From time to time, you must watch VH Live Without a Net.

Eddie at his best playing, Sammy hungry, needed to convice die hard DLR fans, 5150 excelent songs and some classics.

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,300

It's a great show imo. Overall Van Hagar was definitely not as good as the Roth VH, but I'm one of the minority whom think that several of the songs on 5150 met that high standard, and three or four songs after that album as well.

Edward's sound wasn't the same, but when I hear Get Up and Dreams I hear a lead guitarist still at his peak.

Yes the Van Hagar/Joe Dirt crowd will look down on me but I don't care. Dreams and the Seventh Seal alone validate the collaboration. I think they're terrific songs, love them very much.

• eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,808
    I like both eras.
    OU812 has good songs, even being a sub-standard album.
    FUCK is very good, as 5150 is.

Balance is not in my memory. Erased; Cherenne's as well.

• Can't really argue with Van Hagar at all. I don't listen to that stuff very often, but when I do I really enjoy it. I even enjoy Balance, which seems to be an unpopular choice.

Never bothered with the Cherone stuff...

Balance for me was mostly Seventh Seal, and I must confess it is a pretty easy album to listen to overall. Just not a very good one. But I felt that same way about the overwhelming majority of Vah Hagar; even though I like at least one song off of each of the Hagar albums, I haven't owned any besides 5150 in something like thirteen years.

That's why it's true, the Hagar era overall wasn't exactly a great band (though I thought they sounded great that first year and had tons of potential). But the strong songs I love. And I can't deny them. I feel them deeply.

edited November 14
    I like both eras.
    OU812 has good songs, even being a sub-standard album.
    FUCK is very good, as 5150 is.

Balance is not in my memory. Erased; Cherenne's as well.

Eduard...you might want to give Balance another try sometime. You might find it's a little better than you remembered.

I'm actually surprised there isn't more love for Seventh Seal here; that HUGE, epic, dumb riff (the kind we Dinos typically love), Hagar's gut-munching high vocals over a pretty cool (though self-referential) verse riff. I love that song.

The only thing that I thought was really weak (almost sad) on Balance was I Can't Stop whatever. It's like the worse of their sell out tracks; everything I hate about commercial VH from any era is summed up in that song...and I side with Beavis and Butthead in regard to the video. Edward MUST have known how comic bookedly clichéd that song was, yet he gave it the go ahead. I blame him for that offal.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • I agree with Seventh Seal. I will never forget the first time I heard it, in the radio when the album was first released. It made a huge impact, because for years I would play that riff without even remembering where I had heard it. That's proof right there on how effective it is. I am listening to it right now, in fact... ;)

It's got that big-dumb-riff-with-an-epic-sound appeal to it. And it's fun for me to listen to Sammy get a bit...I  dunno, different with the lyrics.

Somewhat along those lines, I noticed way back during Sammy's solo career that his vocals are typically great enough to forestall anyone even noticing the lyrics much, so it's "all good" as the kids say (or wait, that might be old now, who keeps up?).

• bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 594
    edited November 15
    damn.  Balance is easily my favorite Van Hagar.  FUCK a distant second
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 747
    Crossing Over should have been on Side 2 of Balance in the USA. 

I've had my complaints about the Sammy era vs. Dave era, but when VH was active with Sammy, I was a big fan and still bought the albums...I just didn't think they were as good or fun as the Dave ones. 
  • you really gotta give them credit.  they withstood the loss of one of the best frontmen in rock, and evolved into another, far more complex act.  Van Halen really didn’t crash until VHIII
  • i saw the 5150 tour.  i remember thinking Sammy was s lot better guitarist with Ed pushing him on.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 842
    TravisW said:
    when VH was active with Sammy, I was a big fan and still bought the albums...I just didn't think they were as good or fun as the Dave ones. 
    THIS!

...and like bourbonsamurai I rate Balance highly too....nowhere near as good but its kinda like the Fair Warning of the Sammy era with its darker vibe.

I have LWAN, its OK but I hardly ever watch it. For me Eddie's playing peaked way before 1986. probably 5 years earlier... I like the Dave era material much more than most of the Sammy stuff anyway so my most inspirational video footage would be the Fresno 78/79 8mm films (even though the quality is awful), the 3 official 1981 live promos, Largo 1982 and Sao Paulo 83.