New Schenker song "Heart and Soul".

Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,067
edited February 9 in Video Clips

Second song off the upcoming Schenker Fest album.  Thank you, I'll pass. 
Post edited by Seven Moons on

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,425

Is that Robin on vocals? I like the vocals. But the main riff sounds bizarrely like 80s Malmsteen to me...not sure why Michael would go that route. And that chorus...pass is a kind word.

I still remember the glory days, when Michael actually constructed his solos. Oh well. Maybe there's a Bonnet track or two?

To think, I put aside Gershwin for this. Oh well, I tried.

• Wow. That goes nowhere.  And reminds me that I never liked Robin McCauley's voice. It kind of grates.

That said, I bought a ticket to see them on March 10th. I think seeing the old stuff live with the original singers will be fun.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,321
    Not one of Schenkers better songs. McCauley sounds good on this......but yeah the music never really changes and kind of goes nowhere. Does not turn me off from buying the album because I am confident it will be good. The song is not bad....just not great.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,873
    Wow. That goes nowhere.  And reminds me that I never liked Robin McCauley's voice. It kind of grates.

That said, I bought a ticket to see them on March 10th. I think seeing the old stuff live with the original singers will be fun.
    Major gig!
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,165
    What's the difference between the verse and the chorus riffs here? McauleyM has very little to work with here.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,765
    Doesn't bug me at all, I have the new CD on pre-order & looking forward to it.Overall, I'm just tickled that the Blond Bomber seems to have more or less resurrected his career & seems to be in a better place than was he was, say 10 or 15 years ago.Playing wise, he still delivers, even if it's not with the same style or inspiration; I get people's gripes about his more improv solo style these days but it's just a moot point to me.....he still delivers live, plays the important stuff note-for-note & if he feels like just throwing it out there with total abandon lead wise, who am I to complain? I'd still rather hear him than 99% of what passes for rock guitar these days. He still plays with enthusiasm, & apparently has no problem cranking out good material every two years or so for about the last 35 yrs straight....so hey, hats off. I understand not everyone will agree but at least he's survived & is still doing it up like a rock champ! 

I have tickets to see him later next month, the whole Michael Schenker Fest thing, it'll be my 1st time seeing Bonnet & I'm fucking stoked! Going by the clips alone, he's lost nothing & all those singers put together pale in comparison....damn he sounds great corny song notwithstanding..... 

Another thing, I love Schenker's modern day tone as much as his classic UFO & MSG guitar tones.... he sounds great these days!!
  • He's trading solos with Kirk Hammett here...draw your own conclusions if you mistook Hammett for Schenker ;)
    I like McCauley's voice here, but the verse is the same as the chorus...which are both bone stock rhythms....smh
    If Bonnet's tunes are as good as the track he sang on Tales of Rock N Roll that would be great.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,463
    Hmmm - not keen on that at all. Obviously, I love ol'Mikey, I'd be on the wrong website otherwise, but this sounds lifeless and uninspiring. And Haff's right with that '80s Malmsteen analogy.
    The solos sound like they're fillers, before the final versions were recorded and the whole track is mastered properly.
    In that way, it reminds me of that bloody awful last Iron Maiden album.
    Then again, it could be my crappy computer speakers, or my crappy ears....
  • OskyOsky Posts: 855
    Well I won't be rushing out to buy this either that's for sure  :/
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,339
    That was awful...
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 824
    I liked Warrior a whole lot better. I tend to hate that type of rhythm guitar (eternally pedaling the E) these days anyway.
    "He's trading solos with Kirk Hammett here...draw your own conclusions if you mistook Hammett for Schenker "
    yeah, I saw that but I was just referring to his rhythm guitar tones these days, I see he has a Tubescreamer on his board....wonder if he ever uses it? I know in the past he's never used OD's or distortions for the most part.....it just seems he gets a more modern tone out of his old 800's these days.....
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 399
    edited February 12
    Stitsel said:
    "He's trading solos with Kirk Hammett here...draw your own conclusions if you mistook Hammett for Schenker "
    yeah, I saw that but I was just referring to his rhythm guitar tones these days, I see he has a Tubescreamer on his board....wonder if he ever uses it? I know in the past he's never used OD's or distortions for the most part.....it just seems he gets a more modern tone out of his old 800's these days.....
    It's funny you mention the Tubescreamer, I have a pic of his rig from a number of years back and he had a TS10 at one point.  I don't think it lasted long.  Ditto for the Boss RV-3 he used for live reverb in the 90s.  I think he might try something new every so often, decide that it doesn't work and then press on.  I thought higher output pickups were behind his more modern/bloomy tones, but it'd be nice to see when/if the tubescreamer gets used live.  I'm sure there'll be another live DVD after the Fest tour ends; maybe we'll see it in use then...  I'd love to see the current tour and especially Bonnet, but unless he comes to Bangkok I'm out of luck.
    Post edited by MelodicGrit on
    What's the metal and or Dino scene like in Bangkok? Any of those types of bands ever make it through there? 
  • I can think of 4-5 places that focus on classic/dino/old-school metal here; our genre is a tiny part of the overall music scene here which is huge.  There are hundreds of bars/pubs/hotels with live music and musicians everywhere, but most of what's played (for the locals) is Thai pop or Top 40 songs.  However, I have found that when I'm out and about I can randomly stumble upon a group playing some Dino music.  I went to lunch at a cafeteria recently and there was a band playing 80s metal ie Skid Row, Warrant, Quiet Riot, etc. DJs and dance music are big here.  The areas that foreigners hang out in, you can find bands playing mostly 80s-current pop/rock.  There are also a few decent blues/jazz places as well.  The scene I guess for both Dino and blues/jazz I'd describe as small but enthusiastic.  You're also likely to see Filipino bands playing alot of 80s music in the big beach area bars and hotels.  
    Filipinos are very partial to Air Supply and 70s/80s music, while Thais know the big international names but often prefer Thai music to ours.

Thailand laws are tough on foreign musicians.  You need to be able to produce a work permit for each and every time you play on a stage or potentially get slapped with a fine.  The Thai government's position is that even if you're getting up and jamming for free you could potentially be taking a job away from a Thai local.  From what I've heard from foreign musician friends, if anyone at all is disgruntled towards you in any way and they see you play live or know you're playing somewhere, they will alert the authorities and make life a hassle that night.  Most people if they do get a work permit, it's a contract for playing at one bar or hotel.  It's not worth the hassle to bounce around from place to place and get a different permit each time, it's just not done (legally).  Plus, you're getting paid peanuts to play usually anyway.  It wouldn't be a stretch to say that the angry foreign musician scene here is bigger than both the blues and metal scenes I mentioned above.  You either play with your friends and make sure you're not seen or heard in pubic or take your chances and play somewhere with the idea that the police could stop in and fine you at any (or every) time.  There are players I know that have contracts with a specific bar or hotel and they're content with it.  None of the above applies to Thai musicians, who can play where and when they want.  

I was disappointed to see the lack of bigger name groups that I know playing here.  When I lived in Korea near Seoul it seems like more big-name acts came through.  I even saw Lukather/Carlton play at a local university there. I've been in Bangkok for about 15 months now and saw Loudness and Robben Ford not long ago.  Other than that, pretty slim pickings for what Dinos might want to see.  I'm not sure if this is typical of every year or that 2017 was a sort of dry spell.  Your question had me checking to see if anything is coming up soon.  Well, Incubus is playing somewhere near me on Thursday....zzzzz.  Sorry for the rambling, this is a topic that comes up frequently here so I could go on all day.