Morglbl , Plymouth Mountbatten 09/16

This part of the world is a bit off the beaten path for decent music shows. So when I found out that one of my very favourite bands was playing just down the road, I was quite excited.
What I wasn't expecting is that the venue was a small conference centre, with about sixty people in attendance. Definitely up close and personal!
Three staggeringly-talented musicians, having fun, joking with the punters and playing ridiculous shred-jazz-funk metal.
As far as a set-list goes, they played loads of stuff from their current album and their backcatalogue. Now, I knew all the tunes, but I don't know many of the titles. (They're all instrumentals, they're in French, and I tend to listen to them on my ear-pod at work)
Like you guys, I have seen many of the "big names" in rock and metal guitar. Only three times have I found myself laughing out loud in joy and amazement at a player's ability - Yngwie (way back...) Paul Gilbert, and Christophe Godin last night.
They  finished with an impromptu cover of a Dio song, with the promoter's missus on vocals.
Obviously, time afterward for loads of signatures, photos and general fanboying with the guys.
It was brilliant, and I'm still a little shell-shocked by the whole experience!

Here's a clip, shot by my buddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqw1O27tGiw&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• OskyOsky Posts: 842
    Nice one! Gotta admit I'd never heard of them but he can certainly play! Quite Holdsworthian in places. You lucked out there seeing them locally in such an intimate venue! Had a look around on Youtube and he's quite a comedian too... this clip about the differences between jazz and rock guitarists made me laugh...

• yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,458
    Christophe Godin came 2 years ago to the music school show and I saw him before at Musikmesse (he remembered me from there !). He's such a goof and an amazing player, he should do G3 instead of Phil Collen.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,128
    I've seen him do a one man show to a -1. Was awesome. 
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,442
    I just found another video, shot from the same gig - this one really shows off what it was like!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-OcJytQ54

• Good gosh, that guy is no joke!  He makes it look easy.  Side note:  Phil Collen on G3?  Of all the well-known guitarists in the world, I'd probably like to see him least.