Ghost

SkyeSkye Posts: 1,574
edited September 12 in Video Clips
Anyone into these guys? My wife heard a couple of their tunes and told me to check out Ghost. I'm aware of them, but never listened to them. I figured it was some dirgey, Swedish death metal bullshit with horrible vocals, but I was wrong.

They remind me of early Judas Priest and Black Sabbath, with tremendous pop sensibilities. Of course, they're totally riding King Diamond and Mercyful Fate's whole trip from like 30 years ago, but still it's good stuff. 

The whole horror vibe they portray is equal parts good theater and total cheese, and the weirdness of Papa Emeritus and the Nameless Ghouls (where none of the band members is ever revealed and all are referred to as Nameless Ghouls, with nothing but an elemental symbol to differentiate them) is pretty bizzare, but the fact that the video that goes with this song plays like an old Hammer or Universal horror film is pretty cool.

Square Hammer

Cirice - the intro to this is very Sabbath like.

Square Hammer live clip...song starts at 2:50

Post edited by Skye on

Comments

• gqn_angelgqn_angel Posts: 1,275
    I guess I can say that I'm a casual fan.  They are very BOC-ish to my ears with some more modern touches.  They did really well opening up for Maiden this last tour.  Cirice is a cool evil-sounding tune.  Square Hammer has that earworm quality.  I love their melancholic cover version of Here Comes The Sun.
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,574
    edited September 12
    Yeah the chorus to Square Hammer is catchy as hell!

I can see where you are coming from with saying they have a BOC vibe.
    Post edited by Skye on
  • I'm a casual fan as well.  I'd heard them awhile before I'd seen them so didn't know about the horror vibe/look initially.  Zero interest in it myself but bands can always use something to distinguish themselves visually.  Their songs stand up to repeated listening and they don't sound like other bands out there today.  I like the BOC feel, sometimes wish they were heavier but enjoy most of what I've heard so far.  
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,489
    I find them on the bland side musically. But they have their fans. So more power to em.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,114
    Very meh member to member but they know how to write catchy tunes. Not enough to keep me hooked. They need at least one person in the band who can do better. Either a vocalist or a lead guitarist or preferably both for maximum dino rock pleasure :)
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,129
    If that band was heavier I would like them much better. They write good songs.....but nothing blows me away. I think at times the music is too polished and layered(especially the vocals)....it it was stripped down a little and heavier I think they would be a much better band.
  • i wanna like em, but where's the guitar?  every song i hear, i keep imagining Randy Rhoads playing guitar on it, and i'm like, damn!  where's the hammer?  a song about a hammer should have a hammer somewhere.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,902
    That band rubs me the wrong way...  I think I'd respect them more if they weren't trying to pass as metal. They can write extremely catchy tunes, but otherwise they're sugary to the extreme IMO, and what I hear is simple power-pop more than anything else.  Nothing wrong with that of course, just not for me. 
    i wanna like em, but where's the guitar?  every song i hear, i keep imagining Randy Rhoads playing guitar on it, and i'm like, damn!  where's the hammer?  a song about a hammer should have a hammer somewhere.
    Well, now my creepy thought is Randy under the mask! Jeez...

Anyway I think Square Hammer is one of their more pop tunes. A lot of their other stuff is heavier. But yeah the guitars are pretty buried in the mix, the keyboards are very predominant. Check out that live version though the keyboards are more subdued and the guitar is more front and center. I kind of like the solo, it's understated but he plays some cool stuff there. But I do get what you're saying

I was actually surprised at how heavily produced this stuff is.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,175
    edited September 13
    imo
    That band rubs me the wrong way...  I think I'd respect them more if they weren't trying to pass as metal. They can write extremely catchy tunes, but otherwise they're sugary to the extreme IMO, and what I hear is simple power-pop more than anything else.  Nothing wrong with that of course, just not for me. 

Ghost was one of the last more recent bands I checked out, and one of the contributing reasons for my bizarre turn away from Rock. I was recommended them by friends that I usually have a great amount of respect for, and was depressingly underwhelmed and gravely disappointed. If this is what Rock was sounding like today....

However, some of my displeasure might have had to do with the beforehand comparisons to classic 'Fate/Diamond, which NONE of this holds an unlit candle to imo. It's not even good, post "Welcome to My Nightmare" Cooper.

A couple of things I heard would be fine in the back round if I was out visiting friends. But definitely not Xmas list material, nuh-uh.

If I want to listen to a fine, relatively recent band with MF tendencies, there's always Portrait.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,395
    I saw them open for Maiden. I don't understand the fascination with them. Mediocre songs at best. Good stage show and visuals, but they do nothing for me and don't sound like any metal band at all. Especially Fate.

They remind me of BOC in costume.
    Elements of the image are definitely influenced by Mercyful Fate, not the music. 
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,489
    I've read where the backup band members keep changing  (?)
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,757
    Yeah, the singer owns the whole thing, and fired the rest of the band recently.
    It's the advantage of having a name-faceless band, and pretty standar on the playing (not bad, only standard). You can replace them at your likes.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,902
    Indeed, it's a one man's business. There's a lawsuit with ex-members because they allegedly didn't get paid properly.