Disaster finally strikes back -- Dave Hlubeck

Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 15,890
edited September 4 in Bring Out Your Dead!

http://bestclassicbands.com/dave-hlubek-obituary-9-3-17/
Will they be able to carry on with only two guitarists?
Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.

Comments

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 692
    In the past few years, I've been to funerals for people who looked healthier than Dave Hlubek. I love some Molly Hatchet, though. I think they were one of the most dino-like Southern Rock bands. 
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,450
    edited September 4
    Never a big fan, but in 85 on a wim I bought their "Double Trouble" live album.
    Which is big fun, southeren boogie rock ?
    Unfortunately I lost it in a series of moving from one home to another over the years.

RIP Mr Hlubeck.

Post edited by Agrippa on
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,778
    Molly Hatchet was a huge part of the soundtrack to many high school and college keggers. Many people called them Skynyrd grave robbers, but I think they took it to the next level. Of the three guitarists, Hlubek was the most visible if not the most audible. RIP
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,129

http://bestclassicbands.com/dave-hlubek-obituary-9-3-17/
    Will they be able to carry on with only two guitarists?
    He was the only original member.....and for years he was out of the band and no original members....or even anyone from the classic era....so they are back to being a Molly Hatchet Tribute band.....

Always dug the first two Hatchett albums. Their version of "Dreams I'll Never See" was amazing....and I will dare to say better than the Allman's version. Those albums brought out the redneck in everyone. Song's like "Bounty Hunter", "Whiskey Man", "Fall Of The Peacemakers", etc were classic songs. Hlubek was part of a great 3 guitar attack. Shame everyone but Steve Holland from that original lineup is gone. RIP Dave...
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,114
    Best thing about the band has always been the artwork. I won't complain if I'm at a friend's place and he's spinning them though. 
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,902
    Best thing about the band has always been the artwork. 
    I remember that, as a kid, I checked out one of their albums (I think it was "Beating the Odds") based on the artwork, and felt cheated because I didn't expect to hear southern rock...  That being said, they were a good band, with fine guitar work, even though they were obviously derivative of Skynyrd. I'm not much into southern rock, and nowadays I don't even own one of their albums, but I don't mind the occasional listen. And they were probably best seen live. 

• I can enjoy a bit of Skynyrd once in a blue moon, but I never got into MH. I'm just not a fan of the whole southern redneck rock thing. I'm also not a jazz rock, Steely Dan fan, but it's still rotten to lose players at these ages.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,014
    TravisW said:
    I think they were one of the most dino-like Southern Rock bands. 
    Indeed .   The first two albums are awesome .

Believe it or not Maryland has numerous redneck strongholds and " Hatchet " is still revered . I've been playing MH covers for decades . Their current singer is actually from Maryland .

I've even done a few gigs opening for MH and one of Dave Hlubek's bands " The Rhythm Pigs ". 

Boy do I have some war stories about Dave Hlubek . First and foremost , I've never witnessed anybody who was so totally coked out and obnoxious as the guys in MH .  Dave Hlubek was especially gross and REALLY scary . I have a very vivid memory of Hlubek  hocking up a mouth full every thirty seconds then spitting globs of lung pudding ALL over the stage . 

I'm pretty sure he out lived all of the original members . I heard he had a heart attack a few years back and stopped doin' blow and drinkin' whiskey . The last time I saw him he was BIG . He had to be close to 300 lbs .

Regardless of my urge to gossip , in spite of everything negative about his lifestyle , he was a fuckin' bad ass guitar player who never " mailed it in ".  I'd say his style was equal parts Ted Nugent & Johnny Winter . RIP Dave Hlubek.