The Company band (sigh)

Comments

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    edited October 2017
    Is it wrong that I'm  picturing you kinda like Jack Black in School Of Rock=)
    Post edited by Snoogans on
  • Snoogans said:
    Is it wrong that I'm  picturing you kinda like Jack Black in School Of Rock=)
    Yeah. Those kids were prepared to play.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Osky said:
    Enough; quit.

Period.
    This! Sounds like a waste of time, respect to you for getting this far!
    Not that simple. I cannot quit without a backlash at work. This is a company-sponsored band. The company picks up the tab for the rehearsal space and gear rentals.  The members are people I have to work with professionally. So unlike a normal band, I can't just say adios.  I am stuck with this through the holiday party in December.  I can then bow out if nothing has improved by then.

What I can do is voice my frustration and state that I'm not learning any new songs until the band knows the current ones. And/or say I won't rehearse till they know them. Problem is, I'm already the glue here. 

Rock and a hard place... guess you've just gotta ride it out and make the best of a bad situation then
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    Dave, you gotta take over and call the shots at rehearsals. Be proactive. You are and have been a pro at this. And even if Amy can't participate in the performance, you could still bring her in as a consultant on one rehearsal.

The worst thing to do is exhibit a pissy attitude during rehearsal, because you'll experience a backlash from that at work too.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,596
    Osky said:
    Enough; quit.

Period.
    This! Sounds like a waste of time, respect to you for getting this far!
    Not that simple. I cannot quit without a backlash at work. This is a company-sponsored band. The company picks up the tab for the rehearsal space and gear rentals.  The members are people I have to work with professionally. So unlike a normal band, I can't just say adios.  I am stuck with this through the holiday party in December.  I can then bow out if nothing has improved by then.

What I can do is voice my frustration and state that I'm not learning any new songs until the band knows the current ones. And/or say I won't rehearse till they know them. Problem is, I'm already the glue here. 

Yeah, I know your frustration and situation (I'd been on that alredy).
    You have the time to plann some good excuse until January.
  • Dave, you gotta take over and call the shots at rehearsals. Be proactive. You are and have been a pro at this. And even if Amy can't participate in the performance, you could still bring her in as a consultant on one rehearsal.

The worst thing to do is exhibit a pissy attitude during rehearsal, because you'll experience a backlash from that at work too.
    Amy shouldn't be anywhere near this.  But you're right that it can't get unprofessional at a rehearsal. 
    I spoke to the leader yesterday. Told him I was frustrated. He agreed with me 100% and had the same issues.  He's gonna send another email (supposedly pointed), and I'm supposed to chime in on it to support him. But even as the leader, there's only so much he can do for the same reasons. 

I DID mention to him that I'm not learning any new songs till we know this batch. And I told him that if people continue to show up unprepared, I might just leave rehearsal and say: I'll be back when you know these songs well enough to play them. 

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • So as I mentioned in the last post, an email went around, where I -- as tactfully as possible -- pointed out my frustration with the lack of preparation and the wasting of time. Tactfully called out the main offenders. 

And whadda ya know? Things went better tonight. People were more serious.  The second guitarist was out of town, but the drummer was more prepared. We had all 3 vocalists and that was good.  We also worked harder on fewer songs, so they actually began to gel a bit.  The leader isn't very solid on bass yet, but he puts in the work, so he'll get there eventually, even if we have to keep him basic. 

A step in the right direction anyway.

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    That's a good step, from the sounds of it. Getting people to settle into working harder on fewer things is a big step. It's impossible to move beyond "hey, we started and ended at the same time" unless everybody digs in a bit. 
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,596
    In that context, people have to understand that Dave (or any other one) have limited time in life, and putting some of his time on that band has to be payed with satisfaction and good playing (because there's no money on it), and that requires work from everyone.

I suposse they never had a real musician like Dave on board. Now, it's time from them to learn things from someone who know how make things sounding!
  • I think they've had some better ones at times, and they bailed. And now I know why! LOL
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    Your current employer must be forking out some serious cash.

Seven figures at least.

Seasonal tickets to Broadway shows?

Best cubicle? :)
  • They fork out serious cash on the company events.  They're probably not spending all that much on the band. Rehearsal space is $80 for 2 hours, once a week.  And they don't pay us to play the company events. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    sadly, i know “professionals” in New Orleans that cannot be bothered to learn the tunes, either.  in 2005, i was hired into a band with another guitar player, who was a friend of mine.  he had been in the band for YEARS, had even PLAYED ON THE RECORD, yet did not know the changes or arrangements.  after my second gig, i asked the bandleader for a songlist.  he gave me a 26 song list, which i learned thoroughly in two weeks’ time.  by week three, the other guitar player was fired.  this type of shit is really all too common, though.
    That has Vandinther written all over it.....

Dave this is kind of playing out like a sitcom.....while I feel your pain....this thread has been very entertaining...
  • The band is actually coming together and getting better. It will never be great, but the dumpster fire is out.