The Company band (sigh)

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, but in various stages of preparation.  Honestly, at this point, it's a fucking train-wreck. Trying to get these idiots tight on tit-simple stupid shit will be a challenge. Let's put it this way -- the unprepared drummer who doesn't know the songs is complaining about my Dino tone. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
    I have played recently some music which is far from my favourite, but it was a chance to play a bunch of shows with some good friends, and in that context, I had a wonderful time. The playing of the music for people can be a lot of fun, and the other musicians I play with are both good friends, and talented, so we can play the material.
    From what you have desribed, you were willing to endure some buffoonery in order to make friends etc, which makes sense, but now you might want to consider, if you actually want to make friends with these people? Also, regardless of what songs you are playing, if they cannot play, any show will end in a big mess?
    Just my $0.02, and I do sympathize, I imagine it is very frustrating and no fun to be stuck just playing for yourself.
  • Yeah. I knew full well what I was walking in to.  It's no big deal, and it's not all bad. If it doesn't get better, I'll bow out after the holiday party before the summer party. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    Maybe Amy could make a guest appearance to sing Heart's Barracuda. She'd kill on that song.
  • I wish. Sadly you MUST be an employee. 
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    Wooow! This thread is very interesting. Sounds like A LOT of work - but maybe it can be sort of a fun project to whip it into shape! If you enjoy it - good for you! That's all that matters really :) 

I am not really regularly playing with other people at the moment (as The Gloria Story is having some kind of acoustic thing going which sort of sidelines me as a mere sideman) but I miss it and sort of half arsed (read: looking at  Craigslist and talking to people at the local rock clubs) are looking for some people to jam with. As stated here, doesn't necessarily has to be exact music I like to listen to myself - it could even be good for me to be pushed outside my comfort zone - but the people at least need to know their shit and be able to play properly. That ain't always the easiest to find tbh... 
  • Another crap rehearsal tonight.  I knew the new songs. No once else really did.  

Ya know, I don't really have too much of an issue with the players being at lesser skill levels -- in a situation like this, I expect that, and you work around or through it.  I have a BIG issue with them not being PREPARED. I fucking learned the songs -- crap songs I care NOTHING about. Learned them in like a half hour each, and ran them through a couple of times on my own. Took arrangement notes. 

The drummer can't hold a pocket and he doesn't know the songs. He's fudging his way through trying to learn them AT rehearsal. And these songs are TIT SIMPLE.  The other guitarist is a sales guy who's on the road a lot. He won't even be at the next few rehearsals.  He's a nice guy. I like him. But he can't hold down a rhythm or play lead. Tonight, among other things, I had to show him how to play an Ab/A power chord. He just noodles and likes to fuck with his pedals. He's the classic bedroom hack. He knows just enough guitar to be dangerous enough to fuck shit up.  

He's talking about which guitar he wants to play on Barracuda. I felt like saying: it doesn't matter what fucking guitar you play if you don't know it.  Barracuda is the most difficult song we're doing. And while it's not that hard, you can't fake your way through it. Most of what we're playing, you actually can. But Barracuda, you actually have to KNOW it. And the singer has to know it.  Right now, I'm the only one who knows it. Inside out. All the parts.  And because he's on the road a lot, I'm supposed to what? Learn a one-guitar arrangement AND a two guitar arrangement for each song?  

And the singers -- when they show up -- are still reading lyrics off cell phones. The bassist/leader of this hot mess is the best of the bunch, because while he's not naturally talented, he's at least made an effort to learn the songs, but I don't know what they hell he's hearing at rehearsals.  As soon as we get the very beginnings of starting to gel on something (but are nowhere near tight), he's like: Well that's one ready -- lets move on to the next.  And sadly, it's not ready. Not even close.

He and I are going to have a talk.  I'm gonna tell him: don't ask me to learn any more songs until the band knows these.  And if they don't know them at the next rehearsal, I'm leaving, and they can call me when they do.  I'll still play their stupid holiday show because I said I would. But I'm not going to put my time and energy into this when the rest of them aren't even doing the courtesy of learning the material. 

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    edited October 2017
    There are plenty of reasons to have difficulty playing a song, but very few reasons not to know at all how it goes. I've had those that I couldn't get to stick in my head, or those that defy my sense of how cues should be (We're Not Gonna Take It). But if you're the guy whose on the road a lot, you arguably have more time to listen to music than anybody else. 
    Post edited by TravisW on
  • I learned TWO songs between Saturday and Wednesday evening I had NEVER HEARD BEFORE.

Lady Gaga: Bad Romance (not bad if you Dino up the guitars)
    Jesse J: Domino (pure, mandatory, Uber-driver modern pop crap)

Neither has ANYTHING difficult in them playing-wise. You just have to fucking care enough to learn the arrangement. For me, that means I write it out in a notebook, then follow the notes with the track a few times. 

It's not like we're trying to learn Heart of the Sunrise by Yes.  These clowns are having a hard time getting tight on T-Rex's 20th Century Boy. It doesn't get much easier than that. 

• This sounds like a big pain in the ass... I feel your pain. God know I would have bailed long before it got to this...
  • sadly, i know “professionals” in New Orleans that cannot be bothered to learn the tunes, either.  in 2005, i was hired into a band with another guitar player, who was a friend of mine.  he had been in the band for YEARS, had even PLAYED ON THE RECORD, yet did not know the changes or arrangements.  after my second gig, i asked the bandleader for a songlist.  he gave me a 26 song list, which i learned thoroughly in two weeks’ time.  by week three, the other guitar player was fired.  this type of shit is really all too common, though.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,596
    Enough; quit.

Period.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,596
    sadly, i know “professionals” in New Orleans that cannot be bothered to learn the tunes, either.  in 2005, i was hired into a band with another guitar player, who was a friend of mine.  he had been in the band for YEARS, had even PLAYED ON THE RECORD, yet did not know the changes or arrangements.  after my second gig, i asked the bandleader for a songlist.  he gave me a 26 song list, which i learned thoroughly in two weeks’ time.  by week three, the other guitar player was fired.  this type of shit is really all too common, though.

Amen.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Enough; quit.

Period.
    This! Sounds like a waste of time, respect to you for getting this far!
  • Osky said:
    Enough; quit.

Period.
    This! Sounds like a waste of time, respect to you for getting this far!
    Not that simple. I cannot quit without a backlash at work. This is a company-sponsored band. The company picks up the tab for the rehearsal space and gear rentals.  The members are people I have to work with professionally. So unlike a normal band, I can't just say adios.  I am stuck with this through the holiday party in December.  I can then bow out if nothing has improved by then.

What I can do is voice my frustration and state that I'm not learning any new songs until the band knows the current ones. And/or say I won't rehearse till they know them. Problem is, I'm already the glue here.