Chet Thompson

Anyone remember this guy? Man, talk about underrated. Chet Thompson, who played in a band called Hellion, was a student of Randy Rhoads, and a seriously awesome player. 

Check out that huge tone, and the awesome main riff of this song, plus some very clever chord changes during the chorus, and an intense solo that deftly covers all the best things about hard rock guitar. All played with balls, attitude, and a terrifically aggressive approach. Totally kicks major ass.

Comments

• VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,697
    YES! He used to play the guitar upside down at one point during the shows etc.. 
  • Those were the days!

Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,757
    She-Percy singing!!
    That thing?

• SkyeSkye Posts: 1,574
    That thing?

Yup!
    She-Percy singing!!
    Lol....Ann Boleyn. 
  • Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it.

I remember these guys from old Circus magazines but I had never seen them. Great technique and monster tone. Killer player no doubt about it!
    edited September 8
    Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it.

I remember these guys from old Circus magazines but I had never seen them. Great technique and monster tone. Killer player no doubt about it!
    Cool. Glad you liked it. I remember being aware of them when I was a kid, but not really knowing much about them or being particularly into them. He ripped though.

But I did not know that Chet was a student of Randy Rhoads until many years later. 

I love what he does with this solo. Lots of cool flashy things, but also some straight-up really ripping runs and I really dig that weirdly melodic ending lick. 

I think you can really hear the RR influence. And there's even an Yngwie-style pedal tone lick in there!! 
    Post edited by Skye on
  • Disciple83Disciple83 Posts: 295
    This kicked arse!  What happened to this guy?
    This kicked arse!  What happened to this guy?
    He's still around. He has a YouTube channel with some cool clips, some as recently as a year or so ago. I don't know what else he's doing but I saw some stuff on his channel.

• whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    edited September 10
    I remember him! I have a Guitar For The Practicing Musician Magazine where he talks about his experience being a student of Randy's. He'a also featured on The Star Licks Jake E. Lee Instructional Video. I have that buried in my Garage somewhere. At the end of the video he plays some of that upside down two handed stuff. He's a really solid player for sure. 
    Post edited by whoopass1 on
    They're some videos of that guy with another metal band, WWIII or something alike.