My Sweep Picking Ebook-Free

Hey, any of you guys who are interested in Sweep Picking can go download my Ebook for Free here:
www.melodicfireleadguitar.com
Enjoy!

Comments

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,331
    You make it look effortless. #envy.
  • Nick LaytonNick Layton Posts: 644
    Thanks bro--a lot of work went into making it look that way :-) Sweep picking did NOT come naturally to me, so it was a lot of work to even get it serviceable. Then it finally clicked one day. 
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,158
    Oh!

I have been trying to get that down for years, still can't do it. Gonna give this a try!
    Thanks a ton Nick! You rock :D 
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,971
    I just downloaded it. Thanks a lot for sharing this, Nick - a lot of work obviously went into the making!   
    Thanks for checking it out guys! Let me know if you have any questions..always happy to share what I've learned.
    I've been posting some related videos on my youtube channel, so if you are interested in this sort of thing please subscribe. 
    http://www.youtube.com/NickLaytonGuitar
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,117
    Hey Nick,
               Sweep picking is one of those techniques I've never felt comfortable using. A couple of songs I used to play required some of it so I learned what I had to to pull them off but I never found a way to transfer that bit of knowledge to any other works or any of my own songs. I've just downloaded your course. I'll probably be the worst student you've ever had but I'm going to give it a good try.

Thank You for the opportunity to give it a shot. :)

Rick
    Haha Rick...I know where you are coming from because I struggled with it too. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    To be clear this course is aimed at people who just want to develop the technique. I do cover a bit of theory and application as well, but I have new courses coming on the creative application of this stuff...and that's where the real fun begins. But before you can get very creative with it you've got to get some reps under your belt and that's where this free course comes in.

I would encourage anyone even remotely interested in the technique to check it out. At the very least you'll get a cool jam track out of it and on the positive side you might actually find an exercise that helps this technique "click" for you.

Thanks for checking it out!
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,023
    NICE !

I love this kinda stuff .

Obviously there are multiple " forms " or " patterns " .  I struggle with the " roll " .  In the popular Am form the roll happens on the 14th fret G&D strings .  Michael Angelo Batio and the guy from Dragon Force are masters of this .

What I've seen on your vids is silky smooth . Awesome !

My question is : Did you concentrate on ONE particular left hand pattern that allowed you to polish your technique ?

If so...which one was it ?

AND.....Is there too much emphasis on the left hand ? Is right hand technique the key element ?

• Hey bro, thanks for checking it out.  I think both hands are equally important and have to be in sync before you can really sweep cleanly. But I will say that the right hand (left for me) is often overlooked in the whole muting process. Many times I see people with sloppy sounding sweeping and I can see that it's because they aren't muting properly with the right hand. Having said that, if both hands are totally in sync and your fingering is spot on with the left hand, you really shouldn't need a ton of muting with the right. I don't think Batio does much, if any, right hand muting at all.

For me what worked was massive repetitions on the 3 string minor shapes. Play them over and over in a looping pattern, being extremely aware of any excess noise and eliminating it. Then expand the 3 string shape into a 5 string shape and practice going between the 3 and 5 string shapes without missing a beat. Once you can do that you can easily apply the technique to major or diminished shapes. 

Another thing I did was practice playing all of the diatonic triads in a given key using 3 and 5 string sweeps. This tends to be a more musical way to practice and you can even practice in this way over a jam track.

Hope that helps!

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 747
    Looks good! I just downloaded it and it looks really well put together. On a good day, I'm fair at sweep picking, but then I don't really do tons of it so I'm generally okay with that. But when I was learning...what a PAIN! Looking back, I would have been much better off working from the arpeggio ideas and shapes first, then applying the actual sweeping techniques afterward. That would have given me more musical applications out of the box and given me more "hooray!" moments when the economy of sweep picking actually allowed me to increase my speed. Instead, I learned to go "Hoodleywiddleywomp!" and was stuck trying to find contexts where it worked.

• Exactly! That's why I put shapes and basic exercises first in this ebook. Enjoy!
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,808
    Everything goes easier with a good teacher and manual!!!
  • Thanks man, I agree :-)
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,582
    Very cool Nick. Just checked out some of the YouTube videos, great stuff! 
  • Appreciate it!