The Company band (sigh)

Comments

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    That sounds a lot better. It may not be gratifying, but hopefully it's fun. 
  • y’all should have a christmas party coming up soon..
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    edited December 2017
    y’all should have a christmas party coming up soon..
    Yep. Dec 13. We had a rehearsal Wednesday night. It was the first one where EVERYONE showed up. We didn't get better, regardless.  We have another tomorrow 12-5pm.  If we don't get better in that one, it isn't going to get any better.  A final one next Wedensday. A dry run for friends and family next Saturday.

One of my more frequent sayings in life is  it's gonna be what it's gonna be. Time for me to realize that and accept it. 

Final setlist is:
    20th Century Boy - T-Rex - and tit-simple warm up song. Our singer sounds more like Fred Schneider than Bolan
    Domino - Jessie J - pure pop-tart pop
    Already Gone - Eagles - ugh.
    Many the Miles - Sara Bareillies -  pure pop-tart pop by some chick who knows three piano chords.
    Electric Lady - Janelle Monae - just a boring, looping Bmin progression. I blaze a solo after the rap section.
    Bad Romance - Lady Gaga -- this is actually a good song compositionally, and slams with loud guitars
    Wicked Garden - Porcelain Throne Huggers (I'm putting a solo in it. Fuck that band).
    Barracuda - Heart - By far the best song we play and fun for me. Imagine it sung by a girl with a child's voice. :s

I pretty much play all the leads such as it is. And aside from Barracuda, I'm improvising all of them on the spot. That's how much I care. 

The strength of the band is 3 singers singing together -- the harmonies sound great. Provided they all show. The lead vox from the same 3 are a mixed bag. At least none of them have pitch problems.
    The biggest weakness is the drummer.  :s  weak on every aspect.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • i wish i’d heeded that advice in my 20s and 30s.  christ i put so much time and effort into bands and projects that were fucking HOPELESS.  bass players that could barely hold a bass, much less play one.  drummers that needed a click to count to four.  drummers that followed the bass player everywhere, even if it was straight off a cliff.  agents that skimmed 50% or more over what they earned.  Is est quis is est
    i wish i’d heeded that advice in my 20s and 30s.  christ i put so much time and effort into bands and projects that were fucking HOPELESS.  bass players that could barely hold a bass, much less play one.  drummers that needed a click to count to four.  drummers that followed the bass player everywhere, even if it was straight off a cliff.  agents that skimmed 50% or more over what they earned.  Is est quis is est
    That's a hard lesson to learn. Either the band is something you do while you're hanging out with friends who happen to play musical instruments, or you learn to gather people who are capable of playing well. The latter can potentially be the root of friendships, but the former rarely turns into the latter. 
  • TravisW said:
    i wish i’d heeded that advice in my 20s and 30s.  christ i put so much time and effort into bands and projects that were fucking HOPELESS.  bass players that could barely hold a bass, much less play one.  drummers that needed a click to count to four.  drummers that followed the bass player everywhere, even if it was straight off a cliff.  agents that skimmed 50% or more over what they earned.  Is est quis is est
    That's a hard lesson to learn. Either the band is something you do while you're hanging out with friends who happen to play musical instruments, or you learn to gather people who are capable of playing well. The latter can potentially be the root of friendships, but the former rarely turns into the latter. 
    i made the fundamental error of thinking i could make a living playing guitar.  it worked OK for about five years.  i played way too often and i made a shitload of money, but then the hate started to take hold..  lol  when i got burned out, i quit, sold all my shit except my vintage tele, and even that sat unplayed for FIVE years.  i was SO sick of music.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    y’all should have a christmas party coming up soon..
    Yep. Dec 13. We had a rehearsal Wednesday night. It was the first one where EVERYONE showed up. We didn't get better, regardless.  We have another tomorrow 12-5pm.  If we don't get better in that one, it isn't going to get any better.  A final one next Wedensday. A dry run for friends and family next Saturday.

One of my more frequent sayings in life is  it's gonna be what it's gonna be. Time for me to realize that and accept it. 

Final setlist is:
    20th Century Boy - T-Rex - and tit-simple warm up song. Our singer sounds more like Fred Schneider than Bolan
    Domino - Jessie J - pure pop-tart pop
    Already Gone - Eagles - ugh.
    Many the Miles - Sara Bareillies -  pure pop-tart pop by some chick who knows three piano chords.
    Electric Lady - Janelle Monae - just a boring, looping Bmin progression. I blaze a solo after the rap section.
    Bad Romance - Lady Gaga -- this is actually a good song compositionally, and slams with loud guitars
    Wicked Garden - Porcelain Throne Huggers (I'm putting a solo in it. Fuck that band).
    Barracuda - Heart - By far the best song we play and fun for me. Imagine it sung by a girl with a child's voice. :s

I pretty much play all the leads such as it is. And aside from Barracuda, I'm improvising all of them on the spot. That's how much I care. 

The strength of the band is 3 singers singing together -- the harmonies sound great. Provided they all show. The lead vox from the same 3 are a mixed bag. At least none of them have pitch problems.
    The biggest weakness is the drummer.  :s  weak on every aspect.

Any chance this will get recorded? I would like to hear your improvs and of course "Barracuda" is one of my favorite songs.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    Besides the classic rock stuff....what an odd set list. How old are some of these coworkers.....14? I have not heard of one of those pop songs. Any of them ever heard of Michael Jackson, Prince or the Red Hot Chili Peppers? You would think if they wanted to cover some pop music they would play stuff that most people over 30 would recognize.
  • Duojett71 said:
    Besides the classic rock stuff....what an odd set list. How old are some of these coworkers.....14? I have not heard of one of those pop songs. Any of them ever heard of Michael Jackson, Prince or the Red Hot Chili Peppers? You would think if they wanted to cover some pop music they would play stuff that most people over 30 would recognize.
    Yeah, well, the weird thing is they've done stuff like that in the past. I had to learn Black and White for the audition.  But this band does a completely new setlist for each party, with no songs as holdovers. Partially because the band is frequently different from one party to the next.  I'm gonna suggest that if the band stabilizes, we should retain some shit from one gig to the next. 

The way they do it, each singer gets to sing lead on two songs, and they frequently pick them themselves. Theoretically, we all get to pick one song.  Mine turned out to be 20th Century Boy -- NOT so much because it's a favorite song of mine, though I like it.  I suggested it because it's tit-simple, and I thought it was all they could handle musically, and the vocals fit our line-up -- i.e. weak lead vox, big harmony-backups. I had suggested several others. I WANTED to play SOMETHING from the Blue Van, but that will have to wait till next time.

BTW, the plus side of this whole thing is that it IS providing the social benefits that I was seeking when I got drafted. I'm bonding with these folks. The Saturday rehearsal was fun, though I doubt it did much to improve us as a band.  

Any chance this will get recorded? I would like to hear your improvs and of course "Barracuda" is one of my favorite songs.
    What are the chances a room full of tech folks have smartphones? If something surfaces that I'm not ashamed of, I'll post it.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • BytorBytor Posts: 1,595
    I never come in here.. Cool story  B)
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    edited December 2017
    Well, I walked out of rehearsal tonight 1/2 hour early. It was either that or I was gonna give the other guitarist a colonoscopy with his guitar.  One week before the gig, and he's still trying new shit. And we're still making the same mistakes we were making in week 2. And by we, I don't mean me. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • A set list on a party band need a 60% of classics, always the same, because people want it.
    Some Higway to Hell, Billy Jean, Barracuda, Ain't talk about love...

And some current hits or, better newclassics, like Adele's Rolling in the Deep, It's all about that bass.

No need for prog metal, but, at least, good songs, well played.
  • Well, I walked out of rehearsal tonight 1/2 hour early. It was either that or I was gonna give the other guitarist a colonoscopy with his guitar.  One week before the gig, and he's still trying new shit. And we're still making the same mistakes we were making in week 2. And by we, I don't mean me. 
    been there, done almost that...

Sorry to hear this. patience can only get you so far...
  • I have to agree, this is a very entertaining story! Best of luck Dave!  

I've been through a bit of this myself, sort of.  I'm not a hotshot guitarist by any means, but I've played with groups where some people just weren't cutting it.  Luckily, we didn't have a specific date set for a gig, although some of us did have mild ambitions to play live.  But because we didn't have the pressure of actually having been committed to playing live at a set date, I didn't mind our slow progress as a band.

As for playing music that I'm not a huge fan of : this is usually the case for me as I know very few people who are into anything that really rocks (in fact, my favorite jam ever was with the DRG peeps in Baltimore a few years ago).  Honestly though, as much as I'd like to play dino music or metal, I've been surprised with how much fun I've had playing other types of music.  Dave and a few others have mentioned this but playing out of your comfort zone just makes you a better musician, and you get to learn and appreciate elements of music you may not have been super aware of.  For this reason, if somebody expresses interest in jamming with me (no matter their musical taste) I'm usually curious to give it a shot.  I'm happy to play.
    Well, I walked out of rehearsal tonight 1/2 hour early. It was either that or I was gonna give the other guitarist a colonoscopy with his guitar.  One week before the gig, and he's still trying new shit. And we're still making the same mistakes we were making in week 2. And by we, I don't mean me. 
    That sucks. That has to be the most irritating thing, IMHO, of trying to play with other people. There's a certain mindset among some people that will lead to them screwing up something as dead simple as Wild Thing.