March 2018

I rate Mr. Crowley, BATM, Rock 'N Roll Rebel, Never, Killer of Giants, (off topic) No More Tears, and Flying High Again as perhaps the greatest lead guitar moments in Ozzy's repetoire (that aren't Black Sabbath).

And, resent me all you want, but I still love Warning, War Pigs, and the Heaven and Hell solo from Live Evil more (ducks). Sorry, but those are the ones that I lovingly learned every note and nuance of when I first started playing.

But again, off topic with apologies.

I should mention...I don't feel the dislike for Randy's tone, I remember back in the early 80s it tore my head off and still does. I love the double and triple tracking...I thought he sounded (and sounds) GREAT. Jake had a darker tone, and in a way (perhaps in part due to the less tracking and more improvisational nature of Jake's sound) at times more personal. Randy really sounded expressive with the acoustic guitar, as Diary of the Madman and Dee amply proved, but Jake...listen to that solo to Never and tell  me there isn't all kinds of hungover, rock 'n roll emotion there.

• VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,917
    I'm with Sancho here, Jake has always been my man for Ozzy, and I love the two albums he did, the production/guitar tone on BATM may not be the best help,  but I can put up with that, and I loved Ultimate sin, Jake man through and through.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Jakes live solo spots were incredible and fun to watch. 
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,619
    I heard the Jake material before the Randy albums, and Jake's playing was a step up in terms of aggression and originality compared to what I'd heard before, so I will always rate his guitarwork on a par with Randy's, although I totally get why Randy gets so many plaudits. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,522
    I'm a Jake E Lee guy as well. I thought his playing was just as impressive as Randy's. I heard some of the Randy stuff on the radio before Jake was in the band and I liked it but obviously that was before I played guitar.....so to my untrained ears Randy sounded like Eddie Van Halen to me. I bought 'Bark At the Moon' when it came out and I was pretty taken with Jake's playing. His solos were so memorable and exciting to me. He had fire. I also loved the 'Bark At the Moon' album and to this day is still my favorite Ozzy record...with Diary being a close second. BATM had the songs in my opinion...."You're No Different", "Waiting For Darkness", "Rock N Roll Rebel", "Now You See It.." and the title track are great songs and classics in my opinion. I also love 'The Ultimate Sin'....another great record with great songs, riffs and guitar work. That album gets a bad rap....I love it

I am also a huge Badlands fan, and I have to applaud Jake for going in that direction. That took guts....because that type of heavy rock was not the flavor of the day

I like Randy and appreciate him a lot....but for me Jake will always be the best Ozzy guitarist
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,240
    Strictly guitar-wise, yes, Jake's playing stands up to Randy's or anybody else's.

In my opinion, the two Jake albums were not as impactful as the two Randy albums. Blizzard knocked everybody on their asses and set a new standard. Jake and many other 80s players met that standard but didn't surpass it.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
    edited March 2018
    Strictly guitar-wise, yes, Jake's playing stands up to Randy's or anybody else's.

In my opinion, the two Jake albums were not as impactful as the two Randy albums. Blizzard knocked everybody on their asses and set a new standard. Jake and many other 80s players met that standard but didn't surpass it.

They probably weren't as impactful. In fact, it wasn't until I heard "Never" that I really felt was Jake was about, and then went back and fell in love with his playing on BATM as well as US.

It's tough for me to make a choice between the two, however the only solos I learned from Jake were Never and Rock 'n Roll Rebel...I learned about half the songs released overall by Ozzy and Randy. That tells me something.

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,240
    edited March 2018
    I remember learning "Killer of Giants" and then playing the intro while shopping for a delay pedal. Fun times!
    Post edited by cvansickle on
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,016
    From a guitar standpoint they are pretty equal in my mind. Personally I find Randy's solos easier to learn/play than Jake's, but maybe that's just me. Randy was first, I totally get that. Hard to follow that anyway you put it.

As far as songwriting goes except for a couple exceptions (Bark at the Moon, Killer of Giants) I find Randy's songs more memorable.
    edited March 2018
    I remember learning "Killer of Giants" and then playing the intro while shopping for a delay pedal. Fun times!

Oh man, I LOVE that song and solo. It seems sad yet somehow defiant. Beautiful, one of the best in Ozzy's catalogue imo.

That album kept me hopeful on cold nights on the street, curled up with my old guitar case on a sidewalk. That's one of the reasons why it's such a favorite of mine (whereas most people don't even consider US a good album). Same with Sacred Heart...it helped me by coming out at a horrible time in my life. That title track....