Sonny Landreth @ The New Orleans Jazz Museum

I saw Sonny perform on one of Eric Clapton's CROSSROADS Festival videos a few years ago and became an immediate fan . 

Most slide players stick to the basic formula . I love down and dirty slide playin' in the style of Duane Allman's Statesboro Blues or Johnny Winter and especially Billy Gibbons . To my ears Billy achieves perfection on Just Got Paid . 

What Sonny does breaks all the rules and goes so far off the charts I believed it was studio " magic " . How could anybody get all that sound with a strat ? Everybody else plays a Gibson .

Sonny has released a double live album which was nominated for a Grammy . One acoustic set and one electric  . He followed the same protocol for this concert . The first set was entirely acoustic swamp blues set on a resonator guitar with bass and percussion . After a short break he broke out the strat and woke everybody up with some serious foot stomping . 

He produced some mind blowing guitar tones . I was stunned by the amount of distortion he was able to control and the variety of harmonics effortlessly summoned from the pit of volcanic distortion that was bubbling from his amp . 

Somehow he is able to fret notes BEHIND the slide . I have no idea how that happens but the result creates possibilities that only he understands . I felt like I was hearing the guitar for the first time . His playing is at another level both technically and harmonically .

It was truly a memorable experience hearing guitar music on a new frontier . Its hard to find somebody pushing the limits of what a guitar is supposed to sound like while still being able to stomp your feet to primal gut bucket Rock-n-Roll  . 

I didn't come home wanting to cop any Sonny Landreth licks . There is just no point .  

Comments

• jebbudda said:
    I saw Sonny perform on one of Eric Clapton's CROSSROADS Festival videos a few years ago and became an immediate fan . 

Most slide players stick to the basic formula . I love down and dirty slide playin' in the style of Duane Allman's Statesboro Blues or Johnny Winter and especially Billy Gibbons . To my ears Billy achieves perfection on Just Got Paid . 

What Sonny does breaks all the rules and goes so far off the charts I believed it was studio " magic " . How could anybody get all that sound with a strat ? Everybody else plays a Gibson .

Sonny has released a double live album which was nominated for a Grammy . One acoustic set and one electric  . He followed the same protocol for this concert . The first set was entirely acoustic swamp blues set on a resonator guitar with bass and percussion . After a short break he broke out the strat and woke everybody up with some serious foot stomping . 

He produced some mind blowing guitar tones . I was stunned by the amount of distortion he was able to control and the variety of harmonics effortlessly summoned from the pit of volcanic distortion that was bubbling from his amp . 

Somehow he is able to fret notes BEHIND the slide . I have no idea how that happens but the result creates possibilities that only he understands . I felt like I was hearing the guitar for the first time . His playing is at another level both technically and harmonically .

It was truly a memorable experience hearing guitar music on a new frontier . Its hard to find somebody pushing the limits of what a guitar is supposed to sound like while still being able to stomp your feet to primal gut bucket Rock-n-Roll  . 

I didn't come home wanting to cop any Sonny Landreth licks . There is just no point .  
    a band i was in opened for him at a Shrimp and Peroleum festival in the ‘90s, right after he released South of I-10.  i had no idea what i was in for. he reminds me of Ricky Skaggs, but with music from the planet Saturn or some shit.
  • he plays with a SUPER high action and very large frets, which allows him to fret behind the slide.  knowing his technique is one thing, knowing his mind is another..  lol
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 782
    edited January 15
    he also used to daisy chain compressors and gate the FUCK out of his amps, but i’ve also heard him play dobro, and he sounds just like Sonny Landreth, so there you go.
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,873
    And a mini-slide (half the usual long, I think).

It's a very good player AND musician (not always both things in same person).
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,321
    Sonny used to come into the Guitar Center in New Orleans every now and then. I remember helping him out with some amps or something in one of the rooms. This was probably around 2001....he had a Les Paul with a crazy looking bridge. I asked him about it and he handed the guitar to me and showed me what it was. The side of the guitar had a module with selector buttons and a digital screen that allowed you to choose the tuning. When you did that the bridge adjusted the tuning for you. He told me he had sent the guitar out to a guy in Colorado to install that mod. He told me it was something over 5k to get installed. I thought it was pretty cool at the time and I think Sonny was proud of it...lol. I bet he was a little irked when Gibson came out with the Robot guitars and then the G-Force tuners for a fraction of the price. 

Sonny is a hell of a player for sure....and if anyone could use a guitar with multiple tuning options it is him.
  • Jimmy Page had the same thing on one of his LPs in the Coverdale/Page era, if i recall correctly.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 782
    edited January 18
    it used to be called transperformance or some shit, but i’m pretty sure this is it:   http://axcenttuning.com/
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,321
    it used to be called transperformance or some shit, but i’m pretty sure this is it:   http://axcenttuning.com/
    Yep....that's it....I forgot that the keypad interface was on the top of the guitar and the digital readout was on the side....but that is exactly the same system Sonny had. I am surprised they are still making them.