The Company band (sigh)

Comments

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    Wow - looks like a pretty cool setup for the gig! Overall, it looks like things came out better than it seemed in the beginning. 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,628
              You've got that freakin' "I'm a guitar god" look goin' on. Where did you come up with the cool jacket? Is it red, like most of the pictures, or orange , like a few of the pictures. I prefer the orange but that's just me.
              Are those sun glasses or just transitional lens reacting to the stage lighting?
              The young lady seems to be enjoying herself. When she looks at you is she seeing Jerry Garcia, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Wes Montgomery or Jerry Reed?

• StitselStitsel Posts: 2,042
    I give you props DDave just for manning up & doing this whole thing....& pretty much pulling it off even tho there were a few headaches along the way.....no biggie; you did it for the love of music & I think you succeeded. Really cool thread,I've been following it but really had nothing much to say.Interesting to hear your real-life experience vs your idea of what an ideal gig rig is; I  agree about the realization of a simpler rig.....I have lots of nice stuff but for jams with a few friends anymore I can't be bothered to bring along anything  anymore other  than my Marshall CODE combo which has everything built right in:tone/effects etc. all at the touch of a switch, it really is nice & I'm not a pro playing arenas or theaters or whatever so it works just fine. It has the volume required, so who cares anymore ya know....?  

Anyhow, really cool to hear your thing went well & glad you're getting out there & doing it!
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Sounds like a solid outing, and possibly a good appraisal and visibility within the org. You stick out like a sore thumb in the pics though, and that's not a bad thing - you should get the rest of your band to catch up with you on the stage look/act.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,707
    edited December 2017
    inmyhands said:
              You've got that freakin' "I'm a guitar god" look goin' on. 
    Hey, what's the point otherwise? ;)  I don't gig much. When I do get on stage with a guitar, I'm out to lop heads.  

inmyhands said:
    Where did you come up with the cool jacket? 
     Is it red, like most of the pictures, or orange , like a few of the pictures. I prefer the orange but that's just me.  Are those sun glasses or just transitional lens reacting to the stage lighting?
    The jacket is a crushed red velvet tuxedo jacket that I found in a vintage store several years ago. Aside from looking great on a stage, it also fits the "holiday theme" being red. The sunglasses are just cheap mirrored shades. 
    inmyhands said:
              The young lady seems to be enjoying herself. When she looks at you is she seeing Jerry Garcia, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Wes Montgomery or Jerry Reed?
    I can promise you with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY, she doesn't know who ANY of those people are. She 'd never heart Barracuda before. So she's probably seeing me as Marvin the Martian.  She's got that 5 year-old girl's voice that's all over pop radio these days.  She's never performed before. No PA gets enough volume out of her.  I told her the story of how and why Ann Wilson wrote Barracuda to try and get her to tap into her feminine anger. She doesn't have any. She seems to have never had a pissed-off day in her life. 

Stitsel said:
    I give you props DDave just for manning up & doing this whole thing....& pretty much pulling it off even tho there were a few headaches along the way.....no biggie; you did it for the love of music & I think you succeeded. 
     I'm not a pro playing arenas or theaters or whatever so it works just fine. It has the volume required, so who cares anymore ya know....?  

Thanks. I tried like hell NOT to care that much (I only learned one solo -- Barracuda -- the rest I totally improvised in the moment because that's all they deserved). But I am a musical perfectionist to a certain point. If I'm getting on stage with a guitar, I treat it professionally.  But every time I used the rented gear, I couldn't get a decent sound out of it.  It was only as we were getting towards the show that I realized that if I wanted a chance of sounding good, I better bust out my own gear that I know. 

The other thing is this set of songs had a very challenging dynamic spectrum of songs from very quiet to very loud, and everything in between. Playing this kind of musical range requires a LOT of sonic flexibility. And my FEINTS rig is pretty flexible in the context of "classic rock" but not flexible enough for this kind of gig.  A shitload of this gig, I had to have my volume knob on the guitar very low. Put another way, to do this kind of gig ideally requires a dedicated clean channel, and probably 3 gain stages.  I could probably get that out of the ATMA if I wanted to, but the Yamaha THR100HD seems tailor-made for this type of gig -- two configurable heads in one 9 lb box, with a lot of features that could make life easier -- like XLR outs (no micing necessary).

Sounds like a solid outing, and possibly a good appraisal and visibility within the org. 
    It definitely had the desired effect within the company.
    You stick out like a sore thumb in the pics though, and that's not a bad thing - you should get the rest of your band to catch up with you on the stage look/act.

Yeah. One of these things is not like the others. One of these things doesn't belong. The other girl singer looked great and knows what she's doing, but she's got more of an RnB look than Rock.

The rest couldn't catch up if they wanted to. Don't ask me what the guy in the checked shirt and wig was thinking. I have no clue.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • this RULES!  uh-huh-huh-huh
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    LOL that full band pic is incredible. =)
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Good for you, Dave; I'm pretty aware that the ok results of the gig are a major consecuence of you!

And, wellcome to the interesting world of "how carry a good, little and powerfull set-up".
    The bluguitar is very tempting.
  • Yeah. Either the Blug or the Yamaha.  The Yamaha actually appeals to me more in the sense that it's stereo, easier to configure, and (to me), looks easier to use. But man, the size and the weight of the Blug IS very appealing. 
    I still have to figure out if I want to do this again. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    The rest couldn't catch up if they wanted to. Don't ask me what the guy in the checked shirt and wig was thinking. I have no clue.
    He's being all retro 90s grunge mate. BECAUSE GRUNGE ROCKS!!! Or something...
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,435
    Sancho said:
    He's being all retro 90s grunge mate. BECAUSE GRUNGE ROCKS!!! Or something...
    My guess is the guy is trying to be campy and funny(and failing) to make up for his lack of ability....

Sounds like you pulled it off Dave. Well done. Seems like the gig would not have gone near as well had you not been involved. I am curious to see video of this...
  • Duojett71 said:
    My guess is the guy is trying to be campy and funny(and failing) to make up for his lack of ability....
    BINGO!!
  • Duojett71 said:
    He's actually a decent singer. Funny thing, he's gay, and for a gay man in NYC, he's failing at style.
  • Duojett71 said:
    He's actually a decent singer. Funny thing, he's gay, and for a gay man in NYC, he's failing at style.
    maybe he’s being “ironic”?