GREG HOWE - New York City - Aug 2017

after X amount of years he finally made it to New York. Don't know if anyone else on the forum was there but I thought he was great.
Photos here-

https://www.facebook.com/ElectricEyesPhotography/media_set?set=a.10212008532347590.1073742079.1201815026&type=3&pnref=story

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 15,949
    Missed it. Check your DRG message inbox.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,285
    Dave, got your message via e-mail and I responded that way
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,535
    Cool, Jeb, Jen, AJ And I are seeing Greg and Stu tomorrow in historic New Hope PA.  Jeb and Jen are drying up from Baltimore to meet us for the day.  Can't wait as it has been many years since I last saw Greg and he does not get around as much since he moved out of PA to the West Coast a few years back.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,503
    FYI
    Greg Howe's new album, "Wheelhouse" marks a highly anticipated return to his solo instrumental work. It features Greg Howe at his best along with appearances from guitar legend Richie Kotzen (Winery Dogs, Mr. Big) and legendary keyboardist Ronnie Foster (Stevie Wonder, George Benson).

The album "Wheelhouse" will be exclusively available during Greg Howe's "Wheelhouse" North American tour in August and will be official released worldwide on September 1st.

Greg Howe is hitting the road this August for his first ever North American tour featuring legendary bassist Stu Hamm and drummer Gianluca Palmieri! Kicking off on August 1st in New York, NY, the tour will continue throughout the United States/Canada and conclude in San Diego, CA on August 25th.

• MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 361
    Didn't see it in the photos, but did he play his new single coil signature model at all?
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,016
    Didn't see it in the photos, but did he play his new single coil signature model at all?

I believe he played his signature Kiesel  super strat for the entire show in New Hope Pa last Saturday . JayG was sitting right in front of Greg . Jennifer and I were on Stu Hamm's side and IMHO he stole the show .

Stu Hamm was hilarious . He was really fun to watch . I've seen him multiple times with Satriani where he played a more subdued supporting role except during his infamous solo spots . Stu talked to the crowd and set the tone for everybody to have a good time . The band were all smiles .

Greg grew up close to the venue and spoke of this show as a " homecoming " calling out his sister and other friends and family in attendance . The crowd was enthusiastic even though the band started at least 20 minutes late . I was pissed because the club has a strict policy that live music ends at 10 or 11pm on the dot and a DJ takes over . I thought the set was short and no encore was allowed .

It took them a few songs to warm up but once they got rolling jaws dropped and feet stomped . After 30 minutes everyone left the stage except for Stu Hamm . He played unaccompanied for 15 or 20 minutes which IMHO was the high point of the show . Then the drummer came back and Stu slapped & popped a killer funk groove that brought the house down . I can't recall witnessing a more bad ass display of bass playing . Stu is a fuckin' beast .

Then Greg came back and they played an all instrumental version of Zeppelin's " Goin' to California " featuring Stu's eloquent bass melody . Its a testament to Greg Howe's lack of ego as I don't believe most guitar heroes could deal with a bass player with SO much presence . Satriani kept Stu on a short leash . In some instances it was like it WAS Stu's band onstage . 

I always thought Greg Howe's super human left hand was the basis of his legendary legato . I was surprised that his right hand picking technique is somewhat secondary in his overall technique . I've always gushed over Howe's ultra fluid expressive legato . IMHO Howe is in a class by himself when it comes to legato  . What I didn't fully realize was the amount of right hand tapping he flawlessly incorporates to achieve the endless smooth legato that has become his trademark . I'd swear there was some form of tapping happening ever 20 seconds .

The set closer, JUMP , features what may be THE most mind blowing legato I've ever heard . I was stunned to see the entire melody requires hummingbird wing right hand tapping in perfect sync with left hand " pull offs from nowhere ".

I also noticed that Greg Howe's forearm muscles look like giant bungee chords .

One of the great things about these small venues is being able to hang out with everybody at the bar . It was awesome until Stu Hamm wanted to make out with my wife .
    FYI
    Greg Howe's new album, "Wheelhouse" marks a highly anticipated return to his solo instrumental work. 

The album "Wheelhouse" will be exclusively available during Greg Howe's "Wheelhouse" North American tour in August and will be official released worldwide on September 1st.

Yes indeed . I bought my copy at the bar ! Review coming shortly.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 15,949
    edited August 8
    MMMMMM Stewed Hammmmmm

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,147
    Sounds like a great show. I used to work with a guy that looked like a goofier version of Stu Hamm.....I always referred to him as Stupid Hamm.....good times....