DRG Patreon page for automatic, monthly security cost donations. Info and Instructions. PLEASE READ

If you read the thread I posted yesterday, you now know that DRG was hacked, and increased security is going to run $100 per month.

As such, I am asking for the members here to contribute to offsetting that expense. For what it's worth, I am sorry it has come to this.

As always, you will be able to make Paypal donations when there are donation drives for site hosting and domain renewal costs. And as-needed donation drives are probably still the best way to handle those comparatively infrequent costs.  

However, as the security costs are now monthly and significant, I have also set up a Patreon account for those who would like to make a regular, automatic monthly contribution (via Paypay or card).  As always, you can donate as much/little as you want. 
The advantages to Patreon are as follows:
  • For you: It's basically auto-pay -- set-and-forget. Relatively painless. You can cancel at any time.
  • For me: It helps offset the cost in real-time, on a monthly basis -- as opposed to me paying up front out-of-pocket and getting reimbursed later. It gives me an amount I can rely on monthly. 
If the DRG regulars can each chip in a few bucks a month, we can likely offset these new costs. So if you're going to donate anyway, I encourage you to consider this method. 

Thank you.

INSTRUCTIONS
:

1. Go to https://www.patreon.com/dinosaurrockguitar
    The DRG Patreon page appears.

2. Please read the main post, then click BECOME A PATRON. The donations page appears. 

3. Click the $1.00+ per month option, and the amount field appears. Enter the amount you want to contribute monthly.
  4. Click Continue.  When prompted, create a Patreon account by email or by Facebook.  The payments page appears. 

5. Confirm the amount you're pledging in the Summary area. Ignore the Your reward section. It is not applicable and does NOT add the extra $1.00 to your donation. 
  6. Select your desired payment option: Paypay or card.
  7. Follow the remaining onscreen instructions. 

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.

Comments

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,128
    Just blew up tons of cash on my pooch's post accident care. I'll sign up next month for sure.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SirionSirion Posts: 2,875
    Just cancelled my NetFlix membership, which I really cannot justify based on how little I use it. Instead I pledged the same sum here, which I can justify based on how I have benefited from this page for almost 15 years now.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,808
    Done.
    Not a problem paying for something you alredy use a lot, and wich you're part of!
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,158
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    Thanks to all of you who have done this so far. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,199
    I will contribute when I can. Right now I am training for a career change and only working part time. I literally am living off credit cards. As soon as I go back to work full time during the Holidays I will be able to contribute.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,823
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand..... DONE!
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Mike_HMike_H Posts: 757
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    edited October 16
    We are already over halfway there in monthly pledges because 7 of you became patrons. (THANK YOU!)  

If another half-dozen or so of you sign up, we'll likely be set. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,300
    Done, Dave. I hope you'll let us know if you fall short so we can get together and help again.
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 594
    edited October 18
    done.  this site is great.  no other music forum has such a singular and coherent vision.  long live DRG
    Post edited by bourbonsamurai on
    edited October 18
    done.  this site is great.  no other music forum has such a singular and coherent vision.  long live DRG

I first started here back in late 2009, and even though I don't listen to anywhere near as much Dino music as I used to I still love it and like to talk about it.

To me this is the only good (as in not for kiddies/trolls) site on the internet for people like us, who love the music. It's definitely a site for grown ups of all ages, and that adds a lot to the charm.

Finally, I always feel like I'm coming home whenever I take a break from this forum and come back. Everyone is great here imo.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • This whole thing has really pissed me off.  I find it ridiculous and galling that through no fault of our own, this little close-knit community (we're only about 40 or so regulars) -- on a tiny site that doesn't bother anyone -- should now cost $1200 a year to keep running. When I got that news, I honestly thought: We're done.  Unless the guys step up like they never had to before, we're done. 

But once again, you regulars have stepped-up via Patreon to help keep us going. So I thank all of you who've already become Patrons.  A few more of you, and we'll be good. 
    This whole thing has really pissed me off.  I find it ridiculous and galling that through no fault of our own, this little close-knit community (we're only about 40 or so regulars) -- on a tiny site that doesn't bother anyone -- should now cost $1200 a year to keep running. When I got that news, I honestly thought: We're done.  Unless the guys step up like they never had to before, we're done. 

But once again, you regulars have stepped-up via Patreon to help keep us going. So I thank all of you who've already become Patrons.  A few more of you, and we'll be good. 

Like I said earlier, please don't hesitate if it looks like you might  not make your goal. I'm sure not just me but others will help you over the hurdle, Dave.

Step up, folks! Hard to beat being here! I can't imagine being without DRG...

actually I can imagine it and it sucks lol!