Sykes website.....

DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,577
edited January 1 in Current News

John Sykes

The Official Website of Guitarist John Sykes

Undergoing reconstruction. Please check back soon….

Hoping this means some good news coming about the long overdue album.....

This epic cut from the new album is great! "Standing  At The Gates Of Hell"

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=john sykes standing at the gates of hell

Post edited by Donthegreek on

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,262
    It's now 2018.
    Sykes hasn't released new music since 2000.  Lets see if we're at the same point on 1/1/2019. We're coming up on a generation or a score.  As in, it's almost been a generation since the last Sykes album. Babies born then are going off to college or work.  Until then, it might as well be John Lennon's or J.S. Bach's website. They've been just as prolific over the same period.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • It's now 2018.
    Sykes hasn't released new music since 2000.  Lets see if we're at the same point on 1/1/2019. We're coming up on a generation or a score.  As in, it's almost been a generation since the last Sykes album. Babies born then are going off to college or work.  Until then, it might as well be John Lennon's or J.S. Bach's website. They've been just as prolific over the same period.
    lolz.  funny shit.  happy new year Dave
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,447
    Should we start the "Sykes Award" for any artist that can't seem to get off their ass and work? Or maybe refer to them as having JSD?
  • Duojett71 said:
    Should we start the "Sykes Award" for any artist that can't seem to get off their ass and work? Or maybe refer to them as having JSD?
    fuck you.  i resemble that remark
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,943
    Duojett71 said:
    If collaborations on somebody's album banns you from JSD, I'm clean from that illness.
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 424
    Duojett71 said:
    I find Sykes' lack of releases both curious and frustrating; it'd be great to get his perspective on the reason for the long wait.  Others with a similar lack of new output this century:  Frank Marino and James Byrd.  
    I find Sykes' lack of releases both curious and frustrating; it'd be great to get his perspective on the reason for the long wait.  Others with a similar lack of new output this century:  Frank Marino and James Byrd.  
    Sykes can apparently live quite comfortably off his royalties without ever picking up a guitar again. And if that's what he chooses to do, fair enough.  But there have been way too many teases along the way. 

Apparently he's sitting on a finished album.  My guess is he's shopping for the perfect deal, and as he's never been willing to financially bend over and take it (can't fault him for that -- that's why he doesn't have to work), finding the right label/deal could take a while.  OTOH, in this day and age, I don't know why he's bothering. He could release it himself, cut out the middleman, sell it off his site in both digital and CD formats and keep the lion share of the profits. The overhead would be minimal (zero on digital). He'll probably sell less than 50K total.  That is if it ever comes out.
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,927

Apparently he's sitting on a finished album.  My guess is he's shopping for the perfect deal, and as he's never been willing to financially bend over and take it (can't fault him for that -- that's why he doesn't have to work), finding the right label/deal could take a while.  OTOH, in this day and age, I don't know why he's bothering. He could release it himself, cut out the middleman, sell it off his site in both digital and CD formats and keep the lion share of the profits. The overhead would be minimal (zero on digital). He'll probably sell less than 50K total.  That is if it ever comes out.
    Well, if he thinks he can still get a record deal reminiscent to the kind of deals artist were making last time he released a record we won't see that album coming out anytime soon...
    He wasn't exactly a household name to begin with, and he's been away a lonnnnng time.
  • i like your “why bother” point.  he’s already done everything any guitarist could dream to do.  Whitesnake were as big in their heyday as GnR or Metallica.  maybe not in America, but who gives a shit?  screw putting out new music!  stay at the estate.  eat gourmet food.  drink piles of expensive booze.  bang premium hookers.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,577

(Well, if he thinks he can still get a record deal reminiscent to the kind of deals artist were making last time he released a record we won't see that album coming out anytime soon...)

I believe that's part of the issue...the musical climate has changed big time... But he does have a complete album done. So why not release it? Dave mentioned some good ways to do it. (even Ozzy is trying to decide weather to release a complete lp or just singles).

• pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,598
    Jimmy Page would be a candidate for JSD as well. When was the last new material from him? 1998? Other than Zeppelin material, the O2 show, and a handful of guest appearances, he seems content to sit back and accept awards. He keeps saying year after year that he is going to release a new album this year, but never does. I would imagine that with his reputation alone, record companies would be lining up to distribute anything he chooses to do.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

i like your “why bother” point.  he’s already done everything any guitarist could dream to do.  Whitesnake were as big in their heyday as GnR or Metallica.  maybe not in America, but who gives a shit?  screw putting out new music!  stay at the estate.  eat gourmet food.  drink piles of expensive booze.  bang premium hookers.
    Only because he's artist/creative person who may still have the itch -- no matter how slight -- to make music -- for the artistic sake, not because he's gonna make a lot off it.  And FWIW, he was already out of WS when they got that big off his songs and playing. He made a ton of money, but got very little publicity or notoriety from it.  That had to hurt.
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 424
    edited January 3
    Sykes can apparently live quite comfortably off his royalties without ever picking up a guitar again. And if that's what he chooses to do, fair enough.  But there have been way too many teases along the way. 

MelodicGrit said:  I can understand if Dino-style players don't release new music in today's climate.  What's the incentive?  On the other hand, instead of putting out teasers of tracks and saying "new release in 2015!, 2016!, 2017!, etc.."  with nothing actually coming out it might be better to get real and say "look, we've got some tracks or an album done but we're looking for a deal"  and update it periodically or just release it on the website as Dave suggests.  Sykes in particular is notorious for putting out the bare minimum of information on anything. You could check his website once a year and be up-to-date.  If an artist is retired and/or not working on new music, so be it.  Or if they're working slowly on a project (Frank Marino), great so be it.  For me personally I get sour on the credibility of artists like Sykes and Jimmy Page when they periodically and consistently tell the public that they're working on new output that'll be released "soon" and it's obviously BS.  Sometimes silence or "nothing in the works" is the best/right answer.  Plus, guys like Trower and Schenker are putting out (mostly) quality releases almost every year.
    Post edited by MelodicGrit on
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,350
    He'll be lucky to sell 5000, not 50000...