NAD - First Fender

It's gently used, but must not have ever left the previous owner's house. First real Fender amp I've ever owned. It's a Supersonic 22.

Definitely a departure from my Marshall and Vox amps. This amp is 6V6 powered, open backed, so it has a much looser, spongier sound and feel. It's nice to have the variety.

Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!

Comments

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,158
    Cool! You can really get some nice tones out of those Fender amps. I would love to have a small, low powered head to go with my Marshall and Orange :) 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    If I remember well, those have a damn good distorted channel for creamy leads.
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,458
    Isn't it like the Pro Sonic used by Matthias Jabs ?
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,823
    Yeah, it is from the same lineage as the Pro-Sonic. I remember playing a PS many years ago, and it was a fire-breather. The Burn channel on this one is think and creamy, but the distortion is not over the top. My fuzz pedals sound really good in the clean/normal channel too, and my wah just sings in both channels.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    Well then, congrats, and play it in good health :)
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,971
    Congrats! =)   I never tried one of their Supersonic amps, but I've always heard good things about them. 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,198
    yngwie666 said:
    Isn't it like the Pro Sonic used by Matthias Jabs ?
    The Super Sonic is based on the Pro Sonic. Those Super Sonic amps sound great....especially the 60 watt 6L6 versions. Nice gain channel for sure on those.
  • gqn_angelgqn_angel Posts: 1,289
    Congrats Chris!  You will enjoy it.  I've got an older Supersonic 60 head that I prefer over any of the EVH amps.
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395

I played one of these a long time ago. I remember digging the "Burn" channel. These amps are cool. Nice Score!

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,117
    You did great Chris. I've played them, listened to others play them and found a Greg Koch interview some time back where he touted them as the best new amp series Fender's come up with in many many years.
    After I'd played a few versions in the series I found the Super-Sonic amps to all have excellent higher gain channels, nice as always Fender cleans and, (only on the combo versions), a very nice one knob reverb.

The reverb is really nice. The first time I tried this amp, the reverb wasn't working. The store staff told me that a new tank was on order, and they were all set to repair it. When I played it again a week later the new tank was in place, and right away I could tell how lush it was. It's a genuine spring reverb, and there is a huge difference between it and the solid state reverbs that are in my Marshall and Vox amps. The solid states sound okay, but this one sounds better, HUGE even! A little goes a long way, like at 2 or 3 on the knob. Anything higher than that and it's surf's up!

My younger son is learning drums and is taking his lessons at this store. That's how I get to hang out there for a half hour every Tuesday evening. Oh yeah, and the lessons entitle me to 15% off anything in the store over $100, including used items. This amp was a steal.
    So it's been a couple of weeks. How goes the relationship with your Fender amp?
    From day to day I switch around on the amp I use. The Fender is a different feel from the Marshall and Vox amps I have, for sure. The high gain side sounds best wide open, no effects other than the occasional wah. This is a sound that lets me just get lost in the playing, not thinking about what I'm doing or anything else for that matter. It's addictive. The clean side sounds great with fuzz and phaser. I'm pleased with it and I like having the variety.

As I play classic rock songs that I've been playing for years, I can hear how certain songs just sound better on the Fender. I imagine the original recordings were made using cranked Deluxe Reverbs, Twin Reverbs and Bassmans, not Marshalls.
    Yes. On my stereo rig I'm plugged into the clean channel of both Fender Concert amps. If you like to use pedal effects nothing works better than a Fender amps clean channel. Phasers, Flangers and Choruses sound open and alive. The control knobs on a gain pedal seem to have more of a usable sweep. You're not stuck between 10:00 and 2:00. The number of pedals you can use in your chain without turning your tone into crap is more than I've tried so far. On my Cornford amp I need to stay under four pedals. My Underground 30 seems to top out at around six pedals. On my 2 X Fender Concerts stereo rig pedal board I run anywhere from six to fourteen pedals, (hey ... psychedelic music, or maybe just my psychedelic brain, requires this number of pedals). Whether six, nine, eleven or fourteen the quality of the amps tone remains the same. All pedal freaks should own at least one Fender tube amp just for the availability of it's clean channel.
    Yeah, Rick. Some of the best pedal sounds I've ever heard were through a Deluxe Reverb.