The Company band (sigh)

Comments

• VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,897
    No, I say walk away, I could not, have not, never have been in a band that has played music I don't like, I have no doubt that you of all people could make it into something, but if it was me, NO. However I respect you for giving to a go.
  • No, I say walk away, I could not, have not, never have been in a band that has played music I don't like, I have no doubt that you of all people could make it into something, but if it was me, NO. However I respect you for giving to a go.
    I see your point, Andy, but this isn't that serious. The songs they do, they seem open to interpretation, like put a wailing solo in a pop tune. 

Besides, I'm doing it primarily to meet new people and expand my social life. Otherwise, I'm doing NO playing other than practicing for my own improvement.  I'm not going to join another original band or commit to a gigging cover band. I'm not going to pay to rehearse. This is low-hanging fruit.

In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I would never be in a band with the drones from work.
    Much like  Andy, I also refuse to play music I don't care for.
  • Sancho said:
    Much like  Andy, I also refuse to play music I don't care for.
    Really, Sancho? I would have thought you'd have been the first in line to play Michael Jackson songs. 
     :p 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
    Without offering any opinion on the band I like to offer an opinion on the situation. Those who love to play will often play for no reason other than the offered opportunity. Those who love to play don't set boundaries based on material or venue or whatever. Those who love to play ..... play.  They're happy for it. They enjoy it. It feels right.

I'm good with that.
  • inmyhands said:
    Without offering any opinion on the band I like to offer an opinion on the situation. Those who love to play will often play for no reason other than the offered opportunity. Those who love to play don't set boundaries based on material or venue or whatever. Those who love to play ..... play.  They're happy for it. They enjoy it. It feels right.

I'm good with that.
    i agree with this.  in my career, if i only played what i wanted to play, i’d have never left my bedroom.  i think, as a player, it is important to recognize that growth comes with a certain amount of uncomfortability, and isn’t always initially desirable.
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    Wow! 
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,830
    edited October 2017
    Well here's an update:

The problem-guy, horn-player, Dimitri, has opted-out.  This, by all accounts, is good news headache-wise.  I am relieved by that.   So at the moment, as it stands, we have a so-so drummer, an adequate bassist (the leader), me, and another guy on guitar who I haven't seen play yet, but they way they're talking, I seem to be the "lead guitarist," or at least the primary one.  The leader/bassist sings some lead, another guy sings some lead. We also have at least two women who both sing lead.  None of the guys are Bruce Dickinson, and none of the women are rockers, but for middle of the road stuff, the band should have it covered vocally.  There was a young keyboard player who showed up at the audition. He was competent enough for basic work, but he was so timid, he opted out.  Not sure if we're going to try and talk him into staying.

We are voting on what songs to play this season, and we are not playing ANY of the four I learned for the audition. Which seems like kind of a waste, but as I mentioned, if they once knew them, they had mostly forgotten them by the time I auditioned. 

So where we are now is it's basically a brand new band, and we have maybe 6 scheduled rehearsals (there will likely be a few more thrown in) to come up with like a 30 minute set for the December party.  

The voting -- which has been low- turnout -- dictated we play

Heart -Barracuda -- because guys always make chicks sing this song -- I think it's a law.  Which is fine, it's a great song, fun to play and it rocks.  First time I ever actually sat and learned it beyond the intro, and memory.  Ha.

Eagles - Already Gone -- I hate the Eagles, but this is tit-simple. 

T-Rex - 20th Century Boy -- I nominated and am pushing this one.  Tit-simple, crowd pleaser, easy lead vocals, good background vox for the women.

The Blue Van - There Goes My Love -- another one I nominated and am pushing for similar reasons. Easy, hi-energy, great for parties.  

Janelle Monae - Electric Lady -- this "modern R&B" nonsense isn't even a song.  It's just a descending B minor progression that loops endlessly.  The kind of shit Uber drivers listen to. Our African American female singer wants to do it.  It has no real guitar parts, though I could wank over the progression endlessly. The only thing holding it together is a bass line.  We'll have to arrange it for guitars and drums. My guess is I'll play lead fills around the vocals and wail an outro solo. 

Last night we had the "kickoff rehearsal," and the drummer and the main male vocalist bailed.  Not a great sign.  I thought we were toast, but we worked on tracks playing along to the originals we piped through the PA.  It sure wasn't ideal, but it kept it from being a total bust. It also helped me push the songs I think are best.

Stay tuned. 

And oh yeah, there's a good chance we'll do Enter Sandman
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,952
    edited October 2017

And oh yeah, there's a good chance we'll do Enter Sandman
    Now I know for sure I would bail... :p
    Post edited by Tatosh Guitar on
  • You know, I've NOT been the guy pushing "heavy." I'm the guy pushing easy.   My company does EXPENSIVE holiday parties, and I can't see playing metal for them unless it's very "mainstream." Which Sandman is.  Hell, I don't mind playing Sandman.  Thus far, I don't mind any of this stuff that much.  Even the Eagles thing is so simple, it's not like I sweated over it. 3 Chuck Berry chords and a solo.  BFD. I literally learned that in 5 minutes. 

I'll say this -- playing in styles other than Dino and Metal makes you learn shit you wouldn't always encounter, and makes it a better-rounded player.  And that's one of my goals here. 

• You know, I've NOT been the guy pushing "heavy." I'm the guy pushing easy.   My company does EXPENSIVE holiday parties, and I can't see playing metal for them unless it's very "mainstream." Which Sandman is.  Hell, I don't mind playing Sandman.  Thus far, I don't mind any of this stuff that much.  Even the Eagles thing is so simple, it's not like I sweated over it. 3 Chuck Berry chords and a solo.  BFD. I literally learned that in 5 minutes. 

I'll say this -- playing in styles other than Dino and Metal makes you learn shit you wouldn't always encounter, and makes it a better-rounded player.  And that's one of my goals here. 

I know what you mean, and I agree. I was kidding (mostly) because I kinda hate that song... It's probably one of the one songs I would push very hard NOT to play if I was in band situation, but I know I would eventually have to play it. Everybody seems to like it...
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,630
    "He's a great bassist, but he only wants to play Trumpet."
    Curious. If the guy is a great bassist, he must be enjoying the bass one way or another. So maybe he's actually not that great as a bassist, and that's why he insists on trumpet... 
    "By the way, his name is Flea, and we think he don't want playing bass because he's on another band doing so".

=)

Dave is in the way to some drama in his life.

20 years ago I was asqued to join a band and do the guitar thing and some production by the drummer of the band.
    After the third day of the album recording, I'd fired the drummer, seated my mate on drums, writed the 50% of the album's music, plus arranged the rest, played all the solos... and they hated me, but loved the album.

They did a reunion gig 5 years ago. I have notice of that on youtube.

So, you know how things are.
    If you want some social benefits, stay low and enjoy as much as you can the playing on an amateur band.

Good luck!!!

• if i had a corporate/party band, i would be playing a fuckton of Daft Punk and Pharell Williams.  that shit will tear a live crowd a new asshole.  people will get too drunk, make poor choices, and behave recklessly.  admittedly, these artists require a rhythm section that can get out of their own way.
  • Going to another rehearsal in about an hour. Supposedly everyone who's still in the band will be there. We'll see. 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
    Um  ........ Did anybody else show up?